[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I tried reading this book, but struggled

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: misc-ulysses.jpg (20KB, 374x478px) Image search: [Google]
misc-ulysses.jpg
20KB, 374x478px
It was boring and I couldn't grasp the language. Is it because I am too stupid, or have I not read enough books. I have perhaps read only five adult novels in my life. I am not much of a reader.
>>
>>9142988
>le different styles book

It's shit, don't bother with it. Masturbatory dross
>>
>>9142988

Ulysses is very difficult, don't worry about it.

If you want to get into literature, I'd recommend you read Steinbeck. He's great for starters.
>>
>>9143000
Thanks. I read Catcher In the Rye and The Stranger and enjoyed them both. The plain language appeals to me. Nice trips, also.
>>
>>9142988
you're the guy that made it two hundred pages right? lol you gave up fast. fuck outta here you pleb.
>>
>>9143019
I made it through one page, actually.
>>
>>9142988
>I have perhaps read only five adult novels

thats why
>>
>>9143014

Read some Vonnegut

>Nice trips, also.
Please don't do that here, lad.
>>
read the chapter summaries
>>
File: kid_computer2.jpg (33KB, 700x472px) Image search: [Google]
kid_computer2.jpg
33KB, 700x472px
>>9142998
>>
>>9143000
> Ulysses is very difficult
Spotted the stage 1 reader.

It's not hard at all, read Portrait first though.

> Here is a character doing something. Follows here his thoughts.

That's literally how most of the book is written. Now if you can't grasp that, I can't help you.
>>
File: this.png (322KB, 446x399px) Image search: [Google]
this.png
322KB, 446x399px
>>9142988
>or have I not read enough books
>>
>>9143096
>this

reading it now and shocked that people find it difficult
>>
>>9143096
>That's literally how most of the book is written.
It literally isn't. It's the main technique in just two of the chapters. The rest are written in a variety of different styles. You have clearly never read the book.

>trying to bluff your way to credibility on an anonymous message board
Oh, how I kek'd
>>
Gave up after 50 pages, realized that i didn't really understand what was going on
>>
>>9142988
>he didnt like the jokes
>he didnt appreciate how good Joyce is at portraying human consciousness
>he doesnt relate to Bloom's power level and/or Stephen's insecurities
I gave up on my first try too, read more books and try again in 6 months or so, worked for me
Also, dont try to get everything, just enjoy the ride, it really is a lovely book, it can stand infinite lectures, if you let it, it will never leave you
Also, the sirens is the best chapter, everyone who disagrees is a pleb
>>
>>9142988
>have I not read enough books. I have perhaps read only five adult novels in my life
this is why
ulysses is widely regarded as one of the most difficult books in the english language and has references/allusions on every page, shit the entire book is a retelling of the odyssey
come back in a few years after you've read more and give it another shot, try a guide or companion book or something. not memeing or calling you a pleb, I read it with a lot of supplemental material, having read dubliners and portrait, and a decent amount of the western canon and it was still easily the most difficult book I'd read. however, it was also totally worth it and deserves all of the praise it gets

>>9143391
this is a good post except you're wrong circe is the best chapter fite me
>>
>>9143391
>>9143432
>not the one with the drunk irish redpilled guys
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.