[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nietzsche

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

I'm halfway through On the Genealogy of Morals and to be honest, I'm having a hard time. I understand what he's writing but I don't really understand the significance of it. This is my first time reading any sort of philosophy besides The Republic.

Can someone give me a source that I can use to better understand the importance of what I'm reading and maybe what Nietzsche is trying to communicate?
>>
>>9142665
>first time reading philosophy
>starts with Nietzsche
>>
>>9142687
i didn't want to start with the greeks
>>
>>9142697
I can understand that, but Nietzsche?... personally i think is one of the worst options for introduce youself into philosophy
>>
>>9142687
this

Should probably start with, Kant, Hegel, Aristotle (Poetics)...
>>
>>9142697
Well you kinda have too... Or read a short text at least,
>>
>>9142665
Jodan B Peterson's lectures. First half of his personality lectures
>>
Focus on one of the 3 essays. They're different enough and understanding one of them is probably better than reading the 3.
>>
>>9142706
Holy shit, Kant and Hegel for starters, are you fucking serious? I'm a philosophy stundent and those philosophers are very hard. Specially Hegel, who is very abstract.
>>
>>9142729
I'm just starting the third, but I felt the first one was the most understandable to me. The second one was where I struggled a little bit.

I guess I shouldn't have started with Nietzche. Who should I read? I forgot to mention I've read Rousseau's discourse on inequality as well.
>>
File: Go.jpg (25KB, 524x400px) Image search: [Google]
Go.jpg
25KB, 524x400px
>>9142665

>Write Beyond Good and Evil
>Get told by your publisher that it's too difficult and not selling
>Write On the Genealogy of Morals to ease people into your philosophy
>Passive-aggressively note in your introduction that the inability to understand Beyond Good and Evil is not your fault, but the fault of the reader
>People don't even understand your new/simplified book
>tfw
>>
>>9142772
Shut up you syphilitic crazy man
>>
>>9142772

This.

Just kys, OP.
>>
>>9142793
Brain cancer nigga. We all know Big N died a virgin.
>>
>>9142795
Fine, how should I kill myself?

Should I start with the nooses?
>>
"One more dance?" and I'm like "Yeah"
How the hell am I supposed to leave?
>>
>>9142799
You sould start being an hero
>>
>>9142665
Yeaah... Nietzsche is really hard because he expects his readers to be smart. Notice how he writes aphorisms all the time.

The thing is he assumes that you'll do your research if you reaaally want to know what he's talking about.
>>
>>9142819
that's why i'm trying to do some research but you fuckers aren't recommending any sources and instead berating me as an inept idiot and telling me to kill myself

fuck you /lit/ i give up on philosophy
>>
>>9142665
I would look up some lectures on Nietzsche by a relatively well-respected professor. If they're good, they will give you enough context for a least an initial understanding of Nietzsche.

Completely disagree with everyone here and the "start with" memes btw. Start with what you are interested in and then branch out. There is nothing wrong with initial misunderstandings and not getting everything on the first read. It's a process amd starting with what you are interested in will allow you to be more committed to that process.
>>
>>9142828
Welcome to 4chan ¿First time here?
>>
>>9142846
it's my first time up your mom's anus
>>
>>9142851
>said the omega
>>
>>9142828
Don't give up. Everyone here is fucking dumb and is more committed to the memes than actual education. Just do what I said here >>9142843. It's going to be a bit of a struggle as you are trying to think in ways you have probably never thought before and that is okay.
>>
>>9142843
>Start with what you are interested in and then branch out.

ye but he asked for recommendation
>>
>>9142862
thanks i'll start looking up so lectures on youtube
>>
>>9142697
Nietzsche is a reaction to previous philosophy. If you don't understand philosophy previously you'll just go full retard and interpret him like the Nazis did.

At least you read the Republic.
>>
>>9142828
That's the tricky part with philosophy though, you can't give up. It's a lot of connecting the dots field.
>>
>>9142879
I know that, that's why I look up what he's referring to everytime he make's a reference. But even with that, I still feel like I'm getting a surface reading of his book. I'm trying to find a source that can help me interpret his ideas beyond what's written.
>>
>>9142892
Or you could read a fucking book.
>>
>>9142901
What do you think I've been doing? Reading a picture?
>>
>>9142909
You can't read a reactionary philosopher if you have no idea what he is reacting against. Plato is only the beginning, you have to read the presocratics and at least everything up to Nietzsche.

When I say read, I also mean something like lectures, courses, and so on.
>>
>>9142919
And when I say source, I mean give me some sources to different lectures, courses, books that I can read to better understand Nietzche.
>>
>>9142665
>>9142697
>>9142828
>>9142892

>wants to understand Nietzsche
>doesn't care about other philosophers

OP needs to stop being an impatient retard and start with the basics.
>>
>>9142772
I actually started with Beyond Good and Evil and it is quite readable.
>>
>>9142947
no fuck you i'm gonna read whatever i want and do what i want
>>
File: 1487373240023.png (377KB, 1164x948px) Image search: [Google]
1487373240023.png
377KB, 1164x948px
>>9142665
Nietzsche is as simple as it gets.

Affirm live. Evil != bad. Love your fate. That's basically it.
>>
>>9142697
S E N E C A
E
N
E
C
A U R E L I U S
>>
>>9142957
then you'll never acquire more than a surface understanding of Nietzsche. You want all the rewards without putting in any of the effort. Fuck you
>>
>>9142981

Don't forget Gaya Scienza and the Overman.
>>
>>9142665
Raymond Geuss and ourguy Greg Sadler have very informative youtube videos on GoM. check them out
>>
>>9142732
theyre.hard because they were terrible writers ehich led to horrible translations
>>
>>9143197
i didn't think they were that hard.

but lol i didn't know they were horrible writers. I do you know?
>>
>>9143309
how*
>>
>>9143016
how bout i fuck your mama bitch boi
>>
>>9142665
You don't have to literally start with the greek. When people say start with the greeks, they're usually meming and people mistake their words in the literal sense, but it is true to start with the greeks in the sense of reading summaries, and with an introduction to western philosophy, like that of bertrand russel's or antony flew's, after that, maybe actually start with the greeks
>>
>>9144296
I got an audible great sources lecture called Socrates, Plato and Aristotle; 12 hours worth of material; good place to start ? Also read Will Durant's summary for Plato/
>>
>>9144346
i have no knowledge of the material so i can't say...
but if it's accessible to you go ahead, and then read the actual greeks themselves later
>>
>>9142665
>Not Starting with will to power and Zarathustra
>being this much of a pleb in 2017
Just convert to Christianity already, geez
>>
>>9142892
You may just need a better edition of whatever work you're reading. If you got one without a 20+ page intro, and notes, you'll have a hard time understanding anything.
>>
>>9142665
YouTube.

Look up smart people talking about it. The significance is describing where all the recent degeneration in western society is fundamentally coming from.

Things to focus on: Will to power, Ressentiment, the priest class, Slave morality.

Also he'll sound like a /pol/-tier anti-Semite in some parts of the book, but just push on and you'll see that he attacks those guys too.
>>
>>9142919
But he's grown up in a platonic culture, so as long as he can connect the philosophy jargon with shit that literally happens in our culture he'll be fine
>>
>>9145134
Sure but he also needs to associate things with people so he can understand who nee chee is ranting about.
>>
>>9142697
>HEY GUYS IM HALF WAY THROUGH BUILDING A HOUSE BUT IT DOESNT SEEM TO WANT TO STAND UP, KEEPS FALLING DOWN

>I DIDN'T WANT TO START BY POURING A FOUNDATION OR BUILDING A FRAME, I'M JUST LEANING SHEETS OF DRYWALL AGAINST EACH OTHER
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.