[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are the Fagles translations of The Iliad and the Odyssey bad?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: 9780140275360_p0_v1_s192x300.jpg (17KB, 192x284px) Image search: [Google]
9780140275360_p0_v1_s192x300.jpg
17KB, 192x284px
Are the Fagles translations of The Iliad and the Odyssey bad? I'm planning on tackling the greek meme soon, and I have a copy of the Fagles version of the Odyssey which I have never really read. But I've hard mixed things about Fagles, so I'm not sure if I should buy a different translation instead.
>>
there are various advantages to all the different translations

for fagles it's readability

for lattimore it's accuracy

for pope and fitzgerald it's prose

but don't take my word for it, see what you enjoy for yourself by comparing line by line side by side.
>>
Fagles is fine. The only time you ever need to worry about the quality of a translation is when it's so old that it's in the public domain (any cheap paperback; wordsworth and dover thrift come to mind - which doesn't necessarily mean they're bad btw, just that you have to do some research before you buy), or when it says 'Translated by Constance Garnett'
>>
>>9142662
>prose
But its in verse anon....
You just mean style.
>>
>>9142788
apologies english is not my first language.
>>
File: 1484514697146.png (443KB, 960x948px) Image search: [Google]
1484514697146.png
443KB, 960x948px
I'm comparing translations and I've actually found Lattimore to be the most pleasant to read. Easier than Fagles, and I wonder if Fagles' translation is why I grew bored whenever I started to read The Odyssey.

Not even trying to be a pseud fag, I legitimately find it easier to read for whatever reason.
>>
just learn ancient greek, then you don't have to worry about translation quality.
>>
>>9143349
ok thanks
>>
>>9143246
I've read Fagles, Lattimore, Fitzgerald, and Rouse (a prose translation I never see mentioned), and I also like Lattimore's version over the others. He also wrote fantastic secondary texts on various Greek literature (the epics, poetry, and the New Testament, incidentally). I would highly recommend anything the guy did.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.