[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Y Haven't You Read Conversations With Goethe Yet?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

Yeah, why haven't you guys read this yet? It's basically /lit/'s fantasy come true. This guy Eckermann, who is a wannabe poet and literary scholar meets his hero Goethe when the latter is 70 years old and still livin the high Lit-life as one of humanity's artistic giants. Eckermann befriend's Goethe, becomes his editor and close friend, and ends up writing this book about his visits and conversations with Goethe that becomes one of the greatest literary documents we have. Eckermann, through his humble nature, knack for observations, and sheer love of Goethe, ends up producing one of the most extraordinary written portraits of a great artists, giving the world access to Goethe's intimate thoughts and ideas about a slew of subjects ranging from art to religion to manners, and many more.

The conversations between Eckermann and Goethe are beautiful and fascinating, and Eckermann, an introvert /lit/ geek, through his acquaintance with Goethe, ends up mingling with the high society of Goethe's day, going to parties, and the theatre, and to country retreats, etc. Eckermann's book was recognized as a great achievement by people who knew him and had read the book, but he did not gain wide-spread fame during his lifetime. History vindicated him though, and Nietzsche considered Eckermann's book "the best German book there is", ranking it higher in value even than Goethe's own works because of the invaluable access that Eckermann's book gives us to the mind of the great master, and the beautiful manner in which Eckermann records the scenes and impressions of his friendship with Goethe.

I am currently halfway through the book. It is really one of the best books ever written. It contains so many small moments of nobility and so much wisdom. Read it now. You will be jelly of Eckermann and your mind and spirit will be much improved.
>>
>>9142252
redpill
>>
>>9142261
Your shilling is getting lazy. Sad!
>>
>>9142275
what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>9142336
Capitalize the first word of the sentence, mongoloid.
>>
>>9142367
Y u so mad about gramer?
>>
>>9142252
Goethe's so overrated.
>>
>>9142648
Overrated? Here, west of Germany, he's severely underrated, and has been since the conclusion of ww1. The Eckermann book really is fun reading, even comfy, comparable to Boswell's SJ, but not better, unless youre hunting ideas. Everybody is familiar with Nietzsche's proclamation, his damning of Leopardi, and whetever else. Nonetheless, much of Goethe's own prose surpasses E imho. Esp Poetry and Truth and both Wilhelm Meisters. Reading G is like reading Law (not 'John' but the actual legal stuff and nonsense)-- it's hardly ever what you anticipate its being, i.e. far more interesting, and fluid, than it seems common to expect. FWIW.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.