[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stefan Zweig

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Stefan_Zweig_1900_cropped.jpg (46KB, 231x308px) Image search: [Google]
Stefan_Zweig_1900_cropped.jpg
46KB, 231x308px
Daily reminder: 75 years ago, 22th of February 1942 the world lost one of the greatest writers ever. He 404'd by hanging himself.
>>
>>9141758
I don't think he was amazing but he was alright and could've been great. I read The Chess Story. It was alright but I think there's a reason he's not very widely remembered and admired. Apparently The Chess Story is more popularly called "The Royal Game" in English translation.

Honestly, based on that book alone, I'm not too keen on deliberately going out and reading more by him.

Could you explain why you think this obscure and middling Austrian writer was one of the best writers of all time?
>>
>>9141861
(((Stefan Zweig)))
>>
>>9141861
He's not obscure. He's very well respected. It's fine you don't like him. No, I'm not saying these are reasons he is one of the greatest writers.
>>
>>9142502
>He's not obscure
He is.
>>
>>9141861
Read Post Office Girl (why do they chose that stupid name for the English edition?), it made my heart laugh and cry and get angry, sometimes all at the same time.

He was great.
>>
is he jewish?
>>
>>9143480
one of his parents were I think
is it relevant?
>>
>>9143489
DROPPED
R
O
P
P
E
D
>>
>>9143495
This board doesn't move quickly enough for these kinds of jokes to really make an impact
>>
I love him so much. He's greatly underrated by new generations, his writing style was charismatic but also so damn raw, emotions poured out of his pen to the paper, where they wait patiently to be read and wrap around your heart!
I agree that he could've been greater if he didn't commit suicide so "young". Nevertheless, his memoirs are the best parte of all his work, in my opinion. Especially " The World of Yesterday" which is a powerful account about the transformation of the world on the first half of the XXth century.
>>
File: grand.jpg (69KB, 650x410px) Image search: [Google]
grand.jpg
69KB, 650x410px
so he basically directed Grand Budapest Hotel, right? Which novel was it?
>>
>>9143713
Ah, The World of Yesterday. A fine, fine book. And his last. Do wish he had finished the book on Montaigne he was working on-- I've never seen any of it: Have you?
>>
He's one of my favourite authors as well. 'Chess Story' is great but it's essentially just a charming short story. I understand why people who read it may not feel the impetus to read his other works.

People should try 'Beware of Pity' or 'The Post Office Girl' if they wish to be able to more tenably appraise him as an author

The reason people like him (at least myself) is cause he showed a virtuoisity for capturing the pangs and leaps of the human heart. I've read almost his entite ouvre and don't think he has a rival in this department.
>>
>>9143962
Romain Rolland and Thomas Mann maybe
>>
>>9143994
I've been meaning to read 'Pierre and Luce;' I'm assuming you'd recommend it Anon? Does it have the same ethos/character of Zweig's writing (which I adore)?
>>
>>9143726
TGBHotel is loosely based on/inspired by 'Beware of Pity' and even more obliquely on some of his other works. Specifically the framing device in the movie is almost lifted word for word from 'BoPity.' If you enjoyed the movie I can almost guarantee you would like the book. It is one of the best novels I've read this year, and singly fueled my fanatic consumption of the rest of his work
>>
>>9144098
Fuck, I meant frenetic**, not fanatic
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.