[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just love confirmation bias. Some people seem to think that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: vE151213.jpg (17KB, 294x282px)
vE151213.jpg
17KB, 294x282px
I just love confirmation bias. Some people seem to think that such a bias is something to overcome, I disagree: it is wonderful. There is nothing more satisfying in getting a dopamine rush when your ideas and worldview get verified. And you know what? Just because I am reading books in order to get my views affirmed doesn’t mean that they aren’t being developed. Once in a while, yes, I or really my brain makes some little changes and fixes there, and there, so my worldview is better supported.

That is the thing, why would I fight against human nature, instead of empracing it? If I would actually read more opposing views, I’m either looking for errors in such reasoning so that my view remains strong, or I suffer from cognitive dissonance – which surely couldn’t be the point of reading?

There is nothing wrong with mental circle jerking. There is no shame in a personal echo chamber. In fact it is what everyone does. So what bothers me is when the social dynamics change, a schism happens, and I have to put effort into justifying my views. It is repulsive when you have to reconsider your viewpoints because some of the ideas you held are now associated with another group: the outgroup.

So /lit/, don’t pretend like the choices you make in what to read or not, don’t involve confirmation bias and tribalism. It is pretentious and obnoxious to claim so, we are naturally wired to seek out information, ideas and so on and so on, to support our predisposed position. I will not consider the ideas of some long dead philosopher who opposes my thought: it goes against human nature. At best, as I said, it will simply reconstruct my already held views, or even make these views stronger.
>>
>>9141161
You sound like you need the redpill of objectivity and truth, libcuck
>>
It's hard for me to accept that i have wrong thoughts.
>>
>>9141161
You sound like you're almost constructing a system of logic. I don't know if you've ever studied logic formally, but all such systems end up contradicting themselves. It's no foundation for a philosophy.

Everybody's got a worldview, there's no avoiding that. But a rigid one isn't healthy. It can leave you open to some nasty shocks and a good deal of anxiety. The more you commit to it, the greater the danger becomes.

You need to start allowing for the possibility you might be wrong. Because people who don't tend to be the world's biggest arseholes. I mean, listen to this prick: >>9141170
>>
lit doesn't want to accept that women have lives on easy mode and being an ugly male is hell. The truth is all around us
>>
when you have the right ideas, everyone agrees with you, even if you must weed through their assertions to the contrary
>>
>>9141338
I just take the findings of psychological and sociological research and bring it into a kind of fatalist conclusion. Some hold the view that cognitive biases can be overcome, that knowledge bring us towards a path of further enlightenment. It is there that I beg to differ. I will not pretend and delude myself into thinking that I can overcome these psychological processes, instead I embrace it, knowing that even when I didn’t, I would still fall for them – if maybe only a little less. Or, rather, I am skeptical of such a thing of fully overcoming our biases.

Perhaps new discoveries will change things. But for now I hold the belief that any kind of thought that contradicts these psychological realities is delusional and futile. And that is not to say that some ideas and views are not changable: in fact I think many might be. But whatever they are changable depends on your ingroup, high status individuals and physical and genetic realities. Few people would squabble whatever one plus one is really two, but on other matters the reality is that we will squabble and squabble unless there is something – maybe accumulating social pressure – that makes a final consensus possible.
>>
>>9141343
>being an ugly male is hell
women don't care primarily about the body.
behave like an alpha and they will love the fuck out of you. they're simple. like childs with tits.

but the two or three key facts about women that every man should know, any man wants to see. because we are programmed to adore them. because we need to think that theyre impossible to understand.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.