[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /lit/. I was wondering if any of you have read this book

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: Food of the gods.jpg (13KB, 135x200px) Image search: [Google]
Food of the gods.jpg
13KB, 135x200px
Hello /lit/. I was wondering if any of you have read this book before, or anything similar and would care to discuss it.

I'd like to find out about the critical reception of his thesis. Is it widely regarded as bullshit?

I'd also like to know whether you personally see any merit to his ideas. Going into the book I thought it would be a load of hogwash, but the examples provide strong support to his theory.

After reading this it has kind of sent me down a psychedelic history rabbit hole. Having used a number myself I find myself agreeing with him. Psychedelic plant use is an integral part of the human experience which in the past has been used as a powerful tool for shaping society and improving the life of the people who live within it.

HOWEVER: I do recognise that most authors writing about psychedelics are going to be pretty biased in their favour, perhaps reading in causation to history where there is only correlation. If anyone could provide me with history books not exclusively about psychedelics, but which perhaps indicate or mention their use amongst cultures from the past.

Cheers in advance
>>
File: Assortment-of-hallucinoge-010.jpg (37KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
Assortment-of-hallucinoge-010.jpg
37KB, 460x276px
Problems with Terry McK:
He misled his audiences about his psilo usage when at the peak of his fame. He had backed of big doses due to nihilistic trips. If people had known this he would have faced tough questions and lost out on the guru lifestyle.

Eschaton 22/12/2012 - this should be obvious.

Read Ken Wilber instead.
>>
>>9139309
>instead
Surely you mean "also"?
>>
>>9139355
Life is short, anon. Terry own span proves that.
Read his brothers book. If he couldn't persuade Dennis of his theories, how should we think of them?
>>
>>9139434
>If he couldn't persuade Dennis of his theories, how should we think of them?
What an odd thing to say. Not only evaluating a whole lifetime of visionary work on the opinion of one other person, but in fact the one person in the world MOST conditioned to be competitive with it. Weird...
>>
>>9139188
Check out the album Alien Dreamtime now, anon. Before it's too late.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
>>9139452
>the one person in the world MOST conditioned to be competitive with it
Scepticism arising from sibling psychodynamics rather than familiarity with, yet rational incredulity towards T McK's ideas - this is your thesis? Even though Dennis is no novice psychonaut himself? Really?
>>
>>9139309
Those Shrooms are adept at hiding.
>>
>>9139539
No, the post I was responding to was introducing it as criteria. I was simply saying it was irrelevant.
>>
File: cr-sun.jpg (1MB, 1163x1879px) Image search: [Google]
cr-sun.jpg
1MB, 1163x1879px
>>9139567
tfw you hit a good patch tho...like an old timey prospector finding gold.
>>
>>9139188
>most authors writing about psychedelics are going to be pretty biased in their favour,
And with good reason. I haven't read McKenna but had shrooms twice. One of the most interesting things I've ever done. Try them anon.
>>
If it's more of his "early humans/apes ate psychedelics which eventually gave us higher cognitive ability and consciousness" shit, then no, it's idiotic. Evolution doesn't work like that, straight-up, you don't inherit experiences from your ancestors just genetic information. inb4 psychedelics change and grow your brain chemistry maaannnnnn
>>
>>9139784
Experiences impact social culture, which becomes the environment that genes are either adaptive or not, therefore influencing what genes are successful.
>>
>>9139188
Is a diet book. I have been looking for a good diet book I have eating bread and cheese for 15 days lmfao
>>
>>9139894
Lmao that is SO fucking funny, anon, you should write a book about making jokes about books about food.
>>
File: 1487712780184.jpg (116KB, 319x315px) Image search: [Google]
1487712780184.jpg
116KB, 319x315px
>>9139784
>what is epigenetics?
>do psychonauts ever ramble their loosebrained nonsense & receive public acclaim?
>>
>>9139188
>DUDE WEED LMAO - The Author

Cease your degeneracy, anon.
>>
>>9141246
>i haven't read the book this thread is about
>>
>>9139784
Hi,

Do you understand what selection pressures are?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.