[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stoicism - getting started

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: s.jpg (15KB, 300x234px) Image search: [Google]
s.jpg
15KB, 300x234px
I want to read about stoicism as an applied philosophy of ethics. The more primary sources the better, although some contextualization would also be great.

Are there any books especially well-suited to this purpose? Trying to find a balance between hippy dippy contemporary shit and just primary texts.
>>
Nothing, /lit/???
>>
File: 5160XZ0BZ2L.jpg (32KB, 313x475px) Image search: [Google]
5160XZ0BZ2L.jpg
32KB, 313x475px
>>9137147
>The more primary sources the better
Epictetus, which that is NOT a bust of in your picture, despite what googole says, Seneca the younger, Marcus Aurelius, etc.
I've no idea what could be hippy-dippy in a contemporary rundown of the whole thing in something contemporary, so you're on your own. There's a likely a list in the sticky, but beyond that, read some reviews (for the contemporary)
>>
>>9137147
literally >>reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stoicism/comments/1br1tp/resources_for_those_new_to_stoicism/
>>
>>9139053
Whom that is NOT a bust of.....
>>
>>9137147
>reads philosophy once
lol stoicism/cynicism/skepticism/epicureanism is so le cool xDDD

Why can't I upload images?
>>
>>9139053

Stop posting and leave this board once and for all. Human nature precludes anarchy. You are presumably a woman. Everything about you is false.
>>
>>9137147

Check Long & Sedley, The Hellenistic Philosophers. It's a nice balance between primary texts (with a new translation) and contemporary commentary. But sadly enough it seems that the english (=original) edition does not separate stoicism, epicurism and skepticism into different volumes, so it may not be very convenient.

If there is a good english edition of Seneca's De Beneficiis (that is, with text and commentary and notes on the translation), it could be interesting too, since this book is full of "applied ethics" that still make sense, and it's a genuie, long treatise, unlike many other stoician texts. Or maybe Seneca's Letters.
>>
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/stoicism/

If you read all of this you will know more than 99% of people that discuss stoicism including me
>>
>>9137147

Start with Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. You won't need a lot of contextualization since everything he says in it is applicable to anybodies life regardless of who they are.
>>
How do I work Epictetus, Seneca, and Marcus into my starting with the Greeks?
>>
>>9140180

I would say don't, separate the eras and work your way through them chronologically.

Pre-Socratic Greeks, Standard Greek Philosophy, then Pre-Christian Roman Philosophy.
>>
>>9140185
Thanks, I'll do that then and see where it takes me.
>>
File: tips Christian morality.jpg (20KB, 474x528px) Image search: [Google]
tips Christian morality.jpg
20KB, 474x528px
>>9137147

>Stoicism
>>
>>9140211

>being Æutistic
>>
>>9140211

Nietzche was incredibly similar to Stoicism, though. He grew to criticize everything he'd once studied, but that doesn't mean there isn't a lot of overlap between Nietzche and the predecessors he built from.
>>
>>9137147
Stoicism is a set of inconsistent beliefs which attempt to encapsulate "things are ok, don't worry", with "exercising virtue is all that matters".
They leave virtue as a bit of a nebulous concept, it comes down to being in accord with the divine will or the natural order I think. However stoics are determinists so how is it possible to be anything but virtuous already?
>>
>>9140233

Virtue being 'living in accordance with nature.'

Nature being, 'your nature.' Nebulous only insofar as the answer varies between person to person.

It's a decent philosophy in the hands of a self-determined and individualistic person, which could be said of the people of import who practiced it thousands of years ago, but it says little of those who had followed in confusion the practices of Stoicism that we will never remember.

We can recall Diogenes way of life, but what of his disciples? Very little. They were likely very confused when they discovered that 'virtue' to Diogenes is very different from one that would be applicable to them, because most people on a general level need a system to conform to. That's where vague depictions of virtue as intended to be interpreted by an individual fall short, and a system of Officium as practiced by Romans excels.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.