/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are audiobooks literature?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: th.jpg (9KB, 267x300px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
9KB, 267x300px
Many people reach for audiobooks as a way to conveniently digest books while they work, commute, and so on. Of course, this is permitted. Many great works are available in this format, and the demand is there.

However, the cognition involved in reading a book, and listening to a recording of it being read by somebody else, is altogether different. Audiobooks are a more passive experience, and a step away from the way the author intended the book to be digested.

Unless it's a non-fiction or work of poetry, I don't see the point in them, unless it's for pseud reasons. Audiobooks are not literature, and those who partake in them should stop wasting their time, turn off their tvs, and actually read the thing as it was intended to be - not merely from a tape during your yoga class, lunch, work, car drive, etc

If you read audiobooks, why?
>>
>>9133997
>If you read audiobooks, why?
They're my only option due to eye problems.
What are your hot opinions on that OP?
>>
>>9134038
Well,Milton had books read to him. You probably 'read' a lot closer to the text than most people - in this sense you're an exception. I presume, though, that many people listen to an audiobook and come away with nothing apart from the plot.
>>
>>9133997
anything that's not really to dense or verbose should be retainable in audiobook format unless you got mental problems
>>
My job allows me 5+ hours a night to enjoy audiobooks, and a lengthy commute to and from it as well. Sitting down to read will put me to sleep in a couple of paragraphs.

Also,a skilled reader can make a book come alive by interpreting the characters with distinctive voices. If it isn't the author's endgame in writing,the results are fine by me.
>>
When a male narrator does a feminine inflection for a woman character it's usually jarring though. In your case I would favor non-fiction, radio drama and talk radio at work.

>>9134105
So you do admit an inherent shortcoming of the audiobook format - when it comes to more demanding prose, it's difficult to glean the meaning.
>>
>>9134181
>>9134135
>>
i hate audiobooks. i forget what i heard immediately after, end up having to start over many times, and after completion, i feel a bit empty. i remember "reading" it aka finishing, but the words aren't real to me. the memory becomes passive.
>>
I can only really enjoy audiobooks if I've read the text before
>>
>>9134251
same. I gave them a shot but they suck and retaining what I just heard becomes difficult unless it's the most straightforward of subjects or stories. I wish I could enjoy them as I spend a large amount of time driving.

They're also stupidly expensive if you go they paying route
>>
For whatever reason I only enjoy listening to autobiographies that are read by the author.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.