[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

fishing/sea books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: the old man and the sea.jpg (42KB, 380x600px) Image search: [Google]
the old man and the sea.jpg
42KB, 380x600px
Hey /lit/, I just finished The Old Man And The Sea, and I loved it.

I know that you'll probably say to dig into some more Hemingway, but I was curious about other stories about fishing and the sea/ocean.

My dad is a fisherman (sort of) and I've been fishing with him before so this book sort of resonated with me on a personal level, and I'm interested in more like it.

But no fantasy/sci-fi shit please, I want stuff that is based in reality.
>>
>>9133075
The Sea Wiolf - Jack London. One of my all time favs. Not so much about fishing, but about the sea.

also, Moby Dick - Melville.
>>
A River Runs Through It if freshwater fishing is fine.
>>
>>9133075
Joseph Conrad obviously. He wrote a number of sea themed novel, and unlike hacks normally writing these things, he in fact was experienced sailor. Just don't start with Nostromo. It's immensely complex and difficult read.
>>
>>9133107
>>9133294

Thanks guys.

>>9133149

>if freshwater fishing is fine.

Freshwater fishing is totally fine, that's what I have a mild amount of experience in actually.
>>
>>9133149
Came here to rec this, sounds like you would dig it
>>
>>9133107
I really liked The Sea Wolf as well. Really great character development and interesting plot.
>>
>>9135391
>>
James Hamilton-Paterson's 'Seven-Tenths: The Sea and its Thresholds' is an excellent non-fiction book about the sea. It's a mixture of science, history, and geography, tied together by the writer's own observations.
>>
Thor Heyerdahl - Kon Tiki
Jacques Cousteau - Silent World
>>
>>9138607
>>9138305

Thank you
>>
>>9133075
you better read Moby Dick next, bud, or I'm gonna come and git ya
it's the Great Marine Novel
>>
>>9133075
old man and the sea isn't about a fisherman per se. it's about an artist, his art, and getting older.

>>9133107
moby dick. cool if you want to learn about obscure whaling ship parts.

>>9133294
nostromo is difficult. it was my first Conrad though and although boring in parts, it was an overall solid read.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.