[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What book made you realize you loved literature /lit/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

File: WarandPeace.jpg (22KB, 250x400px) Image search: [Google]
WarandPeace.jpg
22KB, 250x400px
What book made you realize you loved literature /lit/?
>>
my diary desu
>>
In Search of Lost Time. That book is true patrician.
>>
>war and peace
>Using That Pic of Napoleon
Why
>>
Don Quixote, it was the first book I read just because I wanted. I hated reading during all of HS because it was forced and I was a piece of shit. After reading Don Quixote and loving it I started lurking this place to check for other interesting fiction books, only to realize I was a huge pleb, brainlet, degenerate and a pseud.
I will start learning math from the basics in march. Thanks for making me a better person, /lit/.
>>
Moby Dick.
>>
The very hungry caterpillar
>>
>>9127651
How are you learning maths? Something I should also do.
>>
>>9127610
harry potter, prisoner of azkaban
>>
>>9127664
I'm also starting to learn maths, i asked sci and they said Serge Lang's book basic maths is the best for this, gonna start with it see how it goes
>>
File: 51vAGUQo9FL.jpg (38KB, 323x500px) Image search: [Google]
51vAGUQo9FL.jpg
38KB, 323x500px
>>
>>9127664
I have a personal teacher, Mr.P. He likes reading too, we take little breaks to talk about whatever we are reading and crack some jokes.
>>
File: crime-and-punishment.jpg (46KB, 313x499px) Image search: [Google]
crime-and-punishment.jpg
46KB, 313x499px
Crime and Punishment. Maybe also some novellas.
>>
>>9127682
Does Mr. P ever grab your thigh?
>>
>>9127693
No, but sometimes he puts bananas inside my butt.
>>
>>9127675
>>9127682
Thanks.
Reckon there are any websites for maths, similar to Duolingo, etc?
>>
>>9127684
that's a damn book to get into at first imo, what age were you when you first read it?
>>
1984 probably.
>>
>>9127720
heard khan academy is good but i hate sitting around watching videos so i didn't really use it
>>
>>9127647
Sure they could use the one of him on a donkey but it takes away from the epic that is the book. I think it gives it a grand look to it. Napoleon was a rare figure, as rare and so great as the book cover it's on.
>>
>>9127722
Why? Because of all the confusing russian names?
>>
>>9127786
because of the subjects it touches, it's not an easy read
>>
>>9127610
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
>>
>>9127722
I only started getting serious when I was around 23 and had found /lit/. I couldn't believe how good C&P was, with it's religious discussions etc. "Do you believe Lazarus rose from the dead?" Moments like those just made me have such a feeling that I wanted more. Maybe because I was raised in such a religious family.

I've been a huge Dostoyevsky fan ever since, having now read most of his bibliography.
>>
When I was in high school I read everything Vonnegut ever wrote, most of it twice. I loved the way he used writing to do things impossible in any other medium.
I acknowledge that Vonnegut isn't amazing compared to a lot of the other names on /lit/ but I'll always enjoy his books just out of nostalgia now.
>>
>>9127722
>tfw my first dosto was BK at 18
I really loved it but I think I should reread it because I was too retarded (thanks to being young and not treating my fucked up brain) back then.
>>
>>9128138
Is that guy the gringo Cortazar?
>>
>>9127610
harry potter 1
>>
>>9128292
I've never read Cortazar. Should I?
>>
>>9127775
Yeah but drawing attention to how great he is defeats the purpose of the book
>>
A Streetcar Named Desire.
>>
File: trial-copy.jpg (371KB, 600x902px) Image search: [Google]
trial-copy.jpg
371KB, 600x902px
>>9127610
Franz Kafka

Reading him allowed me to see things that couldn't exist anywhere, save for the chasm between words and the mind's eye. Impossible positions. Losing a sense of reality. Taking things both literally, figuratively, and then at the same time. Forcing yourself to read it again and getting a different understanding.

Reading "Description of a Struggle" made me feel barking mad. "Poseidon" made me view the absurd ubiquity of bureaucracy. Everything he wrote felt... I don't know, human? Like I was reading not his words but his mind. It was something I never experienced before.

I'm re-reading pic related.
>>
>>9127680
same here, plus pic related.
>>
For me it's Eragon, the best fantasy novel
>>
>>9127722
I read C&P at 18 last summer
>>
>>9129602
xD war and peace was only written as a propaganda piece
Napoleon is viewed as a monumental figure by the characters in the book, even if Tolstoy himself doesn't like the man. Their worship of Napoleon makes the cover legitimate, imo
>>
The Allegory of the Cave
>>
>>9127610
Reading A Tale of Two Cities in highschool, plus shakespeare. I loved my english classes, but my mom forced me into STEM. Now I hate my life
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.