[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Lovecraft copyrighted? Could I write and sell stories that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: the_sea_web_new.jpg (171KB, 704x539px) Image search: [Google]
the_sea_web_new.jpg
171KB, 704x539px
Is Lovecraft copyrighted?

Could I write and sell stories that use Lovecraft characters and images?

Has anyone been sued or sent letters to stop selling lovecraft mythos stuff?
>>
ITT: I don't know how to google.
>>
>>9127110
For the most part, no.
Yes.
Yes.
>>
>>/google/
>>
>>9127119
>>9127121
>how do i think for myself and answer a thread properly

>>9127120
WUT
>>
Lovecraft is public domain. Completely. All of it.

You can print and sell his work as you wish. You can write sequels to the stories. You can make toys based on his work. You can do fucking anthing with it.

Have fun.
>>
>>9127256
Not sure why you're confused.
>Is Lovecraft copyrighted?
For the most part, no, but there are a few odd exceptions and publishers claiming copyright on certain later things.

>Could I write and sell stories that use Lovecraft characters and images?
Yes, lots of people have done so.

Has anyone been sued or sent letters to stop selling lovecraft mythos stuff?
Yes, they have, usually without any in-court success.
What was unclear?
>>
why does lovecraft imagery strike such a chord with people like videogamers and anime fans who have probably never read him and care about no literature besides him
>>
>>9128200
He hates nig-nogs.
>>
File: providence10-weirdpulp.jpg (198KB, 1179x1800px) Image search: [Google]
providence10-weirdpulp.jpg
198KB, 1179x1800px
>>9128200
Aesthetics
>>
>>9128200
that's a mighty assumption you got there boyo

I can only name 1 anime and 1 video game that has lovecraftian influence (Nyaruko and Bloodborne), and they're pretty fucking niche when it comes to video game and anime culture.
>>
>>9128200
It's all reddit memes that 4chan started. Everyone knows what Cthulhu is and also probably know that some guy named Lovecraft invented it.
>>
>>9127110
A lot of lovecrafts things used other people's characters and images, so yeah.
>>
>>9128200
Entry level?
>>
>>9128342
Everytime a kid mentions cthulhu (always comes up when they try to rank god's, idiots) in tutorials I immediately ask them what aspect of cthulhu was most terrifying for man.

Someone will inevitably Google the answer, shutting down the disruptive student's idiotic guesses.

Fostering bullying is one of the best for a of class management.
>>
>>9130566
what?
>>
>>9130566
This happens to you often?
>>
the problem with stealing Lovecraft's shit is that he's unique. there were very few writers who managed to hit that nail precisely like him, and most people recognize this. you steal his shit and they're all "oh, that's Lovecraft. why don't you do something original, fag?
>>
>>9130566
his flabbiness first, and then his stench. if you're tutoring kids, you'll know exactly what i mean.
>>
>>9128264
Providence is mind-blowing
>>
>>9127110
Fucking Google if it's in the public domain, you mong. It's not hard. If it's in the public domain, you don't have to pay for anything.
>>
>>9127110
i wanted to make a thread first but now i saw this one. i am currently working on making a infographic to show how certain works of lovecraft are interconnected (regarding characters or events that are being referred to) or are stand-alone stories. this is harder than i first expected and i was wondering if such a thing already exists in pieces, so far i just found a few articles for the dreamland cycle. can sb help me out here?
>>
File: MapofLovecraftUniverse.jpg (180KB, 1100x1100px) Image search: [Google]
MapofLovecraftUniverse.jpg
180KB, 1100x1100px
>>9131541
sorta like this but with more detail
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.