[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this a good starting point for philosophy? Is it too broad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Is this a good starting point for philosophy? Is it too broad to be worth reading?
>>
It's good to get a really skeletal overview of a thinker and it's well-written and fun. It explains the actual philosophy to a certain degree which can be handy if you genuinely have no idea what a Leibniz is. But it's not a systematic thing or a textbook.

There's a good audiobook of it that's up on Youtube.
>>
I think it's a real mess. you can safely skip it if you plan on reading the great philosophers themselves. if not, and you just want a *very* broad and selective and questionable overview of the subject, I guess it's better than nothing....
>>
>>9125540
He didn't even mention Leibniz tho
>>
>>9125523
>Is this a good starting point for philosophy?
There is only one good starting point for philosophy. It's called "The republic". Everything else is a footnote.
>>
>>9125654
what about the presocratics you philistine
>>
>>9125654
It's better to read The Trial's three parts before the Republic
>>
>>9125670
The Presocratics are really interesting (I especially love Heraklit and Empedokles) but you don't -need- to know them to get a clue about philosophy.
>>9125686
Same here, it's really interesting to read them and it helps a little to understand Plato, but "πολιτεια" is by far the most important book and the one book that's forming philosophy up until today. Those books are helpful - and I would wholeheartedly advise everyone to read them - but they are not mandatory.
>>
>>9125523
Yes. Will Durant is actually a compelling writer and this book actually gives you approximate knowledge of many concepts.
>>
>>9125523
audiobook version is on youtube. decent narrator. recently, i've been listening before going to sleep. good overview but don't expect durant to supply much in terms of argumentation
>>
>>9125523

It's not bad, but he does tend to lean quite heavily on the atheistic left. The Syntopicon is a better starting point if you want to know what a lot of different thinkers think about specific topics.
>>
>>9125624
Sorry, I meant Spinoza. I was just trying to use him as a general stand-in for a philosopher I found really puzzling before I read Durant. Durant's simplicity actually helped me to understand him more than reading advanced stuff did, because it cleared the ground a bit.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.