[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Modern/Abstract Art versus Classical/Popular Art

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: modernartviewer.jpg (24KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
modernartviewer.jpg
24KB, 500x375px
(Reply to >>9122827)

This essay makes sense of what happened to art following the dissolution of aristocratic societies (19th century), you can just skim-over any of the video-game specific jargon if you don't care for it:
http://culture.vg/features/art-theory/on-the-genealogy-of-art-games.html

tl;dr:
>art for nobles was entertainment: agonistic (technical virtuosity of the craft) pleasure.
>'meanings' and symbol-exploration were instead reserved for philosophy, since prosaic (compared to pure art, of course good aphorisms won't be dry) writing is the best tool for communicating these (art falsifies/beautifies/selects, philosophy objectifies and endures even the ugly truths).
>after slave/democratising revolutions these were compromised or even inverted: the technical bar to entry was lowered and ugliness was tolerated more, especially if it accompanied philosophical content such as moralising, politics, or 'the human condition'
>this culminated in modern art where being 'challenging' and having 'meaning' is important, and intuitive pleasures or an obvious hierarchy of technical-ability is absent
>however, the pleasure/technical-ability values of the nobles have resurfaced in popular-art: photography, cinema, popular-music (jazz, rock, electronic, minimalism), videogames, etc except now technical ability of a sole-craftsman has been replaced with the multi-disciplinary nature of these technologically-advanced products that require multiple craftsmen
>because of this nature, people who prefer the modern art consider these popular artforms to be crude, compared to the new single-craftsmen or symbolist/'meaning'-rich works of the modern art/avant garde.
>>
gonna need a tl;dr for that tl;dr
>>
>>9123462
Your post was too long. can I get a TL;DR?
>>
>>9124137
Request too long tl;dr?
>>
>>9124145
;dr?
>>
File: 1486845558352.gif (81KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1486845558352.gif
81KB, 480x360px
>>9124151
r. . .
>>
Art is gay.
>>
Crying about modern art is almost as retarded as praising it.
>>
File: 51y9DtmSKWL.jpg (41KB, 286x500px) Image search: [Google]
51y9DtmSKWL.jpg
41KB, 286x500px
>>9123334
This book really made me rethink modern art. Art means manipulation of the perceptive/symbolic environment. Art is a potentially dangerous thing, that's why it has to be reified into a representation of itself and kept in galleries. Most modern artists are 3rd or 4th gen recuperators selling commodified simulations of what the futurists/dadaists where doing a century ago or so, back then it was genuinely disruptive. Guy Debord said the art market was dominated by 'recuperated neo Dadaism' and I think that still applies for >99% of shit you see in museums today.
>>
>>9124193
>modern art is an expression of rebellion, often disarmed by its commodification
I already covered that in my tl;dr, it's also covered in my link; modern art seems to be more political than pleasurable.

But popular art seems to have just as 'potentially dangerous' an effect. Just think how society reacted to rock music or videogames. And that brings us back to the difference between modern art and popular art, it seems to be that the latter is a technological continuation of noble/classical art (pleasure, virtuosity) while modern art is using the existing artforms, or abstract ones, to put politics, symbolism, or ethics above pleasure.
>>
>>9124282
I agree 'popular art', specially popular music, has been way more influential than academic/professional art, which cares more about presenting itself as art than about really changing environments and symbolic structures. Academic art presents itself as something apart from life, a product for the consumption of a detached observer, while popular art is one with life. Videogames are first and foremost an immersive medium capable of altering your perception of life outside videogames. You start thinking about 'leveling up' IRL.

The distinction between politics, art and everyday life is completely artificial. The problem with modern art is the fact that it's not actually political, it is a representation of itself being political. For example the college spoken word 'poet' who just repeats everything the audience already believes while somehow presenting it as 'edgy' or unpopular. Even classical art is bound up with the whole symbolic order of the world from whence it came. Specially the religious order. Art for Art's sake is a relatively recent idea. Artists today exist within current political theologies, there might be a 'leftist' element here and there, sure, mostly due to recuperation, but the ruling form of political theology is based around commodity fetishism, ideology as commodity. Western 'multiculturalism' commodifies 'identity' while emptying it of all content, instead of organic being it's a stereotyped representation of being.' Multiculturalism' actually has it's origins in the colonial policies of the British Empire, ie. India Scotland.
>>
>>9124193
>massage
?really?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.