[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you use exclamation points without looking autistic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Exclamation_Point_Emoticon.png (17KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
Exclamation_Point_Emoticon.png
17KB, 720x720px
How do you use exclamation points without looking autistic?
>>
Start by not being autistic. I think it's pretty easy from there.
>>
My female superior at work sends me chastising emails with tons of exclamating points (like "Redo!") to sound more authoritative, I suppose. Shit's hilarious.
>>
>>9122990
Never use them at the end of a sentence. If you use pen and paper, make them exclamation comas, not exclamation points. If you're typing on a keyboard it's not as simple, but you can still add a coma just after the exclamation point, and not use a capital aftrewards, so that it expresses momentary excitement instead of autistic shouting.
>>
>>9122990
Sad! Many such cases!
>>
I like to be friendly and approachable and I'm always anal retentive about seeming terse in written correspondence. So I use exclamation marks in emails, even though I feel effeminate when I do it every fucking time.

All of my emails to professors look like I'm a milqueteoast beta male trying too hard to impress a girl on OKCupid or something. Whenever I write them, I picture myself as a guy in a sweatervest and bowtie being way too chipper and unsettling everyone. But if I try to write normally, it always reads to me like I'm being an asshole.
>>
Don't
>>
Italics pretty much replaced exclamation points in modern lit
>>
>>9123967

Use neither.
>>
>>9122990
>>9123967
>>9123043
is the post-ironic exclamation point going to be the next literary movement, and is it just going to end like any other memberberry-initiated rehash?
I hope not desu!
>>
>>9122990
In dialogue, and it if can be replaced by another method of conveying exclamation and still have mostly the same message, then don't use it.
>>
>>9122990
Due to the lack of emotion in the typical way Autistic people speak, using exclamation points makes you look the opposite of Autistic.
>>
if you're sincere, and you use the exclamation point sincerely, then the reader will know it, and you will have used it well.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.