[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it really worth reading this? It seems interesting, but on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

Is it really worth reading this? It seems interesting, but on the other side, I'm afraid it's just 400 pages of unremarkable memories. What do you think, /lit/?
>>
I didn't get past the second page. I hope it's because the translation was bad because holy shit.
>>
It's very comfy, but there's not a lot of philosophy/commentary, just his casual musings on (his) life.
If you want an easy and enjoyable book, go ahead. If you like denser and more subtle books, it's not worthwhile.
>>
>>9122678
read about 100 or so pages. it's not very good. he struggled as a writer before he was told (by his publisher?) to give it a shot. it kind of has no purpose, just exposition.
>>
>>9122678
yes, its an extremely good and important novel (important because it was one of the last nails in the coffin for postmodernism). book 2 is even better.

>>9122697
i literally dont understand how you could think this. the opening essay on death was amazing on both a stylistic and a philosophical level.
>>
>>9123434
i agree with this post.

my favourite one thusfar is volume five.

it is unabashedly cheesy a lot of the time, which is probably why a lot of these posters couldn't get past a few pages; he's not a "good" writer in conventional terms, and you don't read it because you want to read "high literature," you read it because it's empathetic thoughts from another human that mirror everyday thoughts. it's enormously comforting and makes you feel a really indescribable sensation; just give it a shot.
>>
>>9122678
>reading a book by a white male in 2017

hmmmmmm.. how about no
>>
>>9122697
The opening essay was the highpoint of the series, other than Geir. I'm not sure how you couldn't enjoy that. I wouldn't read past this portion if you don't like it. Book two was the best overall, but the first pages of the book one are as good as it gets.
>>9123231
>he struggled as a writer before he was told (by his publisher?) to give it a shot
This is factually incorrect. His prior books were very well received.
>>
>>9122678
It is six giant walls of meaningless and self-indulgent text. What is interesting about that?
Read Dostojevskij, Hamsun, Proust, Goethe, Shakespeare, Grass, DeLillo, Malraux, Tolstoy, Mann, Aeschylus or even Morrissey instead.
>>
It's literary cinema verite. Good shit.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.