[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Michel Houellebecq

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: bgh3BJfN.jpg (18KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
bgh3BJfN.jpg
18KB, 400x400px
Just bought three of his books (Submission, The Possibility of an Island and The Elementary Particles) for a pretty low price. What can I expect and if you read him, did you like his works?
>>
expect a cruel and smart description of the life of beta males. I really enjoy it. Dunno about the Possibility of an island, but the 2 other ones are great.
>>
File: 1336950019885.jpg (52KB, 567x633px) Image search: [Google]
1336950019885.jpg
52KB, 567x633px
Not to bash translations in general, but the English translations might make Houellebecq look a bit less nuanced than how he actually writes.

I consider the books are a reaction on the current way of living in western Europe, especially the regions France, Netherlands, Belgium and Germany, so if he names a politician look them up and see what they did and say to understand the situation.

For me Houellebecq is an important contemporary writer, I consider his work to be relevant.
>>
>>9121626
My opinion is similar to this, but Hollaback is really a one-trick pony, if you've read one of them, you've read them all. Possibility Of An Island is a bit unique because it's in a SF setting, but one of the characters is the usual beta woe-is-me self-insert he always makes his books about.
>>
>>9121612
i also like them alot.
the themes are a little repetitive, but its a very enjoyable read. the prose is easy, mais a point.
you can easily identify and still make fun of the contral character.
he is what id call a true conservative, however possibly a left leaning one. he has no great imagination but a pitiless view of our current times
>>
>>9121627
OP here.
I am actually German and read them in German, I don't know if the translation is any better than the English one, but I sure as hell will not start learning French. There's a reason I picked up Latin in school when I had to decide between the two of them.

Thanks for the input!
>>
>>9121630
>if you've read one of them, you've read them all
I don't agree. What you see in his early work is a display of the results of liberalism such as sexuality as a marketplace and the have-nots it creates in Whatever and the bankrupcy of progressive hippie idealism that has proven to merely be a cover for narcissistic self-indulgence in The Elementary Particles rather than achievement of a higher moral order as it was originally presented. He then explores hedonistic and transhumanist answers to these problems in the sci-fi tendencies of his work, but then in Submission he offers neo-traditionalism as a possible answer, not as one that should come about but as one that necessarily fills the vacuum our enlightenment values and their lack in providing order and meaning in our lives.

He broadly deals with the same subject, but explores it from different angles and deals with different solutions.
>>
>>9121652
>literally me
>>
>>9121627
How do you find the difference between the French and English?

I've heard people say that Houellebecq is considered a really brilliant but also very subtle
prose stylist.
>>
>>9121612

elementary particles > submission > possibility of an island
>>
>>9121658

''Dans un système économique où le licenciement est prohibé, chacun réussit plus ou moins à trouver sa place.
Dans un système sexuel où l'adultère est prohibé, chacun réussit plus ou moins à trouver son compagnon de lit.
En système économique parfaitement libéral, certains accumulent des fortunes considérables; d'autres croupissent dans le chômage et la misère.
En système sexuel parfaitement libéral, certains ont une vie érotique variée et excitante; d'autres sont réduits à la masturbation et la solitude.
Le libéralisme économique, c'est l'extension du domaine de la lutte, son extension à tous les âges de la vie et à toutes les classes de la société. De même, le libéralisme sexuel, c'est l'extension du domaine de la lutte, son extension à tous les âges de la vie et à toutes les classes de la société.
''

Houellebecq is pretty clear about what he's trying to say.

I think everyone should start with Whatever (what an awful translation of the title)
>>
File: iaintnohouellebecqgirl.png (444KB, 1048x683px) Image search: [Google]
iaintnohouellebecqgirl.png
444KB, 1048x683px
>>
File: Baumkuschler.jpg (74KB, 680x382px) Image search: [Google]
Baumkuschler.jpg
74KB, 680x382px
>>9121612
"Extension du domaine de la lutte" (edl), "Les particules elementaires" (pe) and "Plateforme" (pf) have a kind of an inner connection and you can consider them as trilogy. Therefore, you should at least read edl and pe one after another. Pf isn't that great imo but you should read it before you start reading "Soumission" - "Soumission" only get's really interesting if you know H's earlier writings: especially pf and some of the interviews he gave while he was marketing pf.
"La possibilite d'une ile" is oftentimes seen as a sequel to pe - but I think it's pretty much H's only failure so far.
>>
>>9122056
Top kek!
>>
Post twist: Houellebecq is marxist.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.