[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this man good? What is /lit/ opinion on him?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: bukowski-c-1981-by-mark-hanauer.jpg (166KB, 650x883px) Image search: [Google]
bukowski-c-1981-by-mark-hanauer.jpg
166KB, 650x883px
I am 3/4 done reading Ham on Rye and so far I liked it but it feels pretty average or maybe slightly above average to me. That's only book I've read from him, my friend recommended me The Postman, but she is a girl and all she reads is Bukowski, and after that she puts quotes on Instagram.

What is your opinion on him?
>>
Water World was way better
>>
>>9117609
what
>>
>>9117595
i don't like his prose, his poetry is alright
>>
>>9117653
>>
>>9117679
what
>>
I really enjoyed Ham on Rye, it's a nice little window to look through. It's one of my favorite "coming of age"-esque novels, though that opinion will give me flack on here. A lot of his other works come of as pretentious to me, as if he just loves being this shitty old alcoholic. He did, I guess. Some of his poetry is beautiful, some of it is rubbish.
>>
hack
>>
>>9117751
>>
>>9117595
One of the aspects of Ham on Rye that I enjoyed was how perfectly he described the hot and oppressive LA County climate. Most authors that write about LA aren't from their, so they love the weather. Nice to see an author describe it as a nice side dish to child abuse and whatever else he wrote about in that novel.
>>
go to a bar and pick up any old drunk guy and he will be as talented

women only read him because the man talks about women and cumming in a girl's navel and women feel "identified" and only read him to share quotes on social media to prove they know about sex and have a stronger sex drive than men, which they don't

men read him because they feel identified with the love and sadness and alcohol and all that shit, which is retarded, there's no benefit in reading Bukowski, his poetry is shit and his prose is even worst

>Love is a fog that burns with the first daylight of reality
>Find what you love and let it kill you
>She's love but she's magic. There's no lie in her fire

seriously, he's rupi kaur tier
>>
buk isn't gonna blow your mind with a novel. he wrote a lot and much of it isn't amazing. the only book I'd really recommend is Burning in Water, Drowning in Flame. I suppose you could read any of his poetry but he got dull by the end of his life. his 3-novel life story (ham, post office, women) is good for hardcore fans of buk who want to dive deeper in his personality. watch his interviews too.
>>
DUDE LIQUOR AND WHORES LMAO

DUDE GETTING A JOB AND PAYING BILLS SUCKS LMAO

there now you can say you've read his work.
>>
First off, he wrote a lot and tried to write for money and fame. Consequently, not everything was exceptional. He wrote some good books with some bad chapters. He also wrote some genius poetry amongst some real clangers. Unfortunately, he's been meme-ed on tumblr and pinterest and largely ignored by intellectual circles despite writing better poetry than most of the beatniks.

Give him a shot. I prefer is poetry desu.
>>
ignore this >>9119556

his """"""poetry"""""" is trash and should not be read or printed. it is trash
>>
if you’re going to try, go all the way.
otherwise, don’t even start.

if you’re going to try, go all the way.
this could mean losing girlfriends,
wives, relatives, jobs and
maybe your mind.

go all the way.
it could mean not eating for 3 or 4 days.
it could mean freezing on a
park bench.
it could mean jail,
it could mean derision,
mockery,
isolation.
isolation is the gift,
all the others are a test of your
endurance, of
how much you really want to
do it.
and you’ll do it
despite rejection and the worst odds
and it will be better than
anything else
you can imagine.

if you’re going to try,
go all the way.
there is no other feeling like
that.
you will be alone with the gods
and the nights will flame with
fire.

do it, do it, do it.
do it.

all the way
all the way.

you will ride life straight to
perfect laughter, its
the only good fight
there is

rate /10
>>
>>9120921
Nice meme.

Stop looking for Bukowski on Youtube and pick up one of his poetry books. Roll the dice does well as a performance piece because it shits on most slam poetry - as a page poem it is average Bukowski.
>>
>>9117595
Bukowski got me back into reading, after finding some of his videos i decided to read his poetry and then his books, even paying money for some. For me he was a gateway drug like ayyyweedlmao so he was very helpful for me, he is like the stereotypical heartbroken poet but angry and mean and ugly. love his stuff thought ham on rye was meh, postman was alot better.
>>
>>9119556
>despite writing better poetry than most of the beatniks.
Wow, what an achievement.

Could you post some of his really good poems?
>>
Post Office is his masterpiece, obviously
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.