[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do /lit/ think about Barry Shcwartz? Have you read any of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: The_Paradox_of_Choice.jpg (29KB, 430x648px) Image search: [Google]
The_Paradox_of_Choice.jpg
29KB, 430x648px
What do /lit/ think about Barry Shcwartz?
Have you read any of his works?
Does he know what he is talking about and do you agree or disagree with his ideas?
>>
Yeah, I was high in a Barnes & Noble, Psychology section, browsing bottom row of a shelf, and saw this book. I pulled it out and opened to the Introduction (or Preface, or whatever, it's been years) and started reading. The guy starts talking about how he was in a department store trying to buy some jeans, and there were all these different kinds of jeans to choose from, so he called over one of the employees, and was like, "Hey, can you help me out here? There are so many kinds of jeans," and the employer was like, "Yeah, there's quite a few, you've got these kind, and these kind, and these kind too, oh, and these kind..." And the way it was written you could see in your head the camera zooming in on this guy's face as he's listening to the department-store employee babbling about jeans, and his face just getting more and more horrified. Basically the guy went shopping for jeans, got overwhelmed, and went home and started writing a book.
>>
>>9116763
kek, but is it worth reading, mate?
>>
>>9116772
I don't know, I didn't get past that part.
>>
>>9116747
I had the same experience last year buying light bulbs. I remember my father sending me to buy a bulb: get a 60 bulb, he'd say--or a 75 or a 100. Those were watts and those were the three watt powers we (and I assume most people) used in their homes.

Turns out that shit is for babies now. Nowadays one must know their way around lumens (or candela), Kelvin degrees, start/stop cycles, average time in millisecond to reach 80% luminosity, light bulb technology (LED vs. halogen vs. fluorescent), as well as good old watts which don't mean shit anymore, by the way. Then your have your brand and model, size of bulb and size of socket. There was a wall of light bulbs at the supermarket. There was me and another guy looking at it and he gave up sooner, he grumbled something and he was half smiling as he stooped to pick his choice because he was a bit embarrassed, just like me, and I wish I could make him know that I knew: I knew he felt old, just like me. I marched my eyes on for a while, down and across the shelves, wondering if this is how it feels buying one's daughter her first bra or something equally illustrative of how inadequate one has been all this time.

Click here to subscribe to my blog.
>>
>>9116843
I'm clicking and clicking and it's not doing anything
>>
>>9116843
subscribed
>>
>>9116763
this is what happens to people do not know what they want.
THe more you know what you want, the more you see that ''the free market'' does not give you a product with all the specs you seek, especially at a price you want.
THe way to discriminate in the free market is
-to know what you want
-to know you current situation [about the materials and goods you have currently]
-to study the common specs of all products and what makes a ''good'' product from a bad one, like the type of cotton used, the size of the jean

for light bulbs, you must know how temperature works in Kelvin, you must know how dark you want your room, how dark is currently your room, you must know the different gases used and all that shit

and then their is ''the progress'' which is the renewal of all the products every few years, so you must keep track all that shit too.

the most important point in buying something now is about the support that the company offers and how expensive are the parts. this is where the cost is [+ads], the cost is not in the good itself, the service is not in the service itself. THe service and what you pay is the response of the company when the product turns to shit and you are in a bad situation.
>>
>>9116850
Neither. What browser are you using? I'm using Opera.
>>
>>9116922
I knew what I wanted: I wanted a 60W light bulb for my reading lamp. My room is dark with the lights out and more or less bright with the lights on. Don't know about you but that's the kind of room I live in and intend to keep living in. Now get off my lawn!
>>
https://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz_on_the_paradox_of_choice
his ted talk was gud
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.