[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ling-ling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1279.jpg (41KB, 317x464px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1279.jpg
41KB, 317x464px
Is linguistics worth studying, or did Chom already make the field obsolete?
>>
>>9115506
Worth studying for what?
>>
Chomsky is obsolete. You can't create a universal theory of human language if you only speak English.
>>
>>9115527
For progression of the field.
>>
>>9115506
Yes, it's worth studying if you have an appetite for formal puzzles. It basically has an infinite supply of them, and if you like logic, computational stuff, and fiddling with formal systems generally, it's basically inexhaustible.

Chomsky didn't 'make the field obsolete,' he's probably the most influential figure to its mainstream in decades.
>>
If you like mindlessly analyzing sentences over and over and then drawing syntax trees that probably won't fit on a sheet of A4 for the better part of your academic life then yes, do so.
>>
>>9115506
Didn't the Piraha language prove that Chomsky's theory is wrong?
>>
>>9116552
Chomsky is working at his computer when a student rushes in.
Student: “Professor Chomsky! They’ve discovered an Amazonian tribe that has a language without recursion!”
Chomsky (slowly turning from his computer): “Can they learn Portuguese?”
Student: “Well… yes.”
Chomsky slowly turns back to his computer.
>>
>>9116630
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>9116545
>>9115527
>brainlets who failed high school algebra detected
>>
>>9115726
Came here to day this. But I want to add that some courses in linguistics will help your writing because they will give you another way to think about sentence structure, meaning, diction, etc.(And most of your contemporaries will have no fucking clue what you are talking about.)
>>
File: butthurt.jpg (63KB, 331x402px) Image search: [Google]
butthurt.jpg
63KB, 331x402px
>>9115726
>You can't create a universal theory of human language if you only speak English.

That's like saying you can't create a universal theory of computation unless you can code in every programming language ever invented

You're wrong and stupid
>>
>>9117719
MATCH THE SENTENCE STRUCTURE OF YOUR ANALOGY WITH THAT OF MY ORIGINAL STATEMENT AND SPOT THE DIFFERENCE
>>
>>9117351
How do I get into learning linguistics in a directed way with this end goal? I've got a bunch of other stuff I'm supposed to be learning and want to keep things efficient.
>>
>>9118138
just read one of the standard textbooks homey
>>
>>9115506
1. Yes 2. No
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.