[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on Beowulf, pseuds. Is it worth reading again?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: covers%2Fbeowulf.jpg (80KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
covers%2Fbeowulf.jpg
80KB, 300x300px
Redpill me on Beowulf, pseuds. Is it worth reading again?
>>
>reading again
>again

If you've already read it are you not informed enough to make that decision by yourself?
>>
File: 91VyRVLnaLL.jpg (757KB, 1417x2165px) Image search: [Google]
91VyRVLnaLL.jpg
757KB, 1417x2165px
>>9115213
Yeah to your kids.
>>
>>9115213
Beowulf is cool, if we're talking about the Old English poem that is
however if we're talking about having read one of the modern retellings of the story, then no, it isn't worth reading again
>>
>>9115218
No, i haven't read it since highschool
>>
Beowulf is dope, just get a proper translation. I like Seamus Heaney's the best.

They guard the wolf-coverts,
Lands inaccessible, wind-beaten nesses,
Fearfullest fen-deeps, where a flood from the mountains
’Neath mists of the nesses netherward rattles,
>>
>>9115281
Has there been a translation that keeps Saxon words as much as possible so it's less a translation and more an update? Like an Anglish translation?
>>
Why not? It's pretty darn short
>>
>>9115342
no clue desu, but I'm intuiting that if anyone really has made anything like that, it's probably closer to an Old English wikia public domain type deal, than legitimate academic publishing, not that that would make the translation automatically appear shittier in anyone's eyes
>>
Shove your redpill up my ass
>>
>>9115213
>>9115342
>>9115213
https://www.amazon.com/Beowulf-Broadview-Literary-Texts/dp/1551111896/ref=sr_1_30?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1487342693&sr=1-30&keywords=beowulf+translation

I know Roy. This is the best scholarly edition out there. Beowulf in general is more of a historical oddity - it's only famous because we have it. For all we know it could have been the Pet Cemetary of old english lit.
>>
>>9117645
We don't know what else we lost in the Cotton Library Fire. Somewhere in that blaze could have been something that put even Homer to shame.

I mean, that's the tragedy of lost books. We just don't know.
>>
>>9117662
>tfw you will never go on a time travelling adventure to save precious books and manuscripts from being destroyed
>>
>reading beowulf

Lmao you pleb, real patrician LISTEN beowulf as recited by a skald
>>
>>9117662
And for all the scholarly debate about what it is, Michael Crichton's hypothesis-as-troubled-Hollywood-blockbuster is still the most satisfying explanation.
>>
File: IMGP0100edit.jpg (412KB, 1135x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP0100edit.jpg
412KB, 1135x1200px
Of course it's worth reading again. My Old English class spent a year translating huge chunks of it and reading the original, and I still love decent translations of it.
>>
>>9117668
>ywn dash into the smoldering ruins of the fire and handle priceless unique pages and carefully place them on the lawn to be dried and recataloged later under the supervision of the Houfe of Commonf.

https://books.google.com/books?id=m3pbAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA9&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=2#v=onepage&q&f=false
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.