/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sffg/ - Science Fiction & Fantasy General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 336
Thread images: 52

File: 614690.jpg (709KB, 3065x1909px) Image search: [Google]
614690.jpg
709KB, 3065x1909px
Fantasy
Selected:
>https://i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg
General:
>https://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg
Flowchart:
>https://i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg

Science Fiction
Selected:
>https://i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg
>https://i.imgur.com/IBs9KE8.jpg
General:
>https://i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg
>https://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>https://i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Thread: >>9099898
>>
File: 28261356.jpg (27KB, 297x475px) Image search: [Google]
28261356.jpg
27KB, 297x475px
Has anyone else read Not Alone? I just finished it a couple of days ago and it was very entertaining. Not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, but a really fun read.
Basically boils down to "What if the cooky conspiracy theorists were right?" with a lot of focus on the concept of whistleblowing and the media.
Highly recommend it.
>>
Are any Forgotten Realms books worth reading or is it all shit like Salvatore?
I've been playing some d&d vidya and it would be nice to get into the lore.
>>
>>9109895
They were both "the aliens", Rorschach was the body and the scrambles just mobile cells. Think beyond the idea of "ships" and "pilots".

And Valarie was reanimated by the microbes they picked up on Icarus.

>>9113740
Hyperion and Fallof together are incredible. Give it a week before starting the sequel though. You'll be impressed how well he ends the second book.
>>
File: minimalist harry potter.jpg (107KB, 966x221px) Image search: [Google]
minimalist harry potter.jpg
107KB, 966x221px
Post nice minimalist SFF covers.
>>
Has there ever been attempts to write fiction with our current state of technology as if it was written let's say 50 years in the past? So applying bygone social mores to current-day technology?
>>
File: Skulduggerypleasnt.jpg (126KB, 1524x601px) Image search: [Google]
Skulduggerypleasnt.jpg
126KB, 1524x601px
>>9114658
What is /lit/'s opinion of Skulduggery pleasant?
>>
>>9113479

He did, scripts haven't been working for years now
>>
Any actual oppinions on bakker ? Tried reading but I'm confused... don't know what to think. What do you like/dislike about it ?
>>
>>9114743
Bumping for this
>>
>>9115232
Plenty, there is also sci-fi that takes what those guys did 50 years ago and builds on it.
>>
The more I read Ballard the more I see that, like, PKD, he is preoccupied with the way that the constructs of modern life can shift us into different planes of reality; regressive planes, isolated, and with laws of logic unto themselves. Here, acts of the previous world no longer hold their meaning.

JG is a better prose stylist than PKD, though. His prose is so evenly modulated and contemplative that you hardly flinch when something violent, surrealistic, or perverse comes into view - it's kind of insidious, where PKD is more freewheeling and slapdash.
>>
>>9115671
>Plenty
Like what?

>>9115232
>bygone
>>
>>9115577
>like
-actual grimdark setting, everything is blood and guts and horror, and everyone is ultimately fucked
-few or no attempts at cheesy Reddit humor that plagues the rest of the contemporary fantasy genre
-zero attempts at political correctness; all the fictional nations hate and/or make fun of each other; the world is shit for everyone
-seriously explores a fun idea: "what if space aliens crash landed on a fantasy world?"
-rape-powered orcs
-unravels the typical cliche overpowered kvothe fantasy good-at-everything main character by making him the villain and having him literally cuck the protagonist, steal all of his friends, and turn everyone against him

>dislike
-i get that it's supposed to be a grimdark version of Tolkien's world, but i wish it was more different
-not enough glimpses into the alleys and bars of the world; most of the story is told through important and powerful dudes
-the fact that i will never have a qt inchoroi gf
>>
>>9114550
Oh my, I quite enjoyed this one. The horrible ruined world shrouded in darkness. The creeping monstrosities. The grim and hopeless inhabitants. The pointless struggles. The forgotten arcane technology. All tied together by a haphazard yet heroic journey with a fun twist or two and a happy ending. As a connoisseur of mediocre pulp, I highly recommend!
>>
File: SchildsLadder.jpg (20KB, 220x359px) Image search: [Google]
SchildsLadder.jpg
20KB, 220x359px
Isn't there a glaring plothole here?

The novo-vacuum expands because it is a more stable vacuum than normal vacuum. However, later we learn that the novo-vacuum is actually a superposition of all possible vaccum states. But if each vacuum state has a definite energy, and they aren't degenerate, how does the novo-vacuum super position have a definite energy? A super position of eigenstates is only an eigenstate if they are degenerate.
>>
File: sudolf2.jpg (128KB, 600x388px) Image search: [Google]
sudolf2.jpg
128KB, 600x388px
What is /sffg/ opinion on Sad Puppies and related drama? Who was in the wrong?
>>
>>9116269
Hippies were wrong.
Also probably some other people.
Lot's of discussion in the archives around the time of the awards. Further discussion of this topic will only aggravate the delicate sensibilities in this thread :(
>>
>>9116269
>drama
About five twats decided to boost their sales by being all edgy and drumming up controversy. Tempest in a teapot desu.
>>
>>9116269
Neither side was 100% right or wrong. Hugo folks really were awarding boring social justice dreck, but the Puppies were trying to beat it with poorly edited self-publishing tier stuff, both sides talking their crap up. Nobody cares about Hugos anymore.

Anyway the Puppies are dead, the Sads (Baen) will probably try something but they were always low-energy, the Rabids got the Dragon Awards and they're satisfied with that, Scalzi got like a million bucks for a big deal with Tor and he'll probably go to Mexico when he can't write the books, everybody's happy.

The new drama is Appendix N. Some rando blogger on Castalia started reading everything in D&D's appendix on works it was inspired by, and a bunch of kids raised on Star Wars are trying to start a new movement from it, while the old Hugo people are adjusting their monocles and pontificating on how of course everyone still reads Edgar Rice Burroughs and Robert E Howard, how on EARTH could you not have, we just read Atwood instead for, like, a joke, or something like that. Although there's not a lot of cross-blogging on it and there aren't any heavyweights involved, so don't expect any sparks, just a lot more nerds reading Conan than before.
>>
Have you guys read Worm? Some friends were telling me to check it out.
>>
I'm not going to write this, but I need a retardation and fedora check on this novel idea

Its set in renaissance italy and focuses on an inventor/sculptor who after years of toil manages to create an automata of unparalleled beauty and grace and soon becomes the talk of the region. For it he becomes hunted by the church for committing the sin of playing god. Little does he realize, he actually is one

The MC is the half-human son of Prometheus, who later took the names Hephæstus and Vulcan. Unfortunately, Prometheus isn't the only god to take on new names, and there was a time when once the name of The Almighty was none other that Zeus.
>>
Is there still a huge demand for new fantasy? Can I actually write a good fantasy novel and become as great as Tolkien/Eddison/Brooks/Moorcock/Jordan/Rowling/Martin? The place I'm from consists mostly of illiterates or people who stick to the classics and nothing more. Admittedly, I don't go out and read some unknown author unless there's already some hype about them. How do I get into new fantasy writers before they become super successful? Is there some sort of fantasy publication or something that still publishes short stories?
>>
>>9116508
Robert E. Howard lived with his parents in West Texas his entire life and started the fantasy genre by himself.

There are fantasy publications doing short stories right on the other side of a search engine, but the real stuff will be self-published on Amazon, the diamonds in the ocean of crap. I'm hearing a lot of buzz about Schuyler Hernstrom but I don't really like what I've read of him.
>>
>>9116478
>For it he becomes hunted by the church for committing the sin of playing god.
Tell me, is "playing god" venal or cardinal?

Zeus being the Christian God is a pretty neat idea, it's been done before but not enough, and syncretizing the Greek pantheon with Renaissance religion is so good of an idea I want you to start writing right now. Just make sure you don't make every religious person a Galileo-burning straw priest, actually read some books on what made Renaissance folks tick and how they thought.
>>
File: cc.png (463KB, 462x648px) Image search: [Google]
cc.png
463KB, 462x648px
I'm looking for a urban fantasy book without a "secret magic government" or "secret magic organization" - like in Dresden Files or the Secret Histories books.

And since a legitimate retard managed to fumble his way onto /lit/, I'd like to add that the mechanisms of using magic within the story are irrelevant. Don't even reply, you dumb cunt.
>>
>>9116680

The Magicians trilogy by Lev
>>
>>9116697
thank you, anon
>>
>>9116680

How can you have magic without magical laws
>>
>>9116697
that has a magic school, though. which implies a magic government
>>
>>9116707

No it doesn't, it doesn't rule anything, and you can get magic without going to that school
>>
>>9116705
good point brandon
>>
>>9116710
okay, but I don't want any kind of institution, then. What I mean is, is that I enjoy... people fucking up? I like reading about people discovering things on their own. If there's a class on it, or it's all regulated then I just lose interest. Yeah, that's it.
>>
>>9116718

>magic must only be mysterious and incomprehensible
>anything that is not a mystery is not magic
>even if the person who we are following is the magic user, thus we would understand magic how he understands it
>>
>>9114842
Those are pretty terrible, like most of the "minimalist" covers I see.
>>
Just finished reading the Tower of Babylon by Ted Chiang (part of Stories of Your Life and Others -- in the /sffg/ recommended Science Fiction). Though it is not Sci-fi at all, it's hardly fantasy either, but I have to say it's one of the best novellas I have ever read.

Did any of you fags read it?
>>
>>9117480
I have had a hard time understanding the structure of the world after the plot twist revelation. Can someone explain it to me?
>>
>>9117480
Yea, I did read it and found it interesting.
>>9117488
The world seems to be a cylinder without a top or a bottom, when you would climb a ladder in only one direction, you would reach your point of departure eventually. The sky is actually topped by stone, that is the bottom of the same ground people live on. Pretty easy stuff, a derivative of the flat-earth model.
>>
>>9116508
>become as great as Tolkien/Eddison/Brooks/Moorcock/Jordan/Rowling/Martin?
>how can I become a multi-millionaire and get tv shows, movies and merchandise deals all from books
>help me guys I want to be rich but I don't know to write
>>
>>9116680
>thought I burned this guy a few threads ago
>he is back for seconds
>calls me retard

I told you already, it's not urban fantasy unless the magic is hidden. Try Kim Harrison's "the hollow" series they are pretty out in the open after the near genocide of the human race

If you are the womameme anon you are out of luck and will have to read traditional fantasy. Only women do urban fantasy that is integrated with the public. Men always have it hidden where only a select few know (iron druid, dresden files, felix castor, joe pit casebooks, the magician trilogy, night watch, etc), men usually integrate fully with fantasy worlds.
>>
>>9117568
>thinks he burned me
>implying I didn't just leave cuz I got sick of his shit

also see:
>>9116729

But anyway, thanks for the recommendations. I do appreciate it, even if you're a cockslap.
>>
>>9117586
It was one recommendation: the Hallows.

That list I gave you was examples of what you don't want aka hidden consulate. If you want fantasy where everyone knows, and isn't urban fantasy ask.

>>9116729
>I like reading about people discovering things on their own.
Then it's not gonna be urban fantasy. Or it would be urban fantasy , but there is a council and hidden world and they want the protagonist dead because he is a rogue(even if he didn't know others like him existed).
>>
>>9114743
I like the Realms of: series, they're like an anthology of short stories based around a certain topic such as Realms of Mystery (the best one), Realms of Magic, etc. They tend to be a pretty mixed bag in terms of quality but that's D&D for you. Worth reading if you're into it.
>>
Is The Swords Trilogy a good place to start with Moorcock?
>>
File: Avoid All Of These Authors.png (2MB, 948x1244px) Image search: [Google]
Avoid All Of These Authors.png
2MB, 948x1244px
>>9117932
>>
>It's been 2 years
>I still haven't finished it because the knowledge that it's the last one is too much
>>
>>9115577
It has cool magic. Like actual cool fucking magic that is actually magic, like REAL FUCKING MAGIC, not some magnetism shit or whatever other shit. It's actual magic and it goes into the metaphysics and the philosophy of it, and this magic is particularly powerful. Like a mage alone can really mess things up, but at the same time they are incredibly vulnerable to those balls and can't do anything against it.
I really don't like how every character is important or becomes important or is tied to someone important, and I also don't like all the gay stuff in it. BEFORE you say anything, I enjoy a grimdark realistic setting but the people in Bakker's universe seem unreasonably gay and addicted to rape and anal. Maybe because she fashioned it by the ancient grece / sumer or something like that, fuck knows.

Also, after a while the plot and point of it all seems blurred. I think it suffers from the thing that every LONG AS FUCK fantasy series suffers, that every detail and little nonsese is explored and in the end you just wonder, what's the fucking point of it?
Idk man, I took a LONG ass break halfway through Thousandfold Thought because the first half of it was so god damn fucking boring. I don't remember anything important happening.
>>
>>9116301
So if I understand you, Appendix N seeks to emphasis and promote unabashed genre fiction and a certain very narrow sub-sect of sword and sorcery?

Well, that's not a sin, but I think people will always read the Conan stories because they intuitively know, after the Schwarzenegger movie, to go to Howard/Jordan for straight-forward muscles, fights, and escapism.

But if they want to resurrect minor, forgotten, and out of print works, I suppose that is interesting to enthusiasts, who must pine for the days of lurid looking paperbacks on wire racks - which will never return, even mass-market is being crushed by e-books.)

But I can never read that kind of stuff for very long before I have to reach for something else.
>>
>>9118146
>I suppose that is interesting to enthusiasts, who must pine for the days of lurid looking paperbacks on wire racks - which will never return
I did not ask for this feel.
>>
The Demon Cycle series is a bit shit
>>
>>9118284
Every book is worse than the last

A shame, since the first book was promising
>>
>>9118295
The first part of the first book was good, it got immediately shit when it just jumped to Arlen discovering how to kill demons just like that. 300 years and no one thought to have a look? The second book was a chore and I'm debating whether to get the 3rd now.
>>
File: 1439845192363.jpg (84KB, 803x790px) Image search: [Google]
1439845192363.jpg
84KB, 803x790px
What is objectively the best Fantasy book?
>>
>>9118374
Muh religion suppressing knowledge
>>
>>9118380
The Silmarillion.
>>
>>9118146
>So if I understand you, Appendix N seeks to emphasis and promote unabashed genre fiction and a certain very narrow sub-sect of sword and sorcery?
Unabashed genre, yes, but that stuff is far, far more than a narrow subset of S&S. That's the point of it, that there's this huge variety in genre, romance and detective stories and swordplay and spaceships all mixed together, or rather just not separated yet. Characters are heroic and often flawed, with far more complexity than the stereotype. Imagine watching the Star Wars prequels and TFA and thinking the original trilogy is wooden, stilted, and forced, then watching that and realizing how charismatic everyone is and how smooth the plots flow.

>straight-forward muscles, fights, and escapism.
That's not all Conan is, though. Conan wins many of his battles through wits, more of them through luck, and Howard's prose is simply beautiful.

>lurid looking paperbacks on wire racks - which will never return, even mass-market is being crushed by e-books.)
The goal is to put lurid looking ebooks on Amazon, to bring back select parts of the pulp environment without quixotically trying to resurrect it. A whole bunch of nerds self-publishing random pulp-inspired stuff, hopefully with a few diamonds rising out of it, but everyone having a lot of fun.
>>
File: 1439845331147.jpg (117KB, 803x727px) Image search: [Google]
1439845331147.jpg
117KB, 803x727px
>>9118400
Yay.
Thank you.
>>
>>9118401
That sounds a lot better than all the autistic screeching over the Hugos, desu - creating something rather than trying to tear something down. But is anyone actually onboard apart from that blogger and his readers?
>>
>>9118428
That guy who prints Cirsova, as that was his intention from the beginning, is big on it, as is Daddy Warpig, who I guess is some kind of GamerGate figure with a lot of followers. For some reason Vox Day isn't involved despite most of it going on on his publishing house's blog. John C. Wright's sort of a godfather to it but he's more of a John the Baptist, telling everyone to read Null-A and Night Land again, and he isn't mentioned much.

Oh, and Brian Niemeier, who's probably got the prettiest book covers in selfpub right now. A lot of people like Nethereal, I could never get into it. He blusters a lot which I'm not a fan of.

There's already been a couple of fanfic-tier novellas published already, which I'm not looking forward to reviewing because I'm bad at constructive criticism and I really want everyone to keep trying.
>>
>>9118397
Muh dominating women
>>
>>9116478
I like the idea. There is definitely a lot of potential there but also a lot of room to fail. I could see this being a bit like an almost Renaissance American Gods depending on how it's written. But at the same time I feel like it would be really easy to just write Percy Jackson again, if even on accident.
>>
File: Children-of-Earth-and-Sky-4th.jpg (257KB, 919x1388px) Image search: [Google]
Children-of-Earth-and-Sky-4th.jpg
257KB, 919x1388px
Is Children of Earth and Sky good? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25938417-children-of-earth-and-sky
>>
>>9118515
Read Lions of Al Rassan instead.
>>
>>9118518
Byzantine Mosaic was his best
>tfw qt villainess died
>>
>>9118284

It's shit but I like it
>>
>the most beautiful woman in the world
hate this trope
>>
>>9118083
Admittedly, this is the only reason I haven't read it yet. Because it means that once I have, its over.
>>
>>9118284
the female characters ruined it
>>
>Kiva Lagos was busily fucking the brains out of the assistant purser she’d been after for the last six weeks of the Yes, Sir, That’s My Baby’s trip from Lankaran to End when Second Officer Waylov Brennir entered her stateroom, unannounced. “You’re needed,” he said.
>“I’m a little busy at the moment,” Kiva said. She’d just finally gotten herself into a groove, so fuck Waylov (not literally, he was awful) if she was going to get out of the groove just because he walked into it. Grooves were hard to come by. People have sex, and he was unannounced. If this was what he walked into, it was his fault, not hers. The assistant purser seemed a little concerned, but Kiva applied a little pressure to make it clear festivities were to continue.
>“It’s important.”
>“Trust me, so is this.”
>“We’ve got a customs official who won’t let us take any haverfruit off the ship,” Brennir said. If he was shocked or scandalized by Lagos’s activities he was doing a good job of hiding it. He mostly looked bored. “Offloading our haverfruit is why we came to End. If we don’t sell it, or develop licenses, we’re screwed. You’re the owner’s representative. You’re going to have to explain to your mother why this trip was the cause of the financial ruin of your family. So perhaps you might like to join Captain Blinnikka in talking with this customs official right now to see if you can resolve this problem. Or you can just go on fucking that junior crew member, ma’am. I’m sure those are equivalent activities as regards your future, and the future of this ship, and your family.”

Are you ready?
>>
>>9118401
Well, it makes for a series of interesting blog posts on Castalia which I wasn't aware of.

Despite my apparent coolness towards Howard, I do enjoy what I have read of him. This includes 2 Conan tales (The Tower Of The Elephant, The God In The Bowl) and more of his weird fiction, the most memorable of which was The Black Stone. He's a good visual writer, adept at setting a scene, and he writes vivid action sequences. I consider him a red-blooded genre writer but to call his prose beautiful is over-egging it.

Still, the man only died at 30 in 1936. It's interesting to speculate on what he might have produced in a life twenty years longer or more, writing into the fifties and sixties.
>>
What's going on with Vox Day's latest book, why's he only released half of it? Should I just wait for the rest or what?
>>
>>9118622
>try to remember where I've read it recently
Shadow of the Torturer and Name of the Wind
>>
>>9119086
>Name of the Wind
One of my mates told me this was the greatest, couldn't read past a quarter of it, absolutely awful.
>>
>>9118284
I’m glad I’m not the only one who feels like this about the demon cycle. The first and second third of the book was building the demons and the world steadily. The last third just threw suspense and tension out the window. How can you write both of your main characters out of themselves in the same book unintentionally?
Read the second book and I was done.
>>
File: 1487231949358.png (330KB, 482x610px) Image search: [Google]
1487231949358.png
330KB, 482x610px
>tfw reading Smoke Ring and Ringworld, both by Larry Niven
I love the settings so much. Does anyone know good stories set on or involving megastructures?
>>
>>9118702
You might as well, I have one more hour of work.
>>
Sanderson a shit
>>
>>9119123
I've just finished the second book, working up the courage to get the 3rd, it's a shame because I really loved the first 2 thirds of the first book. But then Corlings go from unkillable monsters to slayed in their hundreds in a single chapter.
>>
>>9119153
Anyone not in GMT is subhuman
>>
>>9119134
Definitive megastructure is Blame. Stephen Baxter's Raft is sort of like Integral Trees setting but he's not that good of a writer. John C. Wright's Count to the Eschaton has megastructures but doesn't really love them, they're background settings, same with Brin's second Uplift trilogy. Pushing Ice has them but makes them boring.

Oh, the Culture novels are all about megastructures. I don't personally like Iain M. Banks but maybe you will. Start with Player of Games I'm told, I started with Consider Phlebas and got turned off entirely.

Actually, one more thing you most likely won't hear recommended, when Terry Pratchett was just getting started he wrote a couple of novels parodying Niven, Strata and Dark Side of the Sun. Strata's one of my favorites, haven't read the other.
>>
>>9119153
https://www.amazon.com/Collapsing-Empire-John-Scalzi-ebook/dp/B01F20E7CO/
$3,400,000 book deal doesn't mean you can read the rest for free, son.
>>
>>9119176
I ain't even argue whats true, m8.
>>9119184
I might check it then. I thought anon was storytiming.

>>9119173
Agreed, plus what other anon said before. Woman are writtten to hinder the story. I mean, it sounds pretentious as fuck but... come on, book 2 proves it. The best character was the grandma, can't remember her name. Also young Arlen and before damage control Leesha.
>>
>>9119134
My upcoming book.
Also the deathgate cycle
>>9119177
Pratchett also did a megastructure concept in his main work you know...
>>
>>9118284
Character dynamics are so good though
>>
>>9118083
I suggest you read it and then finish with a stronger one, there's no way you've read everything by Pratchett in his golden days. Did you read the Last Hero? I finished with that one, it was perfect.
>>
File: 1465388087933.gif (232KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
1465388087933.gif
232KB, 220x220px
>>9119313
>Deathgate
I hope you are aware that you are my nigga.

Also I wouldn't count Discworld as a megastructure. It's just a planet, that happens to be flat.
>>
>>9119274
>The best character was the grandma
Leesha's mentor or the Duchess?
>>
>>9119327
I've got every single main Discworld book, the Tiffany series, Good Omens, A Blink Of The Screen, and Turtle Recall in paperback, thinking of shelling out a few hundred for the Collector's Library hardback editions.
>>
>>9119360
I don't remember the duchess. I'll have to assume those come after book 2.
>>
>>9119437
No the Duchess was in book 2 (I haven't read past that yet), she had a chat with Leesha where it's revealed she hates her sons and basically rules the land behind the scenes. Leesha's mentor dies in the first book I think.
>>
>>9119480
>she had a chat with Leesha where it's revealed she hates her sons and basically rules the land behind the scenes
Ah, I remember. I meant the old lady from her hometown, yes.
I won't encourage you to stop reading, so i'll hold on spoilers. When I started to like Leesha in book 1, I came in here and some anon spoiled me what happens at the end with her in book 2. That might made me stop liking the saga altogheter, but is widely regarded as book 1 start strong and then going downhill.
>>
>>9119539
>I won't encourage you to stop reading
I'm debating with myself whether I should continue, as I said I liked the start of the first book, but ever since it's been disapointing, I've found Leesha very annoying alond with almost every female character in the series. But at two books in I also feel like I'm too far in to just drop it.
>>
More like this? I'd read more of Tiptree when I'll be able to find other works of her to download, but at any rate I'd like to read more sci fi fiction thats deals with materialism and pop culture in slightly dark and amusing way.
>>
>>9117480
it was pretty good. That and stories of your life was good. all his others are kind of dumb or just bad.
>>
>>9114744
Valerie was not reanimated you R2Dtard. She went into vampire sleep mode, which all vampires have.
>>
File: FalseSun.jpg (234KB, 1440x792px) Image search: [Google]
FalseSun.jpg
234KB, 1440x792px
Who's your sffg waifu/husbando?
Pic related, it's mine.

He did nothing wrong.
>>
>>9120010
My waifu is without a doubt Styliane Daleina from Sarantine Mosaic.
>>
>>9119884
>muh sapir-whorf hypothesis
>>
>>9118033
Scalzi is a numale faggot and Martin is a fat fuck dickhead, but don't pull that holier-than-thou bullshit and throw Tolkien in there because the movies were popular you fucking cunt.
>>
File: DP Funny.jpg (43KB, 477x604px) Image search: [Google]
DP Funny.jpg
43KB, 477x604px
So any sanderson love here .... Stormlight Chronicles/ Mistborn trilogy warbreaker elantris
>>
>>9120341
Sanderson is /sffg/'s favourite author
>>
>>9120341
>demotivational
>ellipses
Stop that. Yes there is but not right now.
>>
>>9120345
soo can any one point to some of is other works and where to find said works??
>>
>>9120351
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=brandon+sanderson
>>
>>9120351
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Sanderson_bibliography
>>
>>9120320
The books were shit. It has nothing to do with the movies.
>>
File: Sanderson Spurdo.jpg (66KB, 853x543px) Image search: [Google]
Sanderson Spurdo.jpg
66KB, 853x543px
>>9120351
>>9120341
>>
>>9120554
I wish Michael Moorcock would leave us alone.
>>
>>9120351
>where to find

Jesus Christ have you not heard of a fucking library
>>
>>9120936

I've heard there's a lot of virgins there and I really don't want to get creeped up by some creeps watching me
>>
>>9121014
Life's gonna be hard for you then.
>>
>>9121014
I wouldn't worry about Kevin. He doesn't go to libraries either.
>>
>>9121014
Did... did you think this was a funny post? Jesus Christ. Go outside more often.
>>
>>9121043
JESUS CHRIST
>>
>>9121043

I don't feel like sexual harassment is funny, I just don't feel that.
>>
>>9119339
>It's just a planet, that happens to be flat.
You mean like all planets?
>>
>>9121014
>btw I'm a gril
>>
>>9121039
What you doing Vince? Leafed anyone lately?
>>
>>9121132
The flat Earth is not a planet. Planets are wanderers, the flat Earth is stationary. Planets in a flat-Earth system can be round, but are often merely ornaments on spherical shells.

The Discworld is an oddly-shaped astronomical body and may not be a planet, but neither is it a structure.
>>
>>9121138
Oh, that's what he meant?
>>
>>9121140
I try, but there aren't a lot of trees around here. How about yourself? Read anything good?
>>
>>9120341
I started reading way of kings. I'm at 400 page now. Should I remember the little text at the beggining of each chapter? are they even important? It feels like too many names thrown in those micro passages to even care about them.
>>
>>9121173
Lucifer's Hammer. It's not really gri, but it was entertaining. Makes me want to cuck some banker while he is at work.
>>
Is cosmerefag dead? I haven't seen him in months.
>>
File: Heroes_and_Villains.jpg (210KB, 283x475px) Image search: [Google]
Heroes_and_Villains.jpg
210KB, 283x475px
>>9121188
Sounds fun, it's on my interested list. I'm afraid my book selection method is about to burn me again as this one came up next.
>>
>>9114743
Read any of the Dark elf saga. Its a fucking amazing read and with great plot, character development, and an immense world. I feel like im in the forgotten realms while reading.
>>
>>9118515

Guy Gavriel Kay is a hack.

It's been decades and I'm still mad about the absolute shit-fest that was the Fionavir Tapestry. I'll never forgive him for that shit series.
>>
I remeber asking here once for horror sci fi recs and one anon recommended a book about someone who fights a pig headed man in the apocalypse, or something along those lines. I forgot the name. Anyone has an idea what book could it be?
>>
>>9121169

>Flat earth

What happens when you dig down and come out on the other side?
>>
>think up some story
>inevitable because erotica the moment I get horned
How do I stop this?
>>
>>9121228
I read Heroes and Villains a few weeks ago. It's a little silly, but I think Angela is deliberately plumbing the depths to be as lurid and sensational as she can, to depict a savage-like people while maintaining a literary gothic mode. Some of the descriptive writing is is particularly vivid and memorable.

Even if you don't like it much, it's a short book, and reading Carter may allow you to impress one of the more literary women out there if you value that sort of thing.

>>9121369
This sounds like William Hope Hodgson's novella length book The House On The Borderland, a key text in cosmic horror. The protag battles an army of pig-like men at his castle after it is transported to a hell dimension. The second half witnesses the end of the world in time lapse.
>>
>>9121476
Digging down through the Earth brings you to the top of the sky of the last Earth, which may still contain humans (in the form of, say, grasshoppers or rabbits) but which is deficient in some way (not growing corn, only being red and black), which is why our ancestors climbed a magic corn stalk to leave it.
>>
>>9121618
Write erotica separately, then go back to the normal story when you've got it out of your system.
>>
>>9114677
Im pretty sure no one here reads.
>>
>>9121183
When you puzzle them together, they make up some backstory and world-building that are somewhat relevant.
It'll make more sense later, and you wont really miss out on anything if you read them after you're done with the book.
>>
File: Sword_of_Destiny_UK.jpg (25KB, 220x338px) Image search: [Google]
Sword_of_Destiny_UK.jpg
25KB, 220x338px
If I could go back in time I would give me this.

Also, just set aside the Lord of the Rings; it's not bad, but it was not what I was looking for.
>>
File: Modern Fantasy Recs V2.jpg (2MB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Modern Fantasy Recs V2.jpg
2MB, 2000x3000px
>>9122145
Is it sword and adventure books you like? Or is it deep lore worlds based off of ancient myths and fairytales?
Witcher is based off the Grimm Fairytales, Lotr is based off of ?? Christianity, and religious fairytales??

Main point is that Lotr is shit and hasn't aged well. I loved the hobbit and would recommend it to anyone but fuck lotr.
>>
>>9121618
In my view you should embrace the sex writing if it's in your nature. It pops up a lot in New Age science fiction, where it is part of the colour of the book. Robert Silverberg is compelled to put a sex scene in every book.

Sex is a part of being human, and a universal experience - it can give your story an earthy tone and something the reader can relate to. People fucked in their wattle and daub huts in the dark ages, just as they will in the crystal high rises of the next millennia. Sex writing can add verisimilitude to your imagined setting, and the red-blooded appeal which, I believe, lies behind the current nascent veneration of Golden Age/Pulp writing - we like to read something that admits the force of sex and attraction.
>>
I want to write a book/series that destroys the fantasy genre once and for all, how do I accomplish this.
>>
>>9122324
The real problem lies with my fetish which isn't as universal.

Ridiculously strong female MC who is to put it mildly rather perverse.

I guess that isn't even that much of a problem, it just dominates my mind.
>>
Anyone else think the appendices in Lord of the Rings are kind of boring? I love the main narrative, but I just can't seem to get into the lore setup. Does this mean I wouldn't care for the Silmarillion?
>>
File: 1462996694451.gif (494KB, 387x305px) Image search: [Google]
1462996694451.gif
494KB, 387x305px
>>9122385
Becoming a wizard is the first step.
>>
>>9122391
The taboo attraction to strong assertive women can be traced back to the Greeks and their fascination/fear of the Amazons
>>
>>9114743

Give a try to Moonshae trilogy, the Arpist serie or Avatars serie.
>>
>>9122441
It mostly just starts with the female in question becoming extremely lewd in a very short amount of time.
Then it becomes numerous men, inevitably the double bj part starts and the story in my mind is completely destroyed and the only thing left is sex.

Almost like the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter serie.
>>
>>9122575
write under a female pen name, you'll make bank
>>
>>9122294
>Main point is that Lotr is shit and hasn't aged well. I loved the hobbit and would recommend it to anyone but fuck lotr.
Terrible opinion desu. What does "hasn't aged well" even mean in that context? It's meant to be mythic, like the Wagnerian Ring Cycle it takes motifs from or the Mabinogion - have those "aged well"?
>>
>>9122793
Nah, dumbass writers didn't even take into account how stupid their archaic shit would sound like in 1000 years.
>>
Any books where a lesbian has to take dick? Like she has to willing give into the dick, no forcing or rape.
>>
File: bombadil.jpg (19KB, 206x244px) Image search: [Google]
bombadil.jpg
19KB, 206x244px
>>9122793
MY personal grief with Tolkien is that he felt like using 11 pages to describe folliage but reduced whole battles to a paragraph or two. I mean, c'mon. Homer described the gruesome in detail, 16yo me wanted some blood smearing the pages. Not Tom Bombadil songs.
>>
>>9122828
The last book in the First Law trilogy.
>>
>>9122818
So for you it's mainly about how old or new something sounds? In which case

>Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends. I have not much hope that Gollum can be cured before he dies, but there is a chance of it. And he is bound up with the fate of the Ring. My heart tells me that he has some part to play yet, for good or ill, before the end; and when that comes, the pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many - yours not least.

is bad just because it has old phrasing like "for good or ill", and the actual theme it's talking about doesn't matter?
>>
>>9122849
I wasn't even the guy you were arguing with, I was just lamenting the fact that writers of past epics were so fucking stupid they couldn't even precisely predict how the world would be like a millenium from their time down to fine minutiae.
>>
>>9122859
This. Anyone who doesn't understand how accessible Fin'negan's Wa'ke will be in the year 2610 should autoeuthanize and spare society the paperwork.
>>
>>9123024
I concur.
>>
Do fantasy novels with romance tend to have more or less likeable female characters?
>>
>>9123110
Depends who the author inserts as. If it's the dude, no, because she'll be one guy's ideal woman. If it's the lady, no, because she'll be a bland non-entity for all the boys to swoon over. If the author keeps their distance, you're fine.
>>
>>9115577

I've only read the first one, but I finished it, if that's proof of decency.
>protags all get their ass kicked in at least once
>has nordic barbarian fighting tribe, which is awesome
>has a guy who sees through protag's bullshit
>Logos is a cool concept

Bad:
>old prostitute whining for ten thousand pages and craving black seed like a sloot
>lots of boring shit, like time spent on characters who aren't important or interesting
>you will want to punch Kellhus in the face
>grimdark 2edgy4u
>typical fantasy infodumps, keyboard smash names, and sentences with ten proper nouns
>achamian needs to grow some nuts and his nickname is queertarded, doesn't do anything cool despite being some overpowered sorcerer
>>
File: 1487353595317.png (423KB, 749x654px) Image search: [Google]
1487353595317.png
423KB, 749x654px
>>9123188
Sounds good.
>>
>>9115248
Liked it as a kid, but looking back it was a horrid mishmash of ideas, too confusing to ever make anything really noteworthy. Would probably work as an introduction to some tropes, though.
>>
Any (good) sff with believable and likeable romance in them? I particularly liked Thecla in BotNS
>>
>>9123248
What book is this from?
>>
>>9123377
The Hobbit.
>>
>>9123148
Thanks, I just like (emotionally) really strong woman in novels.

But with female authors I've already noticed that the romance tends to make them weaker.
>>
I read Star's Reach recently, and while it has some problems, probably partially due to originally being published as a periodical, it's a pretty fun read and paints an interesting picture of a post apocalyptic future. I'd say it's a bit too pessimistic about many things, and the author seems to be a bit of a druid-larper, but whatever. There are few books in this genre and this is actually worth reading.

>>9119177
>but he's not that good of a writer
Baxter is actually really terrible. I used to read him when I was young, but I can't stomach his shit anymore.
>>
>>9122392
Yeah, probably. The Silmarillion is mostly lore dumps in the form of concise and detached accounts of pat happenings. There are a few exceptions: Beren and Luthien, Turin, the latter having been released as a stand alone book, but they don't make much sense unless you read all of the Silmarillion. I also feel like the Lord of the Rings is better written, so if you enjoyed Tolkien's prose in LotR, you're in for a disappointment from that angle as well.
>>
is there a way to make a story all about how awsome science is awesome in a setting where magic and gods exist without giving them a bullshit explanation?
>>
>>9123783
yes
>>
>>9123783
no
>>
>>9123783
maybe
>>
>>9123792
>>9123794
>>9123798
What if I leave it genuinely ambiguous whether the gods are gods or sufficiently advanced and eldritch aliens, and all the magic is built into ambiguously technological devices that can pass on their abilities by modifying users
>>
>>9123907
I don't know
>>
>>9123907
>>9123783
I genuinely don't see the conflict. Awesome science is only awesome if there are things you don't understand (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_unsolved_problems, if this list is growing smaller your civilization isn't pushing itself).

For goodness sakes a priest developed the Big Bang theory and a monk developed heredity theory. They lived in a setting where magic and gods existed. You can have someone theorize that they're just aliens, you can have someone else theorize that they're actually supernatural, nothing to do with whether or not science is going on.

Look at Dungeon Meshi. They're doing real science figuring out how the dungeon ecology works, in an obviously magical setting, without worrying about metaphysics in the slightest.
>>
Well, having read a third Robert Howard Conan story, I now wish I had found him sooner. On the strength of The Elephant Tower, The God In The Bowl, and The Rogues In The House, he is clearly a good action writer. These stories don't feel as dusty as you would expect from their age. They are quickly immersive tales full of unanticipated twists, bloody spectacles and humor; Lovecraft's admiration is now understood.

I'd like to vary my reading with some different short story writers of fantasy. Outside of Fritz Leiber (who I am unconvinced about, Amazon's preview pages of the Lankhmar don't convince me) are there any especially good volumes of stories 10-35 pages long that I can read in a sitting?
>>
>>9124070
I've heard some very good things about Saberhagen. Orson Scott Card has some interesting ideas, but he's less heroic fantasy and more just Gaiman-style weird stuff.
>>
>>9121635
I get nervous whenever a female author writes about noble savages.
>deliberately plumbing the depths to be as lurid and sensational as she can
This didn't make me feel any better about it.
>reading Carter may allow you to impress one of the more literary women out there
Ah, didn't realize she was well known.
>>
I need a retardation check on something. Is this stupid or hilarious

>hero finds out that the only side effect of his supernatural heritage is that he can sweat hot sauce from his left hand
>it takes him a while to realize the sweat is actually the philosopher's stone and it's been transmuting sugar to capcaicin the entire time but he didn't realize it because he never realized he could do anything else with it
>>
>>9122848
Already read years ago. I need more.
>>
>>9122843
indulgence in visual description > indulgence in event description
>>
File: 1486771729502.jpg (240KB, 1171x531px) Image search: [Google]
1486771729502.jpg
240KB, 1171x531px
>>9123907
>>9123783
>>
I have never read a character as retarded as Bombadil or a character who caused a drop in quality to the extent that he did.
>>
>>9124309
Hi flavours anon. How's the rat's son coming along?
>>
>>9114743
Not sure if it's set in the same universe but the Death Gate cycle is one of the most satisfying fantasy series I've ever read.
>>
>>9124557
Care to elaborate? I haven't heard of it before.
>>
>>9124563
Well they're written by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman who created and wrote some of the Dragonlance novels. The first 4 books are all set in different worlds that are connected by magic gates. Books 5-7 take place in all the worlds plus another one and it all combines rather nicely. Gets pretty batshit crazy (in a good way) towards the end of the series.
>>
>>9118033
Is this some kind of troll, mixing genuinely good authors in with the likes of Scalzi?
>>
Fuck, how did it take me so long to discover Jack Vance? After pic related and The Demon Princes, I think he's one of my new favorite authors.
>>
File: 22055262.jpg (45KB, 315x475px) Image search: [Google]
22055262.jpg
45KB, 315x475px
Has anyone read anything by V.E. Schwab? Just picked up pic related.
>>
>>9124293
One of her short story collections is in the school curriculum in the UK. In my experience, most women who study literature over here have read Carter.

I read Heroes And Villains as a fan of 60s/70s New Age era, post-apoc stories, and British SF. I think there is an interesting comparison to be made with JG Ballard because here she is also writing about people regressing to barbarism from a veneer of civility, and reveling in it.
>>
>>9124580
>it all combines rather nicely.
Ehh, I wasn't feeling it nearly as much after the first four books finished and the plot with the serpents came up, gotta bring in some cosmic evil because it's not like anyone can buy the Sartan as villains, right?

Also things like Haplo comments in the first book that he killed dragons all the time back in the Labyrinth, but when we get there they're super OP and all the Patryn are scared, or how the Labyrinth is talked up as this Stone Age chain of runners and squatters in a hell dimension but when we get there they're in a city run by a fat half-Sartan. Haplo stops being edgy, the magic system was overexplained and clunky when we finally had a Sartan/Patryn duel, Hugh tagged along the entire time but never really got to shine.

The atmosphere in those four books, though, that was worthwhile. All the elemental worlds having their own apocalypses being handled in different ways, all those variations on D&D races; I'm especially partial to competing, heavily differentiated conspiracy factions and deathworlds. I'd love to see the Sartan and Patryn fighting each other some more somewhere else.

>mfw the dwarves on Pyrra
>mfw everybody gets shingeki no kyojin'd
>mfw Aberrach is Dark Souls bleak
>>
>>9124627
Ah, nice. This is why I pick stuff at random. I wouldn't necessarily have sought it out otherwise.
On the wrong continent for literary British gals though.
>>
>>9124350
I still have to finish The Mobster's Daughter first and I've made no progress in the last month or two. I've been busy with a new job and overwhelmed by how much I need to write and edit. It doesn't help that I was getting bad reviews from the one person I expected to praise it

>>9124598
I picked that up for the first paragraph and regretted it pretty quickly. It's edgy as hell and neither the plot nor the characters are particularly interesting or likable

>>9124337
Meesa cares ta' dissagreesa
>>
File: 1467976998119.png (115KB, 327x333px) Image search: [Google]
1467976998119.png
115KB, 327x333px
>>9124824
>Meesa cares ta' dissagreesa
Thankfully JarJar isn't a book character.
>>
>>9124598
I liked it, fairly fun read and well paced. Panders to the tumblr crowd a bit. I'm not sure I'd say it's a good book but it's not bad either.
>>
>forced myself to write today
>less than 250 words of not-garbage
i-its something...
>>
>>9114658
>General:
>>https://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg
why isn't Wizard of Earthsea in the coming of age category?
>>
>>9121274
Fionavir was always going to be even more shit than usual considering it's isekai with medical students and law students.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>9114658
You fucking faggots tricked me into buying this shit book
>>
>>9125449
>2.15MB
>sideways
>thinks anyone else is faggotier
>>
>>9125459
>i should resize a pic i snapped with my phone to pacify some faggots who cant even recommend a decent book
Ok
>>
>>9125484
looks like you'll get a lot of serious recs now bub
>>
>>9120010
Karsa Orlong or Toc The Younger
>>
>>9125449
The Red Queen's War>The Broken Empire
>>
>>9124593
If you haven't already, be sure to read Lyonesse.
>>
>>9124318
I don't know what to tell you then.
SF and F novels should have a database that would have tags for all the sexual fetishes they contain, just like there is for Japanese visual novels.
For example: https://vndb.org/g1565
>>
>>9124593

The Tschai and Cadwal series are great as well.

>jackvance.com
>>
>>9124593

Oh, and what do you like about his work?
>>
>>9124627
Well, I didn't find the story itself very interesting. You weren't wrong about the writing though. The descriptive imagery was quite enjoyable. Almost got the shivers when she stepped on a toad ascending that slimy staircase.
>>
>>9125687
>>9125683
The paragraphs tripfag kun is back.
Where is your buddy donkey? That other tripfag who you used to jack off.

Also where is the avatar fag cosmerefag?
>>
>>9125788
Oh look, it's you.
>>
>>9125788
Thing is, /lit/ doesn't give a shit about trips ordinarily. Which lends support to the argument that /lit/ is the most intellectual board.
>>
>>9125833
They usually told donkey boy to kill himself when he posts in outer lit. We did it too, just that we didn't care enough.
>>
>>9125882
Still not as noticed as much as on other boards however.

Although arguably the proportion of people who care is being reduced due to newfag dilution.
>>
>>9125894
*not as much
>>
>>9124598
The book is OK and has interesting ideas but it gets simplistic too often, like when describing good and evil. The main young female character is unrelatable and extremely edgy, shrugging off murdering people and implicit rape too easily in my opinion. It isn't supposed to be a YA book according to the author, but based on it's complexity if feels like one, just with some added murder.
>>
>>9126149
That applies to Abercrombie's works as well (First Law etc).
>>
>>9126181
Yes, also Tolkien.
>>
File: Blowout_soon.jpg (32KB, 814x294px) Image search: [Google]
Blowout_soon.jpg
32KB, 814x294px
They actually made this. They made a Roadside Picnic show. I reckon absolute fuck up of original atmoshere, miscast, 180 turn of the original message as well as an absolutely different plot. Also shitty CG. What is worse, they say that they were inspired by Tarkovsky's Stalker which is Ed Wood's level of shit and Lem was right when called the fucker an asshole.

What do you think /sffg/?
>>
>>9126409
Also, forgot the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LcnXgvIF6U
>>
>>9126149
>if one doesn't break down and lament the loss of life, one is edgy
>if one doesn't break down into tears at the thought of rape, one is edgy
>all humans are the same and if they don't react how I would, they are edgy
>i read books for their philosophical implications, if books don't see human value as I do they are edgy

Fucking off yourself. I didn't even read the book, but I'm fed up of you cunts calling books edgy just because the characters don't confirm to your version of reality.

If I joke about death and try to keep feelings buried am I edgy because I don't show my emotions to you? Please take a leap of faith off a bridge in hopes the waters or pavement will break your fall.
>>
>>9126412
Probably more based on the games than the books.

I see Hollywood (or maybe Netflix) if trying to move away from the same ideas rehashed infinitum. I see a lot of novels are being turned into series or movies (they bought Sanderson out already).

They problem is, even though the ideas are fresh, they are still using their same cliched formula to translate a novel to cinema, i.e love triangles, unnecessary sacrifices, love at first sight, bad guy trying to kill some one and when he has them cornered he starts talking, etc.

They probably going to fuck up that series with mediocre cliches.
>>
>>9126415
Ehh, calm down buddy.
I wasn't expecting hyperbolic reactions like the ones you mentioned. I was only missing some backstory (the one provided was not convincing) or some explained reasoning behind the apparent sociopathy attributed to characters who otherwise seem very jolly and kind-hearted.

I'm fine with it and read with interest when fictional characters behave contrary to my moral convictions IF there seems to be enough precedent for it, just that this book didn't deliver on that front for me personally.

I'ts just that I'm the kind of person who tries to play Dishonored non-lethally, because the game gives me the option to not kill ordinary guardsmen whose only crime is to be stationed in my way.
>>
>>9122392
>let me ask this question again
>they didn't hear me the first 2 times
>>
File: 1481497095274.jpg (433KB, 1680x1260px) Image search: [Google]
1481497095274.jpg
433KB, 1680x1260px
>>9126531
Which one are you, Mormon or Catholic? Either way book of the long sun is for christfags such as yourself.

Also my points still stand
>characters don't confirm to my ethics, worldview or emotional outlook, ergo they are edgy
>>
>>9126578
>Which one are you, Mormon or Catholic?
Stop projecting. I'm not religious, your picture is not relevant.

>>characters don't confirm to my ethics, worldview or emotional outlook, ergo they are edgy
Nope, you don't get it. As I've stated here:
>>9126531
>I'm fine with it and read with interest when fictional characters behave contrary to my moral convictions IF there seems to be enough precedent for it
Ergo, if the author has created convincing characters that behave logically befitting their given backstory or the world around them, I'm OK if they murder or rape or whatever.
But in "A Darker Shade of Magic" I could not empathize with the character Delilah Bard most of the time, she seemed like a bad self-insert or something. But you wouldn't know about that, because:
>>9126415
>I didn't even read the book
Maybe you should read the book before you get into a fit? Your prejudices are not grounded as of now in my humble opinion.
>>
>>9126615
Sorry I was just triggered because the books I did read were called edgy, and shit was explained thoroughly. It's just the fags reading were too stupid to put the pieces together and called it edgy. Maybe they are used to (and only understands) the hand holding way Sanderson writes, he makes sure no one is left behind.

Would you call Malazan edgy by chance?
>>
>>9126641
Haven't read it. I do think that Prince of Thorns is edgy, and insufferable.
>>
>>9126718
Is Bakker edgy?
Carefully think before you answer
>>
>>9126788
It is grim-dark.
>>
File: asimov mangaka.png (206KB, 827x957px) Image search: [Google]
asimov mangaka.png
206KB, 827x957px
>>9125676
That's actually a great idea, not just for fetishes but for post-apoc, sympathetic magic, megastructures, etc. The weeb community is far beyond the SFF community there.
>>
hey Guys, I have a kinda stupid question. I want to buy myself a book from Dan Abnett (The Lost) and I'm tight on money so I have to consider it. Now on amazon (in germany) there are two versions: the one marked with ISBN 10 (1844168182), that one is said to be the Omnibus with 1024 Pages and more "Volume"in regards to the size of the book itself, the other is the (1844168190) and just says Novels. Both of them have the same amount and I can't see the difference between them.
>>
Never try to get suckered into obscure tie in novels for anything, they're excruciatingly expensive, sometimes impossible to acquire anywhere (the charity anthology of DOOM) rarely get scanned/ripped and are a very, very expensive hobby.
>>
Sorry for just dropping it here but does anyone know if the Kobo Aura H2O / Aura is a decent e-reader?
>>
File: file.png (114KB, 201x300px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
114KB, 201x300px
Are the sequels worth reading? The last chapter fucking sucked, btw
>>
>>9127096
Speaker for the Dead was alright, but when he introduced the magic teleporting box I gave up.
>>
>>9127113
Pretty much. The plot gets real fucking dumb after Speaker. For some reason I read the whole quartet, wasn't really worth it.
>>
>>9124337
fuckin this
>>
>>9127096
Speaker for the dead is better than Ender's Game.
>>
Hunn Raal did nothing wrong.

Is there any book which takes place in an infinitely sized building or structure?
>>
>>9125449

It's the weakest in the trilogy, but what didn't you like about it?
>>
>>9127493
How terrible the writing was
>>
File: 1446959521383.png (398KB, 598x498px) Image search: [Google]
1446959521383.png
398KB, 598x498px
>>9127784
>>
Any fantasy that explores the benefits of multiculturalism?
>>
>>9127924
Benefits of multiculturalism is pure fantasy
>>
>>9126415
But this post is edgy. Is that the joke?
>>
>>9127924

99% of fantasy books in the last 20 years
>>
>>9127096
I really, really like them but they do get weird and there's never any action ever again. Completely different from Ender's Game, much more similar to Card's other work. Definitely an acquired taste.

Oh and avoid the Shadow books and the prequels like they're Ebola.
>>
>>9127328
The High House.
>>
>>9127949
>>9127954
Never fucking reply to me again unless you're contributing to the thread.
>>
So are stories with asshole protagonists popular?

Can I have some recommendations?
>>
>>9128095

Broken Empire
>>
>>9128095
>asshole protagonists

alfred bester, the demolished man
frederik pohl, gateway
robert silverberg, book of skulls
jg ballard, high rise
gene wolfe, book of the new sun
brian aldiss, non-stop

it's a very common trope
>>
>>9128191
>Broken Empire
It is shit! Utter Shiiiit! Reeee!
>>
>>9128552

I liked it
>>
Could someone recommend me a stupidly obscure science fiction or fantasy book?
>>
>>9128619
Ask that guy hoarding SFF books in a shipping container, he has a whole bunch of niche shit I've never even heard of.
>>
>>9128619
They Mostly Come Out At Night
>>
>>9127096
Speaker for the Dead is absolutely incredible and 100% worth a read. It will be weird at first but just read on.

Xenocide is pretty meh but shit still hadn't hit the fan. Children of the Mind is when it becomes utter trash.
>>
>>9128751
Imagine entombing yourself in a shipping container full of yellowing old science fiction paperbacks. I'd like to break into there like a juvenile on a panty raid, and take one big sniff.
>>
>>9127113
>>9127234
>>9128925
Can you read Speaker and forget about the rest, or does it leave open too many plot points?
>>
Where is my lesbians taking dicks rec? I want to read about their tears and shame when they enjoyed the dicking, and the reality shattering view that they want another round.

Books where people are forced (blackmail or thw withholding of a cure) to do things they see as degenerate. I.e fucking their daughter, fucking their mom, fucking their grandmother, being a lesbian and taking dick.
>>
File: speaker for the dead.jpg (16KB, 256x301px) Image search: [Google]
speaker for the dead.jpg
16KB, 256x301px
>>9129102
why would you? That's the lamest book. The aliens are literally pig-people.
>>
>>9129111
Just read erotica
>>
>>9128619
Faction Paradox: Warlords of Utopia
>>
File: metal tolkien.jpg (59KB, 404x250px) Image search: [Google]
metal tolkien.jpg
59KB, 404x250px
Will the Beren and Luthien book be good? On a similar level to Hurin, at least?
>>
>>9129102
It sets up for a sequel and leaves a few plot threads open.
>>
>>9116255
>degenerate
>definite energy
>eigenstate
Why can't physicists just use normal fucking English?
Also, thanks for reminding me to check out Greg Egan.
>>
File: The_Demu_Trilogy.jpg (24KB, 228x403px) Image search: [Google]
The_Demu_Trilogy.jpg
24KB, 228x403px
>>9128751
Sure, but I have to actually research it to judge obscurity. Otherwise I assume I've just not heard of it due to age.
>>9129071
That's the dream anon. I'll be thanking you to treat them delicately...
>>
Is there a genre fiction book or any other book that approaches the machination minutiae especially pertaining assassinations, poisonings, and both literal and metaphorical cloak n dagger interplay like first Dune does?
>>
>>9128095
Thomas Covenant
>>
Anybody do "the author enters the narrative" better than Stephen King in the Dark Tower books? I heard Zelazny did one like that.
>>
>>9128095
The Kingkiller Chronicle
>>
>>9129111
>The average state of literature
Kill yourself.
>>
I've decided on a story I want to tell. I'm trying to decide how to handle POV. Do you guys prefer it like Dune, where it just sort of jumps around from paragraph-to-paragraph, or like GRRM, where it's just chapter-to-chapter that it switches? It's epic fantasy, so I'm thinking I go with good ol' GRRM method, but I do also sort of hate how much that slows down the story.
>>
>>9130148

>This will wake the autist up
>>
>>9130176
>"the" autist
>implying we've only got one
>>
>>9130148
>or like GRRM
Or every epic fantasy story ever, rather.
>>
>>9130148
multiple POVs are nearly always terrible
>>
File: memory.jpg (48KB, 289x475px) Image search: [Google]
memory.jpg
48KB, 289x475px
Does Orson Scott Card have any books nearly as good as Ender's Game? How is the Homecoming Saga? Alvin Maker?
>>
Authors who write multiple POVs need to fuck off.
>>
>>9130309

Homecoming is not very good compared to Ender's game IMO. The first one is okay but after that they get pretty tedious.
>>
>>9129811
Night Angel Trilogy. It's fantasy though (magic) and a lot of people say it's edgy, but I enjoyed it. Also if you're a degenerate, it's GRI approved.
>>
>With Blood Upon the Sand
I just realised that I could have downloaded this about 2 weeks ago... fuck.
>>
morning
>>
>>9130676

It's 1pm and I'm drunk and ready to go to sleep, but.
Good morning.
>>
File: tired frog.jpg (18KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
tired frog.jpg
18KB, 320x320px
Why don't Fantasy novels have more pictures?
No one really likes reading and fantasy is more often than not much too verbose.
Especially the sex scenes should have nice pictures so it'd be more fun to masturbate to them.
>>
>>9130906
Fuck off.
>>
>>9130920
Never fucking reply to me again unless you're contributing to the thread.
>>
>check Sanderson's blog
>he's released another novella
does this guy ever stop writing?
>>
>>9130933
>MUH PICTURE STORY BOOKS
Retard.
>>
>>9131011
Writing shit is pretty easy.
>>
>>9131012
Fuck you, reading is fucking boring as shit.
Anyone would much rather look at pretty pictures instead of a bunch of fucking nonsense words.
>>
>>9131035
Go read manga then. Why are you on /lit/?
>>
File: 1482872502997.png (76KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
1482872502997.png
76KB, 420x420px
>>9131035
>>
File: 1487190847475.gif (565KB, 147x154px) Image search: [Google]
1487190847475.gif
565KB, 147x154px
>>9131037
To enlighten you fucking plebs.

>>9131038
Fuck off.
>>
>>9131062
>being proud that you have the mental ability of a three year old
>>
>>9130337
>Night Angel Trilogy

sounds like generic fantasy overload trash but i will check it out

what is GRI?
>>
>>9131075
>these projections
You should open a cinema.
>>
>>9131143
Don't, it's exactly what it looks like.
>>
File: GRI APPROVED.png (61KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
GRI APPROVED.png
61KB, 800x600px
>>9131143
Only the best tag a book can contain. Once you know a book is GRI APPROVED you know it's quality.

Bakker is currently the king of GRI for modern authors.
>>
>>9131035
>>>/co/
>>>/aco/
>>
>>9131157
What does it look like pray tell?
Are you one of those cunts that unironically judges a book by it's cover?
>>
>>9131143
>>9131157
listen to this guy. It's absolutely generic edgy assassin stuff and the plot twists are contrived and feel like they were made up on the spot
>>
File: 1475038273449.png (610KB, 860x450px) Image search: [Google]
1475038273449.png
610KB, 860x450px
>>9131195
Please stop Kevin, no author who approves of covers like this is in a state of mind to write something readable. And the proof is in the book itself: It's bad.
>>
>>9131035
STOP
>>
>>9131215
Vince, please put down one of your star trek novels or monk novels and give night angel trilogy a try.
>>
File: micaluac.jpg (58KB, 555x502px) Image search: [Google]
micaluac.jpg
58KB, 555x502px
>>9131075
>On /lit/
>Why don't books have pictures!? I hate reading!
>Picture books are for children!
>LOL! No, YOU'RE the child for enjoying things not explicitly made to appeal to young children and their shorter attention spans!
>>
>>9131215
Night Angel is fine for a light flick.
>>
>>9131195
>Are you one of those cunts that unironically judges a book by it's cover?
That phrase is completely outdated, from when books had no coverart and marketing studies weren't a thing. You very well CAN judge a book by it's cover, since that's the entire fucking point of coverart. You fucking tool.
>>
When will /lit/ embrace some real literature?
>>
File: The_New_Women_of_Wonder.jpg (60KB, 400x690px) Image search: [Google]
The_New_Women_of_Wonder.jpg
60KB, 400x690px
>>9131534
It will never happen.
>>
What's the full name of this Bakker you guys keep talking about?
>>
>>9131633
Prince of Nothing series
>>
>>9131633
Scotland
>>
>>9131633
Bakker?
I hardly even know her!
>>
Book II of Paradise Lost is the best piece of fantasy ever written.
>>
>>9131681
LOL!
>>
File: 1487519695580.jpg (97KB, 350x510px) Image search: [Google]
1487519695580.jpg
97KB, 350x510px
>>9131831
>LOLI
>>
>>9131534
The only way that would happen is if somebody wrote a book where a hero must kill a king, but it's all a metaphor because the hero is actually fantasy writers and the king is literature.
>>
File: 1464723703590.gif (70KB, 296x335px) Image search: [Google]
1464723703590.gif
70KB, 296x335px
Why Sanderson's book has no dirty words?
>>
>>9130337
I also enjoyed it. Easy read.
>>
>>9131987

He's a hypocritical mormon
Preaches liberal values in his books and yet is conservative in his world view
>>
>>9132066
Isn't he quite popular regardless?
>>
>>9132109
Yes, with the reddit crowd.
>>
File: 1445988897157.jpg (98KB, 626x617px) Image search: [Google]
1445988897157.jpg
98KB, 626x617px
>>9132114
Those fuckers.
>>
Are there any books that truly embrace the idea that science is awesome?

The way i see it most scifi that actually deals with science has an icarus complex a mile wide and fantasy rarely deals with science at all. The only book I've read that truly embraces science with the attitude of "fuck yeah" is The Wall of Storms
>>
>>9131987
never read him, but I prefer when authors do that, especially when they go out of their way to be vulgar despite that.

Trying to be obscene without cursing leads to much more creative dialogue, and when the characters actually do swear it has a much more lasting impact. Not my daughter you bitch!
>>
>>9132248
Isaac Asimov. The science is well tempered by a pulp sensibility as well, including humor. Start with either I, Robot or Foundation.
>>
>>9132286
>starting someone on Asimov with his novels
Nightfall and Other Stories is objectively the best way to get into Asimov. His novels are secondary.

>>9132248
Neal Stephenson.
>>
>>9132396
Foundation is a good starting point. The Last Question is a good intro, too.

Stephenson is painful to read. I'm not sure who exactly Seveneves was for other than /r/futurology circlejerkers.
>>
>>9132416
>/r/futurology circlejerkers.
Who do you think is asking the question? Anyway Baroque Cycle is far better in terms of science stroking.
>>
>>9132428
I meant that there's nothing to appreciate about the book outside of "wow I love black science man, I can't believe he's a character here!" It was just bad. Admittedly I gave up at the 5000 year timeskip 2/3 of the way through, but the characters in the first 2/3 were so godawful that I didn't want to have to stomach a second set of them. There are better science-is-good books out there. Asimov would be my recommendation.
>>
>>9132286
>>9132396

Out of curiosity are there any fantasy books that do the same? I love people analyzing the science of a blatantly unscientific setting.
>>
>>9132502
The POV character isn't particularly interested in it all, but Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun series might interest you.
>>
>People stopped making new threads immedately at bump limit when Steve stopped posting

Huh...
Looks like it was Steve making the non faggy OPs all this time
>>
New thread.

>>9132584

>>9132584

>>9132584
Thread posts: 336
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.