[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just finished this. I was really excited after reading JDs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: 29939268.jpg (203KB, 314x475px) Image search: [Google]
29939268.jpg
203KB, 314x475px
I just finished this. I was really excited after reading JDs first novel, Wolf in White Van, so I got this thing as quick as I could.

I liked the structure and narrative stuff, but I don't think it quite had the punch of Wolf and the ambitious stuff he did with time and perspective might have kind of blunted the story a bit.

Has /lit/ read any of Darnielle's stuff yet? If so, what do you think? If you've read both, I'd like to see which you enjoyed less or more.
>>
I am banning you from using the word 'stuff' as a noun for three months. This will significantly improve your life.
>>
>>9114412
I accept this punishment. Jesus, I should have read that a couple of time before I posted it.
>>
>>9114430
*Times

Fucking kill me.
>>
>>9114402
I haven't read anything by him because I really enjoy the mountain goats and I'm worried I will hate the book and it will sully his music for me
>>
>>9114486
Pretty much this. I haven't read any reviews of this but the AV Club loved Wolf in White Van. I'm wary of most things the AV Club recommends so I'm wary about reading him.
>>
Darnielle Nobel prize when
>>
>>9114402
I have no idea who this guy is but I like the cover. Is that style vapourware?
>>
>>9114486
>>9114495
I'm a pretty big Goats fan myself. I had the same worries, but I eventually just said fuck it. I think he's a good lyricist and a smart guy so I just went for it. I wasn't disappointed.
>>
File: kanyewest-albumtitel.jpg (450KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
kanyewest-albumtitel.jpg
450KB, 2000x1000px
>>9114496
get in line
>>
>>9114402
What is it about?
>>
File: beat the champ.jpg (59KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
beat the champ.jpg
59KB, 355x355px
>>9114402
I finished UH last week and read WiWV about 6 months ago for a book club. I thought both the books were great. He has fantastic prose and it's really enjoyable to just read his writing. Darnielle writes with a modern style that isn't jarring and works without being too pretentious.

UH felt very unique to tell a story like that, with his postmodern style, told using the "horror" genre. I also live in Omaha so I connected with a lot of the references he makes.

WiWV is also great and I identify that it is probably the better book but I liked UH more, it could just be recency bias though. The RPG segments in particular were fantastic.
>>
>>9114877
20 something kid whose mom died a few years ago lives a boring but comfy life with his pops, and worked at the movie rental store in town. People start complaining about weird shit being on the tapes ( set right before DVDs) so he checks it out and it's creepy home videos taped over the movies. He, his manager at the store, and a teacher around his age start investigating, hilarity ensues. It's more a look at grief and moving on vs obsession. Darnielle's said that he wants the scary parts to all "feel like the moment right before the big scare". It's very jumpy with perspective and time, and there are a lot of characters all sorta getting different things outta the experience. Good read.
>>
File: 1486838409934.png (229KB, 559x331px) Image search: [Google]
1486838409934.png
229KB, 559x331px
>>9114448
>>
>>9115897
I agree with your assessment of his style, though I think the reason I liked Wolf more had to do with both the character of Sean (Who I found just so incredibly endearing despite his shitty situation), and the stream of consciousness that flowed from page to page. I also dug the structure a bit more, like how rather than going forward, the story was sorta moving back. I feel like I read somewhere that Darnielle wrote the last chapter first, and I could believe that.

Not at all to say thati don't love UH, but the Structure in Wolf just kicks ass.
>>
>>9116352
Thanks.

Sweep me up, my dude.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.