[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is english poetry so unbearably boring to read?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: 58757858.jpg (919KB, 1536x1536px) Image search: [Google]
58757858.jpg
919KB, 1536x1536px
Why is english poetry so unbearably boring to read?
>>
>>9114367
Paradise Lost is my favourite poem of all time. It's transcendentally beautiful. But hey, that's just my opinion.
>>
>>9114367

>Not liking Gormenghast
>Not liking His Dark Materials
>Not liking Paradise Lost
>>
File: poison.art_.zoom_.jpg (569KB, 950x1482px) Image search: [Google]
poison.art_.zoom_.jpg
569KB, 950x1482px
>>9114367
I can understand finding PL a bit much to take on, but that's not English poetry's fault as a whole. Give Blake a go.
>>
File: IMG_0763.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0763.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
yeah but pic is not related. It least it tells a story. The problem is Keats and Browning and Byron aging like milk but no one wanting to admit it. I remember forced to read some Ted Hughes, whose poetry is 90% about how he wishes he was an apex predator. Which might sound cool but it's not. For me Coleridge is the closest England could come to Rimbaud. I'll take his fragments over Wordsworth's collected works, except "Nutting" where he rapes a bower.
>>
Kipling is great, go fuck yourself, OP.
>>
>>9114488
Checked
>>
>>9114367
What would be your idea of non-boring poetry, anon?
>>
>>9114471
>The problem is Keats and Browning and Byron aging like milk but no one wanting to admit it
>When the majority disagree with me they are lying
What are you, Trump? Sad!
>>
>>9114471
>It least it tells a story
that literally doesn't matter
conventional narrative is a supplement in poetry
>>
>>9114723
No newchild, when the majority disagrees with me they disagree with me. My formulation does not imply not does it allow theoretical space for deception. Keats and Byron will remain in the "canon" but on the strength of their biographies, not their poems.

They talk about Trump on here too?
>>
File: jim-morrison-9415576-1-402.jpg (13KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
jim-morrison-9415576-1-402.jpg
13KB, 300x300px
Try a poet that wrote it his heart, not so snob writing literary masturbation
>>
>>9114367
I agree, it's like every English poet was a gigantic cuck
>>
>>9114752
>not (sic) imply not does it allow theoretical space for deception
>but no one wanting to admit it

Your position is I understand the minds of everyone who disagrees with me in this regard better than they do. Without something to back that up you ave basically created a system where you can never be wrong about anything.
>>
File: milton.jpg (65KB, 598x694px) Image search: [Google]
milton.jpg
65KB, 598x694px
>>
>>9114747
>conventional narrative
>supernatural being out of nowhere goes on a 6-day world building binge
>rests
>Creator trades a rib from model A for a fucktoy
>Tells them not to eat from the tree he knows they will eat from
>cartoon snakes weak arguments sway fucktoy
>Dumb Adam apes fucktoy
>God, omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient, can't find Adam in the garden
>Calls out for him
>Adam literally standing next to Him behind a bush
>Snake exposes idiocy of fucktoy
>they take his limbs
>conventional storytelling

narrative might supplement short form lyric poetry but Paradise Lost is an epic which sets itself the minor challenge of "justify[ing] the ways of God to men" Epic poetry on this scale is inherently narrative.

Is this the level now, morons who've neither read nor lurked make fbook-tier observations?
>>
>>9114831
do you think conventional narrative means how wacky it is? are you that dumb?

>Epic poetry on this scale is inherently narrative.
except for later works like Maximus Poems or A or The Cantos right?
>>
>>9114367
not trying to be an asshole but yeah, I don't think english is such a beautiful language. in my opinion, of the modern languages, french, italian and portuguese are finer than english (those are the languages I can read, still fuck up to talk except one that is my native)

still, I don't think in ANY way english poetry is bad, I love paradise lost.
>>
File: IMG_0974.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0974.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
>>9114880
I don't think you have any idea what you mean by "conventional" narrative. You're just another buzzword-blabbing namedropper shitting up the board with your virtual cumdroplets in your semen jars
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.