[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hatred towards modernism in literature

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 849425.gif (83KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
849425.gif
83KB, 500x281px
I fucking hate this sub-human school of writing. Bring me my Tolstoy, Zola, Turgenev, Maupassant, Ballsack and others back! I am into Realism and Naturalism. How can you read Modern or even post-modern literature? How is a perfectly healthy human being capable of such a thing? FOR SHAME!
>>
for someone superficially fond of realism and naturalism, you come across as an awfully irate and hyperventilating millenial desu
>>
>>9113885
Realism and Naturalism are both modernist movements desu. All those guys you mentioned are modern
>>
>>9113885
>superficially
no
>>
>>9113885
Meh, it's good that both exist but just like with modern art, people have trouble telling the good from the fake and it slowly replaces everything until you get laughed at for painting a landscape while the government gives your enemy a grant for pissing on a tampon so you grow frustrated and develop a hatred for the whole movement.
>>
>>9113917
No they aren't, no they aren't
>>
>>9113885
I like art as art and don't need a realistic interpretation. I like the abstract.
>>
>>9113933
Yeah they are dumbass
>>
>>9113885
>>9113899
>>9113917

He went out of his way to spell Balzac 'Ballsack', are you really under the impression that OP is being sincere?
>>
>>9113885
>likes realism and naturalism
>doesn't like modernism
Niche tastes. You like the promotional material, but don't like the actual content.
You reap what you sow.

But Tolstoy was amazing, you can only blame modernism (and postmodernism) for stunting imagination and thought in such a manner that no other great writers have risen as of late.
>>
>>9113955
Artificial problems can bring forth innovation.
>>
File: 7649474.png (163KB, 455x381px) Image search: [Google]
7649474.png
163KB, 455x381px
>>9113955
>are you really under the impression that OP is being sincere?
new sincerity bro
>>
File: tumblr_oixk7ogW591qbe766o1_500.jpg (97KB, 500x447px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oixk7ogW591qbe766o1_500.jpg
97KB, 500x447px
>>
>>9113885

Everyone knows Modernism is the culmination and logical progression of both 19th century romanticism and realism.
>>
File: that thing you used to love.jpg (76KB, 800x582px) Image search: [Google]
that thing you used to love.jpg
76KB, 800x582px
One thing that I've noticed about writing (from about after the mid-90s) is a really strange style that's falsely humble but also feigns self-awareness. It's hard to give an example, but I see it all the time, like how in amateur dramatics people don't so much as over-act but rather act how they think an actor would act that scene, but just overtly enough that they wont be attacked for poor acting. They don't want to run the risk of being called pretentious so they Woody Allen it.

It pops up in its most blatant way in YA lit, but you see it just as badly in "mature" literature as well.

Does anyone else get what I'm trying to say?
>>
>>9113962

>But Tolstoy was amazing

War and Peace:
>Dude, fuck Napoleon, lmao. Dude, didactic sophomoric essays all the time fucking up the entire flow, lmao

Kreutzer Sonata:
>Dude, sex is immoral and bad, lmao. Never mind I realized this at the exact moment my dick stopped working due to advanced age after a lifetime of relentless fornication, lmao.

How Much Land Does A Man Need?
>Dude, greed is bad, lmao. The answer is six feet, lmao.

The Cossacks:
>Dude, youthful alienation, lmao.

The Death of Ivan Ilyich:
>Dude, did you ever think about death, and like, how it's scary and stuff? Lmao.

Master and Servant:
>Dude, there's more to life than money, lmao.

:^)
>>
>>9114627
Yes

The most insufferable styles of writing are those that are overly self-referential and feign self-deprecation, makes me wanna claw my eyeballs out everytime desu
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.