[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Final Chapter of A Clockwork Orange

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Clockwork_orange.jpg (75KB, 257x377px) Image search: [Google]
Clockwork_orange.jpg
75KB, 257x377px
Am I a fool for thinking the last chapter of the book is stupid? I understand what it was going for, but it seems highly contradictory to the previous 20 chapters of the novel. From what I gathered, Alex's ability to participate and most importantly CHOOSE to partake in ultraviolence is in essence what makes him human, yet the final chapter just implies he'll outgrow it. I fully support the final chapter being included as it is what Burgess intended, but I find it to be a wholly uninteresting chapter. Thoughts?
>>
Thought it was 'boys will be boys' shite. Glad the American editor had the sense to tell him it was crap and to consign it to the trash heap
>>
>>9113703
>>9113785
I agree it seemed a bit like a "you see, we don't even have to do anything" cop out. Because if you're actually confronted with the dilemma of men who will again and again rape and kill and never reform, the whole "freedom to choose is just human" shit becomes worthless because our only option is to eliminate them, one way or another (killing, prison, therapy).
>>
>>9113785
>>9113821
I agree, it felt fairly lazy
>>
>>9113703
Not a fool but a pleb for sure. It wasn't meant to be some morality play or a Clapistani basic cable crime drama even if you don't have the sensibilities to stomach anything else.
>>
Kubrick definitely knew of the last chapter before he made the movie and then just claimed afterwards that he didn't so he wouldn't hurt Burgess's feelings.
>>
It was meant to make fun of the exact kind of reader who's so full of hot air that they're only comfortable with neat, consistent little stories that conform to their two-bit ideas about humanity and morality. This was alluded to earlier with Alex's treatment of the in-story author of A Clockwork Orange, the blatant disregard for that work and how that author tried to kill him later in the book out of rage despite being such a blowhard with all those banal pretentious humanist affectations.
>>
>>9113703
if you can manage to get your hands on a copy of the norton critical edition, the back of the book has a couple essays by Burgess himself going into a lot of the book's theoretical framework...

from what i can remember having that wonky final chapter was something about symmetry (a triptych composed of three 7 chapter segments), and about classical bildungsroman narrative arcs, yadda yadda yadda

from reading the criticism you can tell burgess is a pretty intelligent guy, but that doesnt preclude the last chapter of his book from being a big fucking mistake
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.