[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain to me what the point of this book was? I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Metamorphosis.jpg (100KB, 585x952px) Image search: [Google]
Metamorphosis.jpg
100KB, 585x952px
Can someone explain to me what the point of this book was? I get the idea of him being "crushed like a bug" has double meaning and all that, but I didn't really "connect" with the book in any meaningful way.

Yeah, he has his priorities wrong, and worries about the wrong things considering his situation.

Yeah, he's in constant pain, and everything is so awful for him.

Yeah, he's disgusting and his family grows to hate him because of his situation until he eventually dies.

So what? I didn't get outright bored with the book, but compared to Kafka's other works, it's really disappointing.
>>
>>9113584
Which other Kafka works did you enjoy and what makes them different to the metamorphosis for you?
>>
>>9113638
Favorite one of mine is probably "The Trial". The difference that made it enjoyable to me is that I felt that K was a more believable character than Samsa. Samsa felt almost tragicomic in his behaviour, like someone took Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh and elevated him to "classic literature" status.

>"Oh well, I'm a bug now"
>>
The point is that his family never did love him. His whole life was working a shit job that he hated so that they'd be supported, and the moment he became unable to do so, they essentially abandoned him. They only wanted him cured so that he could support them again. Outside of being the money maker, he had no value whatsoever in his family.

He worked as hard as he could for these people, and the very moment he needed them, what happens? They complain and lament their situation, and eventually rejoice in his death when it arrives
>>
You must be wageslave to truly understand
>>
>>9113660
Dude I'd fucking rejoice as well if I was them. His death was a true relief.

I've heard that analysis before, but I don't like it, since it assumes that "to love someone" is this one-dimensional thing. It's made clear throughout the book that they didn't love him unconditionally in the first place, but then that, more interesting story is taken away from us, by turning him into a GIANT FUCKING BUG, and basically excusing all of the family's actions.
>>
>>9113669
If you're really so distracted by something that's so obviously meant to be absurd then I don't know what to tell you.
>>
>>9113584
That book was for when people still used to feel books. Now it's just pseud-intellectualism and pretence of control over the fruition of art.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.