[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reading Great Expectations being ESL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: great-expectations.jpg (252KB, 728x1113px) Image search: [Google]
great-expectations.jpg
252KB, 728x1113px
I'm a Russian who's been learning English for 3 years. And now, having watched numerous TV shows in English while craving for an actual read, I finely decided on this book. How difficult was it for you as a native speaker? Is the lexicon in the novel too dense for me?
>>
>>9109561
>craving 'for'
Oh, my! I used 'for' after the word crave again. Sorry for that.
>>
>>9109575
There's some obscure vocabulary in that book in relation to modern times, but nothing you can't get around with a good ol' dictionary; the narrative itself is not too arduous. There are some misty allusions (for me at least) you may have to refer to the endnotes though.

t. ESL
>>
Not particularly difficult, although the Victorian style isn't the easiest form of the language. You should do fine though.
>>
>>9109561
Most classic works are well flushed with precise vocabulary. Not that Dickens should be difficult, at least when compared to other works, but be prepared to be faced with uncommon words which you'll have to research and understand. But I say go for it man.

Also, most native English speakers also use "for" after craving, so don't fret. But you did say "finely" (something done precisely or made very small) when I believe you meant finally. Best of luck buddy.
>>
>>9109561
Booбщe y нac eгo oчeнь хopoшo пepeвeли, тaк чтo вoзьми чтo-нибyдь лyчшe дpyгoe. Haпpимep, Haд пpoпacтью вo pжи, кoтopый пepeвeдeн y нac тaк ceбe.
>>
I remember attempting to teach the opening of A Tale of Two Cities to an advanced English learner.

In that famous passage I found that it was the humour that was most difficult to explain. It's full of ironic word choices.

Generally speaking, reading translated literature, just go for it, accept you cannot pick up every nuance, and find your entertainment where you can. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
>>
>>9109876
>reading translated literature, just go for it,
>accept you cannot pick up every nuance
you can bugger off
>>
>>9109561

>Tfw was in Foundation English GCSE back in Secondary
>Teacher was surprised and praised me for being the only one who could actually read it
>Everyone else was a tard who could barely even read the first page

It's a little archaic at times but not as dense as something say like Lovecraft. You should be able to get it done in two days if your ability is good enough. The style is pretty simplistic but you'd need to look up a few things considering the times it is set in.
>>
>>9109876
>In that famous passage
what's the passage?
>>
bump/
>>
>>9110158
>It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair…
>>
>>9110419
And how is reading it in Russian supposed to help me understand the irony or whatever the fuck?
>>
it's impossible to read a book in a totally foreign language and understand it
>>
bump////
>>
>>9109575
What the fuck is wrong with that
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.