[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: rubaiyat.jpg (15KB, 235x215px) Image search: [Google]
rubaiyat.jpg
15KB, 235x215px
What does /lit/ think of this?

I personally loved it, although I may be biased, being a filthy apostate myself.
>>
He's no Rumi, but he's alright.
>>
They're fucking great, I read them in russian.

Khayyam was an ancient shitposter stuck in era and place where islam was dominant, but he didnt actually like it it seems, and just shitposted relentlessly. He even has 'ayy' in his name. Like ayy lmao.

Anyways, great reads. I remember being really really down and just stumbling upon his works and he really cheered me up desu. Great dude it seems, great shitposter.
>>
>>9108950
Well, Khayyam was more of a astronomer/philosopher. Still, this poetry is great, although I do agree that Rumi was better.
>>
The Fitzgerald translation is literal shit
>>
>>9108975
Which translation do you recommend?
>>
>>9108978
Russian one, heh
>>
File: omarKhayyami.jpg (193KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
omarKhayyami.jpg
193KB, 1440x810px
>>9108975
>>9108978
Robert Le Galienne translation is best.
>>
>>9108910
Dude, wine, lmao
>>
>>9108953
>He even has 'ayy' in his name. Like ayy lmao.

my sides
>>
>>9108975
>A miracle happens: from the fortuitous conjunction of a Persian astronomer who condescended to write poetry and an eccentric Englishman who peruses Oriental and Hispanic books, perhaps without understanding them completely, emerges an extraordinary poet who resembles neither of them. Swinburne writes that FitzGerald "has given to Omar Khayyam a permanent place among the major English poets," and Chesterton, sensitive to the romantic and classical elements of this extraordinary book, observes that it has both "an elusive melody and a lasting message." Some critics believe that FitzGerald's Omar is, in fact, an English poem with Persian allusions; FitzGerald interpolated, refi ned, and invented, but his Rubaiyat seems to demand that we read it as Persian and ancient.

>All collaboration is mysterious. That of the Englishman and the Persian was even more so, for the two were quite different, and perhaps in life might not have been friends; death and vicissitudes and time led one to know the other and make them into a single poet.

Jorge Luis Borges
>>
>tfw my copy has the last fucking line torn out

What fucking animal would do this
>>
>>9110137
Surely you're just baiting me
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamam_Shud_case
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.