[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>But suddenly Gollum remembered thieving from nests long ago,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: 51S4R4KDYPL.jpg (39KB, 314x475px) Image search: [Google]
51S4R4KDYPL.jpg
39KB, 314x475px
>But suddenly Gollum remembered thieving from nests long ago, and sitting under the river bank teaching his grandmother, teaching his grandmother to suck--"Eggses!" he hissed. "Eggses it is!"
What was meant by this?
>>
I’m not sure where the phrase came from but I’m from the UK and thats where I’ve heard it used. I googled the phrase "teaching your grandmother to suck eggs" and found a quite informative article on the website worldwide words. It seems to have been in use since the early 1700’s at least and is basically saying "don’t presume to offer advice to an expert"...There are examples of similar phrases there.....Tolkien undoubtedly would have been aware of this phrase so I cannot believe that this was meant in a literal sense.
>>
Here’s a possible answer : My version of "The Hobbit" is in French ; and at that part, there’s a note saying that the expresion "teaching his grandmother to suck eggs" is synonymous to the French expression Gros-Jean qui en remontre à son curé, which means that those who are ignorant like to teach or correct those that already have knowledge.
>>
He made his gran gobble on his veg. Rite of passage in hobbiton
>>
File: Bilbo le hobbit.jpg (41KB, 309x475px) Image search: [Google]
Bilbo le hobbit.jpg
41KB, 309x475px
>>9108007
>My version of "The Hobbit" is in French
Is French your preferred language? Have you read the English and French translations both? I have pic-related and am tempted to read it but my French is rudimentary at best.
>>
>>9108008
Smeagol wasn't from Hobbiton you fuck.
>>
Call him Smægol. Long time ago, did not mather how long precisely and with no ring in purse, he said to Granny ‛Hey Mamma, wacha see m'a Smægol finny rods' while grabbing off her headneck and putting his frail hookstick across Grama's fishy tongue with alacrity desperation. And she said Gulp, gulp, gulp, and then said goll, goll, goll. Night after nigth the trail continued, it was the third stroke when he made his move. And with the impactant tackleau of thus stick-stock and the wada-wada laba-labia, a horrifying streik sounded out loud like a gollûm, coff, coff, glurps, gollûm, and puke the læmb, a stirabout. But so then he, who dragged like the fisherman elf grabs the salmon out of the Oceanus, pulled out with masculinity and gentlemannerism inherited from tradition the sticka'rrod separating the gustative cave-worm from the elder now-corpse. Seemed she wås not the early bird, no more.
And then querubin of the Lore made it's appear eith the trumpets of the Pallas of Glass. And the Lore said to Smægol ‛ You ain't be the pater famely of countless nations. You are with me and I am with you. Now I name you Gollum and with a bald cut as sign of our alliance I retire my self to rest and Larp. Now then he knew it, she was a blop and he was a Hurricane. She was the prey when we was the pray who pray the Lore.
Claps.
>>
>>9108135
Reads more like work from Bill Cosby
>>
>>9108085
Then why are you trying to read it in French?
>>
>>9108135
-JJ
>>
File: images (2).jpg (15KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
15KB, 384x384px
>>9108159
>>
>>9108153
I said that I'd like to, not that I have. Because it's a children's book, which would be something reasonable for me to whet my French on, and Tolkien's works are something with which I am already familiar, so that would likely help with my reading comprehension even if I don't already know some of the vocabulary.
>>
>>9107974
that cover is so good
>>
File: The Hobbit.jpg (423KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
The Hobbit.jpg
423KB, 1920x1080px
>>9108198
Personally, my favourite cover is the original.
>those colours
hnngg
>>
>>9108242
Who made this one, btw? It's truly amazing.
>>
>>9109369
I'm pretty sure Tolkien drew those original covers.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.