[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kurt Vonnegut

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: kurt-vonnegut-1.jpg (45KB, 200x272px) Image search: [Google]
kurt-vonnegut-1.jpg
45KB, 200x272px
Was Vonnegut a modern genius, or is his work overrated trash?
>>
Somewhere in the middle.
>>
>>9102627
Neither.
>>
thats funny, just today i thought to myself i'm going to read slaughterhouse five. its pretty ok so far.
>>
>>9102631
This. Closer to trash than genius though.
>>
After not seeing any Vonnegut threads here for weeks or months, there are like 3 right now... what algorithm do you guys use?
>>
Hes like a mixture of Pynchon (lite), family guy/simpsons, cotton candy, popcorn, well really... he kind of touches upon all the foods, sweat, savory, filling... each of his books touched different themes etc. and hes really comfy style, warm and inviting, fun, playful, rich, light, but touches upon it all, its just a unique experience, and he is definitely deserves...as history has dictated, to stand out from 'dime a thousand dozen' writers, and some other stuff I cant be bothered to try to think of I think.

His work is certainly not overrated trash... I mean... It doesnt matter... If there were a billion people or not, that rated it, it doesnt matter.... the books exist, you can read them or not, and maybe you will have your unique experience with them.

The quantity of his output (at the high quality for what his writing was... not victorian or ancient classics) is impressive enough, so I think he 'approached genius' (significantly often..and beheld it), which is what I prefer to say regardless. Some of his paintings (yes, """modern""") are quite cool.
>>
>>9102627
Every fucking time cracked posts an article some pleb asks about Vonegut
>>
I've only read Slaughterhouse Five, but I was underwhelmed by it. I think if I read it in high school as babby's first postmodern novel I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more, but I read it as a 26 year old with decent exposure to postmodern lit & theory and it just felt inferior. Trash is way to harsh but I would say he is overrated. Also I really got sick of the whole "So it goes." gimmick and did not care for his writing style in general. I plan to read Cats Cradle and Breakfast of Champions eventually to give him another shot, but I'm not necessarily looking forward to it.
>>
>>9104124
Sirens of Titan is his best. He's really not that good as a whole though and people tend to like him less and less with each book of his they read.
>>
>>9104124
What are some of your favorite postmodern novels? What are some of your favorite novels?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.