[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trouble Visualizing When Reading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

I started trying to read again thanks to lurking on /lit/, and I'm in the process of developing a habit of reading daily. Something I noticed is that I often find myself "stuck" whenever I read a long description of some environment/physical location, especially when I don't recognize the words too well. I only have a vague, intuitive idea of what the environment looks like, and when I try and focus and piece it together, it doesn't make sense (why would this side-walk be here if the park is facing this way, why did we climb into someone's yard if we're coming from the beach, etc. etc.)

Has /lit/ ever had issues with this? Do you just read through it and not worry about it too much? Is it just an issue of unfamiliarity with vocabulary and physical environments? And finally, how do I improve? Also, any general remarks about visualizing would be useful, sometimes I pause when reading when I can't quite visualize a character, so I have some generic image as a result

Thanks in advance
>>
A good advice in your situtation would be to read books. Also, try to read books. And, lastly, reading books was reported to help
>>
File: IMG_0500.jpg (39KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0500.jpg
39KB, 500x300px
>>9100749
This. A beginner's ability to visualize is cinematic at the very best. It'll take months before your mind can invest literary scenery with the accuracy and eminence specific to the medium.
>>
>>9100773
Blah blah blah, all I'm reading is a bunch of big fancy words from a pretentious twat. Post hidden. Next time don't try so hard to sound smart.
>>
>>9100749
>>9100773

Thanks, it makes sense that reading more would help. It's comforting to know that it's something that will develop over time, I just want to make sure it's something I can fix

>>9100812

How am I being pretentious? I'm just trying to be descriptive, there is no one I'm trying to impress by talking about a reading weakness, if anything it's the opposite

It can be very difficult to post anything on /lit/ that won't trigger some anon, I guess
>>
>>9100737
Start with something light to get your brain back into getting good images from words. I used The Hunger Games where the images more or less form themselves when I wanted to get back into reading. Ender's Game was good too.
>>
>>9100812
what the fuck? you dont belong here you little shit.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.