[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some essential translated writings to get more into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: CIMG2054.jpg (2MB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
CIMG2054.jpg
2MB, 4608x2592px
What are some essential translated writings to get more into Asian cultures and philosophy? I'm more interested in the culture of the collective and its benefits for society from a more objective point of view rather than one that engages with the collectivist position as something assumed to be inherently good.
>>
An Introduction to Chinese Philosophy: From Ancient Philosophy to Chinese Buddhism by Jeeloo Liu

Readings in Classical Chinese Philosophy by Philip J. Ivanhoe, Bryan W. Van Norden
>>
>>9100587
Not OP but thanks. I love the Asian culture and philosophy threads on here.
>>
>>9100582
>translated writings

just learn Classical Chinese, homey
>>
>>9101120
I spent a few months abroad learning moonrunes, and while I'm not totally literate, I'm far better than what I was. If I might be truthful, I don't have the time to pick up another language to study.
>>
>>9100582
A good rule of thumb is to always go with a work on the history of the field before dipping into it. In this case, A History of Chinese Philosophy, Vol. I-II by Feng Youlan is typically viewed as a classic in the field of the history of Chinese philosophy.
>>
>>9101504
>>9100587
I see a lot of this is just Chinese philosophy. Are there any writings concerning philosophies outside of China and Japan?
>>
>>9101586
...India?
>>
I don't think classical Chinese philosphy or elite culture is collectivist at all. Confucianism, Daoism, Chinese Buddhism - it all emphasised individual cultivation. Chinese poetry, fiction, history is all about celebrating extraordinary individuals.

As it says says in "The Great Learning"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Learning
>If you want to improve the world you should make sure the state is well-governed, a well-governed state needs solid family units, to have a solid family you must cultivate the self.

Individualism in Classical Chinese Thought:
http://www.iep.utm.edu/ind-chin/

The "asian = collectivist" meme comes from
1)non asian-specific hangovers from traditional agrarian society
2)Chinese folk religion commemoration of ancestors misread as meaning that PARENTS=GODS
3)Images of Chinese Communism
>>
>>9101586
For Indian, I know that Peter Adamson's History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps is going through Indian philosophy right now. Besides that, I'm clueless on Asian philosophy outside China/Japan.
>>
>>9101596
4) /leftypol/ goons trying to claim communism is the natural state for east asians
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.