[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who's the David Lynch of literature?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

File: DL_400x400.jpg (19KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
DL_400x400.jpg
19KB, 400x400px
Who's the David Lynch of literature?
>>
>>9098599
Me
>>
>>9098609
yeah this guy, his name is toby onest and he wrote my diary
>>
>>9098599
Probably David Lynch
>>
>>9098599
Thomas Pynchon

a deliberately shitty answer to a deliberately(?) shitty question
>>
>>9098599
his style is so quintessentially cinematic that i don't think it can be translated into literature. much of his work takes inspiration from literature though; eraserhead is basically kafka in movie form, and twin peaks took many cues from the work of carl jung.
>>
>>9098644
joke: and twin peaks took many cues from the work of carl jung.
woke: Yall need to get a job while you're young.
>>
File: david-lynch-book.jpg (45KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
david-lynch-book.jpg
45KB, 500x500px
>>9098599
David Lynch
>>
>>9098641
I said this and was told I was a pleb. I dont think lynch has a literary counterpart but Ill defend this as the closest it comes.
>surreal, tropey, slapstick, dark humor
>>
>>9098599
I dunno. Kafka? Murakami?

He did influence some Japanese mangaka with his work, so maybe Itou Junji?

If you look at the themes of Uzumaki and Tomie they really mirror a lot of the themes in Twin Peaks and Mulholland Drive. To Itou's credit, however, his style is just as well defined as Lynch in his own sphere - and Uzumaki's execution blows Twin Peaks out of the water (because the second season was so poorly executed).
>>
>>9098724
The second season had Ben Horne believing he was a confederate general, it had Bobby Briggs listening to the Colonel's dream, it had the finale.
>>
>>9098691
lol wtf?
>>
>>9098743
twin peaks s2 is the ultimate pleb filter.
>>
>>9098750
it is, just not in the way you think it is.
>>
>>9098773
well, what did you dislike about it? i'll admit it gets a bit goofier than s1, but it maintains the great audiovisual style of the series, and has some of the strongest moments in the series (see >>9098743 )
>>
Obviously Kafka.
>>
>>9098812
no man I'm all pro-S2, seems like there was a bit of misunderstanding here

(although obviously it DID defer from Lynch's vision a lot and it did suffer for it; i'm just being generous and interpreting it from a "death of the author" viewpoint)
>>
>>9098691
I found this funny.
>>
>>9098644

yeah, this.

he becomes dense precisely through the loss of words, that's what cinema's all about.

besides kafka and jung, i'd go with a mix of textual references composed of apollinaire, pelevin, ionesco, jonathan lethem and gombrowicz...
on top of that, you add some of that late 50s suburban americana, maybe carver
>>
>>9098872
+ kobo abe, some xixth century fairy tales and some doo wop lyricists
>>
>>9098599
Alain Robbe-Grillet
>>
>>9098743
I'm not sure if you're saying you liked those things or you didn't like those things, but I just really don't feel like explaining all the reasons why I didn't like the second season.

If we were talking face to face, I wouldn't mind, but I just don't feel like typing it all out right now.

I'll just say this:

The second season of Twin Peaks annihilated many of the structural and thematic strengths of the first season, and suggested Lynch did not fully understand his own work (not that I would really hold that against him personally - art is as much a process of self-discovery as it is of revelation, but it does stand against the work).

They also used directors whose stylistic differences were so distinct from Lynch's the general flow of the camera work, and, even more importantly, some of the visual symbolism was disturbed.

Although there were still a few interesting themes in Season Two, the way these themes were explored in the work left a lot to be desired.
>>
>>9098967
>The second season of Twin Peaks annihilated many of the structural and thematic strengths of the first season, and suggested Lynch did not fully understand his own work (not that I would really hold that against him personally - art is as much a process of self-discovery as it is of revelation, but it does stand against the work).

Lynch didn't write most of the second season. The episodes he did most of the work for are pretty obvious though.
>>
>>9098985
Oh, I didn't know he didn't write them.

In that case, it makes a lot of sense.

I agree, it is obvious when he isn't directing.
>>
Kanye West
>>
File: Cioran.jpg (83KB, 626x800px) Image search: [Google]
Cioran.jpg
83KB, 626x800px
>>9098599
Cioran of course.
>>
>>9098599
The answer is always Kafka.
>>
>surrealist director
>can't find a surrealist author
>>
File: big_1405586983_image.jpg (73KB, 1280x644px) Image search: [Google]
big_1405586983_image.jpg
73KB, 1280x644px
>>9100543
What is the red room of Kafka?
>>
File: benjy.jpg (132KB, 634x360px) Image search: [Google]
benjy.jpg
132KB, 634x360px
What are the Apples of Oranges?
>>
>>9101057
oranges
>>
John Ashberry, I can't believe no one has said his name yet.
>>
>>9101057
What's the James Franco of cliches?
>>
>>9101993
Kurt Vonnegut or Milo Yanipoppullouse desu
>>
>>9101993
Dave Franco
>>
>>9101035
Klamm's carriage
The bedroom of the girl in Amerika (forget her name)
Not sure about the Trial, possibly the artist's studio
>>
>>9101035
The ballroom in A Confidence Trickster
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.