[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Conrad v. Achebe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

Who was in the right?
>>
Neither, really. The humanity of the indigenous was not instrumental in the story of Heart of Darkness. All that was important was that they appear foreign, terrifying and bestial to Marlow and co., as they would to any british expansionists
>>
To discover who was in the right
You need ask only Which was white?
>>
>>9097455
Poetry. Nice Dubs
>>
>>9097455
>a pole and an igbo
neither
>>
>>9097449
So Achebe essentially missed the point of Heart of Darkness and sperged out for no reason?

>>9097455
Kek, checked.
>>
>>9097455
Poles aren't white. Nice dubs, though.
>>
>>9097486
>So Achebe essentially missed the point of Heart of Darkness and sperged out for no reason?

Yes.

Notice how this happens a LOT in the history of "response" literature. Misapprehension is crucial to it. It's like how the writer of The Wide Sargasso Sea doesn't get the point of Jane Eyre.
>>
>>9097529
So why does modern academia give this guy so much attention? Is it something along the lines of white guilt?
>>
>>9097449
>>9097486

But maybe Achebes point, is how the literature can affect/effect the populous?

That is the thing, a lot of these conflicts and controversies, and criticisms, and book burnings.

If he writes this book, and to the english, the indigenous appear savage, and then to the reader, all the reader can make out from the text, is that the good pure saintly english, encountered the animal-men, then thats that.

But if in reality, the indigenous, were not really so savagely... than what? This work of fiction, can paint a real affect/effect of fact, on the mind, and culture, and then world, of the populous which internalizes the story, and believes it in some sense reflects reality.
>>
>>9097455
Thread done. Came here to post this.
>>
>>9097719

Because Achebe is really good. Things Fall Apart is a great book with a very well-conveyed theme, but it's good even independent of that theme.

The Igbo society is unromanticized. It's violent, muh-soggy-knee-stic, inegalitarian, etc. but it makes a strong case that that doesn't give the colonists the right to come in and destroy it.

If zhyew want to -hgggghh- degonshtruckt it, you can also make a strong argument that it's unconsciously fascistic. Even given all the flaws of the society the language very much situates the Igbo as superior to the colonists.

It's a good-ass book and very worthy of academic attention.
>>
>>9099086
This is just what I felt when I read it.
I thought I was alone in this.
Thank you so much, Anon.
>>
>tfw forced to read incoherent nigger ramblings of Achebe instead of Conrad in highschool
>>
>>9099159
Better than the diary of Otto Frank
>>
>>9099159
>At least I was lucky enough to have a college professor who had us read both.
Le magical yam man nearly put me to sleep and I don't remember making it through the whole text.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.