[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I into /lit/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: Marisa is confused.png (583KB, 800x900px) Image search: [Google]
Marisa is confused.png
583KB, 800x900px
Read the sticky. How many books do people normally read and how fast? Like I'm reading Vanity Fair on my Kindle at about 10% a day and I feel like I am wasting too much of my existence on being an inferior pleb due to my lack of literary knowledge. I got loads of charts though I would never be able to get through them in a lifetime so how do people on here seem to do that?

Furthermore, how do you enjoy books? It literally feels like I'm just looking at words and nothing happens, especially with prose (I did not enjoy Blood Meridian and The Road at all), everyone here though seems to care loads about the little details and interconnecting stories/themes of novels which, whilst I do understand, seem more enjoyable in picture, what am I missing? Catch-22 was the only book I've really enjoyed thus far and I'm going to get Hyperion (because apparently Nagato gave it to Kyon) and Gravity's Rainbow (because I like the Klaxons), how would I go about maximizing the pleasure from reading the books? I currently scan my eyes across each line and then diagonally downwards in two movements (as that's supposed to help) though I find it really exhausting to do that without wanting to skip several pages until stuff happens.

Also what is with philosophy? I've been reading the First Alcibiades among Plato's other works and it is just people talking to each-other on punishment with no real sense of direction, is there some theme to these dialogues on morality? Is there some colossal revelation to be held?

Anyway, sorry for the tangent, though I really don't get literature, and feel guilty because of such.
>>
>>9097185
>Also what is with philosophy?
>Is there some colossal revelation to be held?

Nah, take the redpill instead and drop the whole 'reading' thing
>>
Has contemporary society failed us?
>>
Not very good bait, nice try though desu.
>>
File: schopenhauer.jpg (85KB, 806x1022px) Image search: [Google]
schopenhauer.jpg
85KB, 806x1022px
There are no real pleasures without real needs.
>>
>>9097211
I'm not trying, I seriously don't get it. I tried forcing myself to read at different times of the day through charts (British/Irish lit, philosophy and international lit) and I found it exhausting rather than really getting any of it. Yet there are so many books and so much knowledge to be gained from them that I feel bad for not pushing myself enough to get through.

Read through the books crossed out on this image and whilst the Dutchess of Malfi was pretty cool and I liked the adventures of King Arthur and his knights, I didn't really benefit much from the experience other than getting a few more questions right on The Chase.

What sort of books are rich in non-fictional information though are still compelling to read and cannot be imagined as films if that makes much sense, is Infinite Jest such a book? (Given that it is supposed to be encyclopedic).
>>
Unpopular opinion: get into popular fiction first if you want to learn how to enjoy reading. You won't want to continue doing anything if you don't like it - this is simple stuff. Learn what it feels like to crave reading before you attempt to tackle anything complex.

Anecdotal but most of people I've known who have been life-long readers learned to love books as children, so they have a bit of a head-start on you.
>>
>>9097345
Would the Lord of the Rings be a good idea? I got the Brothers Karamasov a bit ago and Notes from Underground was a book I really enjoyed, should I put that off for the time being so I can appreciate it later?

Thanks for the response by the way!
>>
>>9097185
Read at least 300 pages worth of good books a month. Fiction or non-fiction, so long as its high quality.
>>
>>9097359
LoTR could work, sure, if you like word-heavy adventure stories. Wouldn't qualify LoTR as light at all though. Have you tried reading anything light? (Judging from what you've posted, the closest you've come has been Catch-22.) I agree with >>9097364
but give yourself room to breathe. Try picking up a copy of 1984, or Slaughterhouse-Five, or even something by Stieg Larsson; but please do not dive into DFW blindly because you will hate it and never want to pick up another book again.

Also casual reminder the media you consume is not who you are
>>
>>9097235
>>9097185
>like flagellation, incest, and STDs
you're going to be fine anon.
>non-fictional
get yourself sex and punishment by berkowitz. infinite jest probably won't be at all good for you, and might taint you with this board's hivemind.

that eye movement shit sounds aspie and unnecessary as fuck. you might also like the third policeman. if you've read the táin bó cúailnge, you might also like at swim two birds.
>>
>>9097438
I'll make sure to get Slaughterhouse-Five as well then, that books been tempting for a long time and doesn't look too long.

>>9097492
I read before about speed reading and how to minimize eye movements, I wasn't sure if there was a set way to improve concentration when reading a book, sorry if it sounds kinda silly. I've never hears of tain bo cualinge, though I'll give it a look.

What do people mean by the whole "encyclopedic novel" thing of Infinite Jest by the way? I don't plan on reading it now in the foreseeable future, though do you have to read 100's of pages of background information or lore to understand it?
>>
>>9097505
you don't need to speed read to get /lit/. using a pointer or ruler to control pace can help, but it's really not necessary.

>encyclopedic novel
they mean that it's mostly dfw trying to demonstrate his education. you don't have to read shit to understand it, because more of it relies on the person reading it being impressed by basic middle class education.

get the kinsella translation of the tain. it's sort of like the iliad if the iliad was about cattle rustling instead of women stealing and had more jokes.
and a heads up: slaughterhouse 5 is a good book but vonnegut has better ones which fit your interests more closely, so if it doesn't go down well don't give up on him

last warning: a lot of this post will make you very unpopular here. which is good because fuck /lit/, read books instead.
>>
>>9097554
Thanks a ton for the advice, I'll try using a pen with my kindle and I'll make sure to read those books (DFW being out of the question).
>>
>>9097235
Indian and Japanese authors on a British lit chat? Top kek good sir.
>>
>>9097194
This is probably the best example I've ever seen as to why the so called ""redpilled"" are really just troglodytic monkeys with keyboarding skills.
>>
>>9097194
I'm a /pol/ crossposter myself. But you need to kys.
>>
>>9099445
This is one of thousands of examples of leftypol being autistic retards who can't tell a clear joke from sincerity
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.