[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I get sick of literary books, if I never switch it up.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

It's not that I dislike highbrow literature. If I read three genre fiction books in a row, I'd be begging to be given a meaningful book. The point is, I need variety or I get burnt out.

How do some of you guys only read intellectual books? How can you relax after a long day's work by getting intellectually raped? I get the value of literature that isn't fun, I just don't get how you guys can go without getting a breath of fresh air?

I haven't read an "easy" book in months, and I'm looking forward to being able to switch off my thinking cap. Why do some of you guys not do the same?

Maybe some of you are just intellectually tougher, but surely, at one point the same thoughts as mine crossed your mind.
>>
>>9097023
Your first mistake was getting memed into the "Highbrow=hard work, Lowbrow=easy fun" paradigm by pop culture and marketing.

It's terminal, I'm afraid.
>>
Classic newfag mistake: taking shitposts at face value. "Comfy" threads usually feature easy/relaxing reading. My comfy reading is gonzo journalism and the new yorker.
>>
>>9097050

wot.

i got memed hard fucking hell
>>
>>9097036

Surely this distinction is accurate the majority of the time, though?

Sure, it's wrong sometimes, but what I am saying works as a rule of thumb.
>>
>>9097117
It's as accurate or inaccurate as you want it to be, which is why it's so easy to fall for.
>>
I haven't read genre fiction ever in my life so it's easy. Just force yourself to stop, sell all of your genre fiction, and never pick up genre fiction ever again. Your brain is releasing dolphins that are kinda like being a homosexual, which is happiness, or something like that. Cutting off your supply is the best way to break an addiction. The cold sweats are normal, but they go away eventually.
>>
>>9097163
Oh, and read the Wikipedia article on "A Reader's Manifesto," especially the recommended books. As Tony says, they're great for entryfags.
>>
>>9097023
take up mathematics
>>
>>9097199
what does maths have to do with the current topic ?
>>
>>9097023
There's nothing wrong with that
I don't read exorbitant amounts so if im gonna read I want to get the most out of it, but if reading if your primary form of entertainment I would expect you'd have to throw some genre fic in
>>
>>9097023
I just don't enjoy fictional works that aren't "literature". That's all there is to it.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.