[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Objectivism the philosophical opposite of Utilitarianism?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

Is Objectivism the philosophical opposite of Utilitarianism?
>>
>>9096060
Redpillism is the only thing you need
>>
>>9096060

>Solipsism is a reasonable philosophy
>if you're solipsist you're sure only of your consciousness
>therefore if you believe in solipsism objectivism is a synonim for utilitarianism

Problem solved
>>
>>9096071
Surely by that logic you could say solipsism is the opposite of any school of thought, and every philosophy is interchangeable?
>>
not really, altruism is the opposite of objectivism, no? though at the same time, it truly isn't, can an ethical theory really be the opposite of another...

the opposite of utilitarianism would be some sort of deontological ethics, surely

or you could just say that lmao dude nihilism is the opposite of all ethics
>>
>>9096094
Through solipsism you can be sure only of your well-being, and Objectivism bring you to act only on your self-interest. Since your consciousness could be the totality of this universe you're being utilitarian.
>>
>>9096146
>Since your consciousness could be the totality of this universe you're being utilitarian.
"could be", but I'm pretty sure a proper utilitarian would put more effort into trying to figure out what is most likely good for the totality of this universe.

an objectivist really wouldn't have to care about possibly hurting others in the process, but a "solipsist utilitarian" would at least avoid hurting others - it isn't "no one besides me exists", just "I am the only one I can know for sure to exist". wouldn't that lead to a prioritization of the self, but all the while avoiding causing damage to others
>>
>>9096175

>but a "solipsist utilitarian" would at least avoid hurting others
That's an arbitrary assumption. To be a solipsist is a choice, and since we're talking here about actual beliefs an actual solipsist would live his life as if he was the only consciousness in existence.

A sceptic solipsist would act as you've told us, but a committed solipsist (a real psycho) is being both utilitarian and objectivist.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.