[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

too slow to read

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: monster-33.jpg (54KB, 400x406px) Image search: [Google]
monster-33.jpg
54KB, 400x406px
hi guys, i would like to get into reading but i am just too slow

i tried reading europe by davies but almost none of the torrent of information stuck and i gave up after exerting a considerable amount of effort and only getting through the greeks chapter in 2 inconsistent months of work on it

i tried reading margin of safety by klarman (how hard could it be/?? its like 200 short pages long) and only got partway thru the first 2 chapters

i think i am conditioned to hate reading, every time i sit down with a book i start feeling very tired and cant keep focus. it takes me forever and i am constantly counting how many pages i have until the end of the section

i think it is because im conditioned to want instant gratification/constant stimulation by new media like internet and youtube videos

what do i do

should i commit sudoku
>>
Meditate for half an hour each day

Spend your time on something productive or personally rewarding, doesn't have to be books. It could even be video games so long as you are consciously engaging with them instead of just passively trotting along.

And read shit you want to read. Not shit you want to HAVE read, but shit you actually want to sit down and read about. If you have no personal interest in the material it becomes a total chore.

Out of curiosity, what does your average day look like?
>>
stop masturbating
>>
Just stick with the internet and TV
>>
>>9094616
i am getting a phd in communication and information theory and the only things i actually want to read are stemshit and math textbooks

weightlift 3 days a week, try to stay focused enough to do scholarly duties the rest of the day,

when goofing off i veg out on league of legends (i am abysmal, not good enough to play ranked even), attempt to practice classical guitar although i have no instructor so it is slow going
>>
try reading with an audio book in the background
>>
File: 1485932928432.png (154KB, 320x301px) Image search: [Google]
1485932928432.png
154KB, 320x301px
>>9094616
only knowing math and stemshit gives severe you autism
>>
>>9094628
>the only things i actually want to read are stemshit and math textbooks
So read those. What's the problem?
>>
jack off after a chapter.(gratification)((only fap for reading))Them you gonna star to lov it
it works forme!
>>
File: 1485935680816.gif (405KB, 214x317px) Image search: [Google]
1485935680816.gif
405KB, 214x317px
>>9094636
because >>9094635
>>
>>9094609
>i think it is because im conditioned to want instant gratification/constant stimulation by new media like internet and youtube videos

This will be the greatest problem of the 21st century. Bc everybody I know functions like that.
>>
>>9094617
>
>>
File: 1465376411615.png (179KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
1465376411615.png
179KB, 1280x800px
>>
>>9094609
You don't have to read necessairly novels or essays, arguably the worst kind of literature.. You can read short poems and be satisfied but even more enriched with less pages
>>
>>9094639
Sounds like you don't want to only read stemshit and math then.
What do you want to learn more about, exactly?
Do you have a social life? Getting yourself out there should really be your top priority if you don't.
>>
Start with easy books, something in vain of Tolkien or GRRM. They're good for starting your /lit/ odyssey.
>>
You are too used to getting information and pleasure instantly with no effort.

Stop watching TV, stop going on Reddit or tumblr or Facebook, stop eating microwaved food, stop jacking off, pick up a hobby, meditate, get a job.

You don't have to do all of the above but at least do some of them. Your problem is that you have no attention span.
>>
File: wWK0QD6 (1).jpg (160KB, 843x696px) Image search: [Google]
wWK0QD6 (1).jpg
160KB, 843x696px
>>9095843
ok im no literary expert but i know i dont need to go through that garbage

maybe it used to be good but in the context of modern culture it's impossible to be taken seriously

>>9095874
accurate
>>
>>9094609
Choosing a book to read is hard work and you need to invest some time to researching.
As well, there are many useless, boring snobs writing books and you need to be aware of this. Anyone can write a book, but quality books that communicate plainly and are worth reading are rare.
>>
>>9096227
>ok im no literary expert but i know i dont need to go through that garbage
Are you calling LOTR garbage?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.