[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is learning a second language to a high level of proficiency

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 1457160124021s.jpg (2KB, 93x125px) Image search: [Google]
1457160124021s.jpg
2KB, 93x125px
Is learning a second language to a high level of proficiency worth it? And by that, I mean, of course, are there significant enough differences between original texts and translated texts to warrant learning other languages (of course it depends on the language). I've spent some time learning Arabic, German, and French to intermediate proficiences, but I can't see myself pouring thousands of more hours in to reach the advanced stages in these languages, particularly Arabic, if the pay-off is not real, and I of course, at my current level of proficiency, am not in the position to be a judge.

So, people with a high proficiency in a foreign language, are translations shit? I don't really care about learning a language to talk to people or listen to television shows or anything, so literature is the only redeeming point for me, that and it is fun, but it being fun alone cannot justify it, I think.

Is learning a foreign language worth it?If not, is learning a distant foreign language worth it?
>>
>>9094558
of course it's worth it, list one downside apart from "i don't have enough time"
>>
>>9094558
As a person with four tongues, yes is my answer. Now go my child!
>>
>Wer fremde Sprachen nicht kennt, weiß nichts von seiner eigenen.
>~Goethe
>>
If you're not going to use the language for everyday communication and media, might as well learn a dead one from the meme trinity (attic, latin, sanskrit)
>>
File: 1453423769001.jpg (35KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1453423769001.jpg
35KB, 500x333px
Wanna beat the system? I'ma bout to reveal my power levels so step the fuck back.

Ok, I don't know about your country but in Germany we have a great sortiment of bilingual books. So I simply read French, Russian, Latin classics in the original with German side by side. Learn the grammar and then it's passive learning. No time, no effort. Didn't even have try to understand a whole lot at any point and still ended up having high proficiency in all of them.
>mfw

So there you go young one. Pattern recognition. You have been enlightened.

(Ok ok, there's one downside: speech proficiency suffers, but who cares about that shit lmao)
>>
>>9094558
>are translations shit?
Some are. I can't read the translation of Moby Dick since it's so shit compared to the original (though I can't read the original either, it's too painful with my english level)
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.