[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you read in total silence, with white noise, or with music?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

Do you read in total silence, with white noise, or with music?
>>
>>9093749
If we're talking about when I specifically set aside some time to read, silence. But I tend to read as much as possible throughout the day, and that means I'm often bombarded by sound while sneaking in a few pages.
>>
I can't read poetry and listen to music because I recite most poetry. If it is non-fiction (the majority of what I read) music, especially music not in English, is fine. Helpful, even. When I mean non-fiction, I mean unflavoured prose. Flavoured prose is a middle-ground and depends on its density.
>>
>>9093749
Other than the sound of my dog licking and grunting and circling his bed, mostly silence.
>>
From my front porch it's a mere 100 steps across the sand to the water, so on most days I can hear the waves lapping against the shore. Sometimes I'll put on a record, but I rarely get up to change it once it's played itself out. If I do, it means I'm not enjoying the book I'm reading.
>>
>>9093749
ambient
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKbPf1ugtfQ
>>
>>9093749
I read while feeding crows in the backyard. Crafty buggers know the bread is hard, so they dip it in water before eating
>>
>>9093749
Ambient sounds of a forest here, I've rigged up a hammock in a nearby nature reserve and it's far enough from civilisation that I cant here any cars/see people, but close enough to carry a cup of tea. The birds are nice
>>
>>9094065
:D
cozy
>>
>>9094044
That sounds like a nice setup. I like the cackling of crows.
>>9093810
>>9094065
Making me quite envious.
>>
File: Sun through the towers.png (491KB, 900x1154px) Image search: [Google]
Sun through the towers.png
491KB, 900x1154px
>>9094214
>Making me quite envious.

I'm quite sure that if you were able to describe some aspect of your life in enough detail, I'd be envious
>>
File: 1438318341514.jpg (24KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1438318341514.jpg
24KB, 400x400px
>>9093801
>>
>those elevators

WHY WASN'T THE WHOLE TOWER MADE SO SOLID

FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
>>
>>9094570

How large is the average desk?
>>
>>9093749
with my dick out, skewing lukewarm Man yoghurt on the tiles
>>
I have severe tinnitus so I just lie and stare at the ceiling after about twenty minutes of reading
>>
File: WP_20151230_017.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151230_017.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
>>9094570
I love reading outdoors. Yesterday I found a nice spot by the oil lake--that's right, there's a huge pond of oil residue near where I live, by the old refinery, on the outskirts of the city. It's as big as a football field and this is the smallest of three. Do you have a lake of oil sludge where you live? Ha! Thought so. If this doesn't make your heart shrivel in the pangs of jealousy, I don't know what will.

Seriously, I don't think you can see one of these in the whole civilised Western world, really.
>>
Anime soundtracks in the background
>>
White noise, I have my fan on in the corner set to pull air in so it doesn't make me cold. Although sometimes I can get bits of music stuck in my head that repeat over and over in my head while I'm trying to concentrate and read, so I might try listening to quiet music to combat it. Anyone else have music snippets playing in their head over and over? It's usually one of the last catchy things I listened to.
>>
non-whispered ASMR
>>
>>9093984
This is nice, thank you
>>
>>9093749
I can't do ANYTHING without white noise running in the background. I'm terrified of dealing with myself.
>>
>>9093749
I read to the sound of my own subvocalization.
>>
File: pulse-demon.jpg (287KB, 600x597px) Image search: [Google]
pulse-demon.jpg
287KB, 600x597px
>>9093749
If there are people having conversations nearby I put in earplugs and play Merzbow through headphones.
>>
>>9095229
I strongly dislike you and your pretentious appreciation of waste choking nature
>>
>>9093749
Generally total silence, or classical music.
>>
I recently found out I actually quite enjoy a combo of pink plus brown noise. It sounds like white noise but apaz helps you concentrate for a science reason. Got into it to block out serious disturbing noises and then started to find myself using it even when there were no distractions. Feels a bit like your cocooned in with the book
>>
Howler monkey sounds CD
>>
>>9093749
Total silence is my preferred method.
>>
silence is preferable but a steady amount of noise is acceptable. talking that I can hear too well is really distracting, other noises usually aren't. I may be able to read in the train station just fine but if my roommate is like, talking to someone, I may get distracted.

however I use brown noise if there are distracting noises around. so sometimes in the bus, always if there are other people close by having a chat.
>>
Classical music with earphones because I live in a fucking dorm where retards wreak havoc 24 7 thinking they gained their freedom from their idiot parents.
>>
>>9093749
If you don't read in silence then you're a baby that has no discipline
>>
>>9095229
Outdoor reading is precarious though. So many factors that could ruin your reading.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.