[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Modern /Lit/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 1474057270963.jpg (311KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1474057270963.jpg
311KB, 1280x1280px
Where do I start with modernity? I've read the greeks and most of the romans, just started some medieval theology/philosophy, but now I'd like to read some more modern works. Is it necessary to thoroughly read medieval/renaissance lit before getting into stuff from the age of enlightenment to the last century?

I want to start reading more modern philosophy like Kant, German Idealism, Marx, Darwin; some good novels, I've read Moby Dick which I really enjoyed but that's pretty much it; maybe some history, depending on how well they hold up or if they're really essential like Gibbon. I really want to understand the spirit of the age and it's connection with the periods that preceded it and it's influence today. Thanks
>>
>>9091808
Yeah, no. You're either an idiot or you're baiting (my bet's on baiting). If you really hated modernity you would (or you should) read as much about it as you could get your hands on, then you could actually form your own arguments and not parrot off /pol/.
>>
>Where do I start with modernity ?

It ain't fun, but you start with Descartes. If you get bored, read his letters to princess Elisabeth, it's less tedious than his more famous works (and also it's the last stage of his thought).
Discourse on the method (skip part V) -> best way to enter modernity.
>>
Descartes is fucking boring as hell but might aswell start there. Kant is the basis for everything that came after, getting into him properly will take you at least like a year though.
>>
>>9092272
>>9092359
I've already discourse on the method and meditations on first philosophy, which I actually really enjoyed. Should I go onto Spinoza and Leibniz, or can I move right to Kant?
>>
>>9092377
*already read
>>
>>9092377
oh alright. Leibniz is just an improvement of Descartes, with more logic and less "intuition". Basically, in Descartes, God > logic, whereas Leibniz would say logic > God. So you can skip him, as well as Spinoza (many people wouldn't agree about Spinoza but he's still basically and example of classic rationalism like Descartes). GL with Kant.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.