[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I read the bible without finding it awfully boring?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1475559144032.gif (890KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1475559144032.gif
890KB, 400x225px
How do I read the bible without finding it awfully boring?
>>
By noting how many times you've been retold the stories contained in Genesis, Exodus, and more
>>
Do what you're suppose to do. Imagine it as a science fiction YA novel with no redeemable characteristics. It's more of a guilty pleasure then anything else.
>>
>>9090722
Read the parts you don't know about. Then read the parts you thought you knew.
>>
>>9090722
What you do is you open the pages and you move your eyes across the words that are printed on the pages.

And if you find that boring then you're a fucking pleb and you cannot be redeemed for no matter how many shekels.
>>
I've been raised a Catholic, with all my education being in Catholic schools. Yet I have never read the Bible. Is the best way just to read it from cover to cover, or are some books more fundamental?
>>
>>9090722
You go to church and have somebody read it to you, then you sing verses based on Psalms then you drink wine and go home. Every day. If you go to a Catholic Church in 4 years you'll have gone through the whole thing.
>>
>Eat a big meal, fill a large water bottle, find a desk and get comfy
>Optional: ingest 20mg amphetamine salts
>Don noise cancelling headphones and queue Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier (I prefer D. Barenboim's piano recording)
>Read Bible
>(If you can't read Greek or Hebrew get the Oxford Annotated version)
>Turn your ear to wisdom and apply your heart to understanding and the word will come alive within you
>>
>>9090722
Think of all the people who believe it.
>>
>>9090722
If you find the Gospels (the greatest drama ever told) boring you need to give up on life right now.
>>
>>9091169
You have to let go of that idea—the idea of reading books because they're "fundamental".

Do you think Bloom read because he wanted to have read? No! He read because he wanted to read.

So read the Bible cover to cover, because it is a Good Book, and one you will enjoy.
>>9091230
Amphs don't actually help at all.

t. faggot with ADHD
>>
>>9090722
you don't. It's a meme
>>
read the yeezus bible
>>
>>9092838
It depends on what perspective you're reading it from. Since so much of Western literature is influenced by the Bible, it can be worthwhile to flick through it to see how many of your favorite books are based off plots in the Bible.
In some translations, the prose is very nice. Particularly the Book of Job.
And some sections are just damned fun to read. You tell me the Book of Revelation isn't a roller coaster ride from start to finish.
>>
>>9091230
There is something fundamentally wrong with ingesting bath salts and reading The Holy Bible, sorry.

Also, reading isn't always for pleasure. There are intellectual giants out there who treat reading for what it is: an exercise. And much like physical exercise, this requires rigorous attention and practice.

I read non-fiction every day. Informative works, things that make you contemplate the universe. It is dry, but it is so much more rewarding to say I read something relating to real life than some of these faggots on here who read fiction all day.
>>
>>9090722

There are fascinating parts that the Bible narrates and/or describes, such as the beginning and mishaps of the Hebrews (from the very beginning to the destruction of Jerusalem (the books os Ruth and Esther and really interesting)), the acts and the trial and execution of Jesus and his resurrection, the book of Acts, and the descriptions of the prophets' lives or visions (such as Jonah, Jeremiah, Isaiah, Daniel, Ezekiel, John). Also, the part that is contained between the books of Job to Ecclesiastes are so poetic and full of wisdom that missing them is such a pity.
The letters from Paul, Peter, James, Jude and John are not that easy to follow, in my opinion, since those are opinions and instructions, but can be rewarding.

I have the following advice for reading the Bible: skip the boring parts, which surprisingly aren't that hard to spot, such as genealogies or boring descriptions of uninsteresting stuff. They are repetitive and kind of burocratic within their context.
>>
File: 1482552625741.png (437KB, 738x720px) Image search: [Google]
1482552625741.png
437KB, 738x720px
>>9090722
Sometimes I wish JRR Tolkien rewrote the Bible. His Silmarillion was an absolute joy to read and he really knows and appreciates epic prose.
>>
Stop indulging in any overstimulating media completely. After a few years, you will think it's a wild and crazy adventure packed with miracles and other amazing shit.
>>
>>9094130
Well the bible would be better if it had more mythology and worldbuilding and less holier-than-thou aesops
>>
Coluracetam or weed both make reading anything more interesting and less boring.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.