[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What books are you reading and what do you think so far?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: 1486714835909.jpg (71KB, 660x450px) Image search: [Google]
1486714835909.jpg
71KB, 660x450px
What books are you reading and what do you think so far?
>>
>>9088788
The orchard keeper, my first McCarthy. It's very dense, fractured and every page there's at least 2 words i need to look up. I'm kinda enjoying it in an almost masochistic way, it's a tough read.
>>
>>9088804
I recommend Suttree next. It's McCarthy's best work.
>>
>>9088818
I was thinking of going chronologically, Suttree is like his 4th or 5th right? But yeah i heard that's his best along with Blood Meridian. Are they "harder" than The Orchard Keeper? Because that'd kill me.
>>
>>9088788
Ilias.
It's epic. Name me better book capturing war between gods and people.
>>
>>9088837
I haven't read The Orchard Keeper, maybe someone else can correct me on this, but Suttree is one of his most easy to read and enjoyable books. Truly a contrast to the complexity of Blood Meridian.
>>
>>9088845
My Diary
>>
>>
>>9088845
Book of Job
>>
>>9088875
nah
>>
>>9088888
ok
>>
File: newsun.jpg (106KB, 910x525px) Image search: [Google]
newsun.jpg
106KB, 910x525px
The Sword of the Lictor, it's badass. I'm really enjoying BoTNS and I think I'm gonna read more of Wolfe's works when I'm done with it.
>>
>>9088936
Read the western canon
>>
>>9088852
Is it good?
>>
>>9088788
Ulysses
Best book I ever read, seriously. Read Dubliners and Portrait before it and I fucking love Joyce
>>
>>9089109
Joyce is one of the all-time greats, certainly.
>>
>>9088847
good post
>>
I'm reading Mine by Peter Sotos. Him, William Bennett, and the others, make up what I believe to be the most important philosophical art movement of the epoch.

Sotos tackles the same ideas as McLuhan and the others of his stripe do, only he developed the ideas independently and through a deeply personal lens. It's important stuff.
>>
File: 1485572894350.jpg (2MB, 2560x1794px) Image search: [Google]
1485572894350.jpg
2MB, 2560x1794px
>>9088788
Growth of the Soil. It's comfy af so far, I'm a little scared that something bad is gonna happen to Isak tho. He a good boy.
>>
>>9088788
"El infinito es sólo una forma de hablar" by Horacio Verzi, probably one of the finest works in Spanish of the XXI century I've read.
>>
>>9089409
Is it your favorite book by Hamsun so far?
>>
File: Denialofdeathcover.jpg (17KB, 200x304px) Image search: [Google]
Denialofdeathcover.jpg
17KB, 200x304px
>>9088788
starting this

#scared
>>
I'm reading All the King's Men for class, and it's becoming a favorite of mine. I'm reading Into the Wild for my book club and it's a good escape from heavier lit and school stuff. I originally thought that I'd hate it but it's not too bad. I'm also reading Catcher in the Rye for the first time because my lit teacher recommended it to me and said she'd discuss it with me, another lit teacher, and my former lang teacher. I just started it and the language is pretty simple but I'm intrigued.
>>
>>9089461
I actually started with it, was that a bad move? I want to read Hunger and On Overgrown Paths though.
>>
>>9089475
I'm interested in reading this too.
>>
Apollonius - On Conics
John Maynard Keynes - The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money
>>
>>9089561
Also, my thoughts are that Apollonius is a fucking genius and so is Keynes. Keynes theories are extremely well developed, and inherently do NOT involve government intervention unless in the state of a crisis so I am ok with this.
>>
>>9089475
by the end it's comforting. hang in there
>>
>>9089625
thanks for the encouraging words
>>
I started A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man a couple days ago and and loving it

I was reading Hamlet prior and kind of stopped reading as much, but I think this book will get me back in the swing of things
>>
>>9088788
Just finished Hard to be a God - Arkady and Boris Strugatsky.

I didn't really like the first couple chapters and feared the whole book was going to be slow and mundane like that but it definitely picked up and became very interesting. This book / Roadside Picnic by the same guys are both great reads.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.