[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

shakespeare: as you like it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: boy.jpg (2MB, 1779x2190px) Image search: [Google]
boy.jpg
2MB, 1779x2190px
went to as you like it last night. if you live in dc - it was pretty decent.

anyways, there's a character named touchstone who says this:

>Upon a lie seven times removed.—Bear your body more seeming, Audrey.—As thus, sir: I did dislike the cut of a certain courtier’s beard. He sent me word if I said his beard was not cut well, he was in the mind it was. This is called “the retort courteous.” If I sent him word again it was not well cut, he would send me word he cut it to please himself. This is called “the quip modest.” If again it was not well cut, he disabled my judgment. This is called “the reply churlish.” If again it was not well cut, he would answer I spake not true. This is called “the reproof valiant.” If again it was not well cut, he would say I lie. This is called “the countercheck quarrelsome,” and so to “the lie circumstantial” and “the lie direct.”

can anyone break this down for me? don't get it.
>>
>goes to see a play he doesn't understand
>still calls it decent
>>
>>9087952
it's one line of dialogue you faggot
>>
>>9087962
You are still an idiot.
>>
>>9087962
and I'm supposed to believe you somehow magically understood everything else, but you just couldn't manage to crack this nut? mate, come on
>>
>>9087976
>caring about being smart
>>
>>9087992
yeah, it's not like being smart helps when you want to, oh i don't know, understand the meaning of stuff and things and shit
>>
>>9087992
>caring about understanding a line of Shakespeare

Yep, still an idiot.

Listen man, instead of embarassing yourself, just go to the No Fear Shakespeare for As You Like It, look up that dialogue and have it explained for you. It's not that hard, there is no shame in it, and you save us and yourself the trouble of watching your incompetence.
>>
>>9088024
okay
>>
>>9087952
>rational grasp
>as the upmost aesthetic category
kys
>>
>>9088291
lel
>>
>>9087930
le muh art and aesthetics are subjective maimme
>>
>>9087930
touch·stone/ˈtəCHˌstōn/
noun
a piece of fine-grained dark schist or jasper formerly used for testing alloys of gold by observing the color of the mark that they made on it.

As a metaphor, a touchstone refers to any physical or intellectual measure by which the validity or merit of a concept can be tested. It is similar in use to an acid test, litmus test in politics

If this helps at all
>>
Touchstone is saying, jesting with, all physical vanity is noaught. He does this again by using his metaphor of the court and courtier's strange behaviours and appeasements. He is simply explaining to the simple audrey, in reversal, that vanity only exists through the reembursement of others, and thus the courtier ever removes any obstacle to his, to him unquestionable, own beauty, feigning a ratio over it to possess. Thus, the pun is th' clue, and basically just 'i'm ugly? No, cuz' 'that's like, just your opinion, man'', spread into an, itself, ugly, nonsensical syllogism.
#touchstonaudreyandthecourtiersbeard.
>>
>>9091268

It is also in reference to the seven masters of the gnostic eden, whom lie to eve, a comical reverseall
>>
>>9091282
And It also means that aemelia bossano 'shakespeare' lanier directly saw that eve was narcissus
>>
>>9091268
I saw it as:

Touchstone: I think/know/dislike the cut of certain courtiers beard

Certain Courtier: I think/know/like the cut

T: You are wrong

CC: No you are wrong

And then it is just Touchstone, saying different humorous names (like, scientific, philosophical, Official Terms), saying that, each time Touchstone would tell CC his beard was cut bad, CC would get 'less and less courteous, more and more offended and bothered' to eventually calling Touchstone a flat out liar, implying CC knows his beard is cut well, Touchstone (might know it is cut well, but is saying it is not... but CC knows it is... so Touchstone must be a liar to say its not)
>>
>>9091914
It's both things, since it's both theatre and book. I just responded to the philosophical and theological implication, and took seeing that which thee notes, widely, as a given, seeing as context.
>>
>>9092365
Also, that would link little back to audrey, who, obviously, touchstone is trying to turn her whiley'.
>>
>>9092960
I have to add that it is a belief i hold to, that the authorship belongs to aemelia lanier. This is the cause of said jokes on men attemptturning women letches, as it also stands in 'taming of the shrew', among the countless.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.