[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Elric in America

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 9dhznJ0.jpg.png (225KB, 261x499px) Image search: [Google]
9dhznJ0.jpg.png
225KB, 261x499px
How is it possible that the Elric of Melnibone series always seems to be out of print? I've been trying my damnedest to find ebook versions of the core series and no copies for sale seem to exist on any site that sells to the US.

I eventually gave up on the ebooks and started looking for physical copies, and those are fucking out of print in America too.

My local bookstores don't have them, and the used copies on Amazon (the only ones available) are going for stupidly inflated prices.

I thought this shit was supposed to be extremely popular and influential, like directly inspired The Witcher and SOIAF series levels of influential yet you can't buy them anywhere.
>>
I have them. They *are* enormously influential but they're also terrible. Moorcock's prose style is tedious. Same as Lovecraft; great ideas but bad writing.
>>
Also, Moorcock is still alive and famously a prick about his intellectual property so probably isn't very helpful when people come to him asking to reprint them.
>>
File: manningface.jpg (35KB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
manningface.jpg
35KB, 1000x1333px
>>9087510
I managed to read a portion of the first one and it's actually because of the writing style that I'm trying to seek the rest of the series out. I usually hate fantasy because the prose always ends up making me feel like I'm wasting my time.

> The Fellowship of the Ring - got right around the part where Frodo moves out of Bag End and to a new smaller house (1/3 of the way in and the book hasn't even fucking started yet) and thought to myself "jesus christ, is the whole book like this?" and never picked it back up.

> The Dark Tower Series - got all the way through to the end of the last book (through awkward dialog, bad story decisions and the completely out of place 4th wall breaking) and the final 100 pages ruined the whole damn thing.

> A Game of Thrones - got halfway through and thought "they're still on the fucking King's Road?" and dropped it like a rock.

From what I read of the first Elric book, Moorcock's style is the polar opposite of Tolkien and Martin - no pointless extra bullshit, no devoting pages and pages and pages to shit irrelevant to the plot, just stripped down and fun to read. The guy that turned me on to the series says this is because the series started as pulp paperbacks.

>>9087517
Yeah, from my searching it looks like this problem has existed for as long as internet forums have existed.
>>
>>9087599
I find it plain and boring but if you enjoy that then it's understandable.
I think it's a lot easier to find digital copies than searching through second-hand bookshops.
>>
>>9087599
Wow, you are a gigapleb.
>>
>>9087647
no u
>>
>>9087517

Moorcock threw a hissy fit on his forums about the Witcher because muh albino warrior.

If you want to see bad prose though read Corum. The part with the whispering lake or whatever made me stop reading the books for like a month. It's sad cause I actually liked the early part of it, it felt like he cared less and less as it went on.

The ending was pretty dope though.
>>
>>9087599
You're a fuckin pleb son, go watch tv
>>
>>9087687
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72LKjGErD9o
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.