[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A treatise on the lonely soul in the most obscure, yet public

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: pygmalion and galatea.jpg (89KB, 534x676px) Image search: [Google]
pygmalion and galatea.jpg
89KB, 534x676px
I want to write a small book on the topic mentioned above. That is, a book meant to give hope and desire (for freedom and self-ownership, among other things) to all the lonely people of the internet. Working title is "Pygmalion, Nemesis, and (You)" and will essentially be a culmination of everything I've learned from philosophy thus far, with some heavy allusions and examples lent from Ovid's Metamorphoses.

Basically, I feel that lots of people online have been channeling a desire to be loved into negative functions, due to a variety of factors. They are giving themselves up to ideas, communities and desires which suppress their unique being. They fight for their own domination and destruction, and at the end of the day, are still left with the empty loneliness they started out with.

What do you think about this? Any recommendations for things that might be helpful?

For references, this is also something of a political project, but one I hope will be beyond right and left partisanship, I'm already drawing on the work of Stirner, Foucault, Machiavelli, Eric Fromm, Deleuze, Hobbes, Rousseau, Wollstencraft, Burke, Mill, Slavoj Zizek, Nietzsche, Richard Wolff/Althusser, Robespierre, Alec Nove, and De Beauvoir.
>>
Intent seems okay. Won't give you any feedback until I have good old execution to point fingers at.
>>
>>9080614
None of this matters unless you write it. Don't ask for our permission. Write it.
>>
>>9080650
>>9080648
yeah, I'm already working on it
>>
Sounds alright except it doesn't seem like anything new.Unless you can make a connection with another philosophy that hasn't been done before or make it easier to understand I don't see the point.

Just for the record what are your main points?
>>
File: 461.jpg (52KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
461.jpg
52KB, 540x405px
>>9080706
I'm looking at loneliness, or rather the desire for love, as both a personal and political problem. That is, we see many political and individual phenomena caused by this desire, but never dealing with it directly. Identity politics on both the right and the left, as well as misanthropic, negatively nihilistic behavior.

No, I won't be saying too many new things, just combining different strains of thought together. For example, uniting the war model of society with over-determinism, connecting this to using the death of Christ in the bible as a way to come to terms with the material/real world and taking a non-theological look at pagan mythology as a further metaphor for a warlike world without a God on earth (although perhaps in heaven). It was Eric Fromm who originally came up with the idea for the desire for love resulting in such phenomena as nationalism, and I plan to show specifically how this manifests, not only in an abstract way, but in specific ways through the example of the Pygmalion and Narcissus fantasies and their modern equivalents. From those fantasies I can extrapolate a political program, as well as personal ethics which the lonely masses might find appealing, specifically through the populist politicization of technology and a sense of self-ownership and creative nihilism. Somewhere in there, there will also be an reexamination of the traditional understanding of political scapegoats, and a critique based around the narcissus fantasy and the role of Nemesis and ressentiment. The book would end with a final warning and critique of representation, both political representation and all other forms, telling the readers not to allow the fantasies used to examine the world in the book to confine their own desires, the same going for popular culture, subcultures, psychology, ect.

There will probably be a lot more, but this is just what I've got so far.
>>
>>9080614
>with some heavy allusions and examples lent from Ovid's Metamorphoses.
Yes, but why? What does the device serve?
>>
>>9080840
Do you you really think that the lack of love or feeling love/ed manifest those behaviors?
Could it be that loneliness is also a result of some larger issue that also manifests in this behaviors?
>>
>>9080853
I partly address this here
>>9080840
But essential, greek and roman myth in of themselves do a great job as a metaphor for many of the things I'm talking about, most specifically, the Pygmalion and Narcissus stories.
>>
>>9080840
It's been done, it's all been done
If you're a good writer you'll succeed, if not your book will be incomprehensible garbage no one but you will ever know understand
>>
>>9080926
I think that they can cause that behavior, even if many other things can effect such things. The reason I single out loneliness is because that's the biggest common thread between people in modernity, dwelling in the depths of the inter-webs and similar places.

As for the cause, there are many causes: economics, technology, explosive historical events, culture, ect. The point is that it exists, and can further act back upon its causes.
>>
>>9080986
Yes, everything worth saying has been said before. I just think there's an important moment here, in history, where this issue needs to be addressed.

I have also written a novel before with some positive results, so hopefully I can translate that into something effective here.
>>
>>9080995
>that's the biggest common thread between people in modernity, dwelling in the depths of the inter web and similar places
>as for the cause ther are many... the point is that it exist and can further act back upon its causes
Interesting ideas but I can't help but feel it's ignoring the "true cause" of grief and strife. I think that loneliness also a symptom like grief.
The true cause I think is the lack of logic in a persons life.

I'm going to assume by loneliness you mean feeling that nobody cares about you rather then the lack of a significant other.
If a person spends all day in self indulgent activities (like spending all day online) it's not those activies that are to blame but not being able to manage priorities or lacking any.
It seems silly to blame an activity when the problem is someone committing it habitually.

Let me use myself as an example. I'm trying to quit smoking weed because I'm genuinely addicted. I have a terrible relationship with weed because I've had a terrible reactionship with weed. I smoked it when I woke up, I smoked it before i fell asleep, and I smoked it to get through the day.
Weed itself isn't the problem. It's my terrible relationship with its
My terrible relationship with weed comes from not knowing how to manage my impulses
My lack of impulse control comes from a lack of understanding that smoking weed all day is not in my best interest even if all I seek is pleasure because it will cause me more strife later because seeking constant pleasure is illogical because by the very nature of pleasure means it's impossible to achieve permanently
You see my problem here is not the weed but my illogical thinking in relation to it.
You can see how even though my problem with marijuana adds to my stife it's not the root cause, my illogical behavior is
>>
>>9081115
I completely agree that a big part of this does have to do with a lack of logic and rationality, but I also say there is more than that.

>I'm going to assume by loneliness you mean feeling that nobody cares about you rather then the lack of a significant other.
Yes, that is what I mean. But I intended to break it down even further. Why does a person feel that nobody cares about them? It is because they desire love, why, because they want to be both understood and accepted. So, if they feel that nobody cares about them, it means that either, nobody tries to understand them, those who do try fail, or that they are understood and subsequently rejected.

True, those lonely people on the internet, and other places too, are there because of a set of behaviors, probably habitual, and whatever they're doing probably isn't going to decrease their loneliness because their strategy to deal with it isn't logical. And indeed I hope to present people with some more logical strategies to deal with loneliness, but, as I'm sure you're aware with your addiction, if there was a quick, easy way to get rid of it, most people would have dealt with it already.

That said, being illogical is a facet of many parts of human life, and not all illogical people are lonely. One of my main points is that any given phenomena cannot be simplified down to a single, distinct cause. Instead, we should focus on whichever cause is the most useful to us from a certain standpoint.
>>
Everyone has a good idea for a book.

If this is your first book, it's going to be shit.

If this is your 10th book, it's still going to be shit because it's most likely to end up as your manifesto after years of rejection from publishers only looking to publish fantasy and comfy-lit for the only people in this society self absorbed enough to read

The few geniuses this narcissistic society will produce will be driven neurotic by constant failure and constantly having to mold themselves into a functioning citizen who have to pretend they don't want to blow their brains out at every sober moment.

Their few, financially unsuccessful, self-published flashes of brilliance will only be given recognition years after their death, when some academic pulls a groundhog and gets his head out of his ass just long enough to do some thinking for himself outside this pandering system of circle-jerking any book that remotely resembles the established "literary tradition", that or the dollar finally collapses and the elite start combining private armies to enslave and slaughter the masses, starting a decade-long civil war in which our children will see horrors we only read in Thomas Ligotti stories that they come back from not knowing how to reconcile the constant memory of mercy-killing a sobbing boy with his leg blown off with the daily task of dropping his daughter off at school, sitting in a cubicle drinking decafe coffee, and making small talk, and so he'll be forced to do some home-grown thinking that won't work and will end with his car parked near a lake with a hose running from exhaust to front right window for a half-toothed park ranger to find the next morning. But maybe he'll read one or two of their books, and tell a few people.

Write the book or don't. Nobody will read it or care.
>>
>>9081225
>If this is your 10th book, it's still going to be shit because it's most likely to end up as your manifesto after years of rejection from publishers only looking to publish fantasy and comfy-lit for the only people in this society self absorbed enough to read
Oh no, I was planning on making it public domain as Anon.
>>
>>9081174
Very good points
I agree that a person feels lonely because they feel misunderstood and unaccepted but the question becomes then
Can Someone truely be loved and accepted? If so how is it achieved?
If not then why not?
I would argue that love is an illusion created by our mind to fulfill some greater need
It's no question that humans are social creatures. We recognize the safety in numbers and we know we will be safer if surrounded by those who have your best interest at heart.
We want someone to have our best interest at heart, and isn't this basically what love is? Or at least the idea of love. Someone who has our best interest at heart
here lies the issue for me. Logically I can't assume anyone has my best interest at heart because the nature of my best interest is itself unknown to me. Even if it was knowable if my best interest conflicts with theirs, will they still have my best interest at heart?

Logic again says no one would act against their interest for the sake of someone else if truely understood what their own self interest is.

It seems apparent to me now that the feeling of wanting to be loved is just our minds way of trying to find someone that has our safety,comfort, and betterment as their top priority. No rational person would prioritize someone above themselves to this extent.
We might think we would die for someone we loved but in reality we are projecting onto others the feelings we wish they had for us

This brings me to my final point
>tldr once you realize love an illusion created by the mind for the preservation of the self (which is impossible for we all die) you can let go of the feeling of needing love because it's ultimately pointless and illogical.
>>
>>9081305
Here, I might offer an Egoist critique (in the vain of Stirner's thought).

In terms of my self interest versus others, it is completely within my interest, (as the totality of my being) to be kind to others, make them feel loved, safe and comfortable. For one, they may wish to reciprocate (for it would be an exceptionally irrational person to expect love without giving any in return), and two, it gives me pleasure to do so. This other person is my property, their relationship to me is one of "having", and I might quite like to love my property. Humans are indeed more than logic, though logic is due its respect. After all, what is the point of replacing the tyranny of loneliness with one of pure logic?

>Can Someone truely be loved and accepted? If so how is it achieved?
I think it is possible, exactly because the issue here is not an objective truth, but a subjective one. Another individual cannot grant you love on their own, for it is the act of becoming yourself which is just as essential. For if they love a figment of their imagination that merely bears your image, you are not loved truly. There is no such thing as true love, for sure, but one can love with the character of truth. From the point of view of the one being loved, they must feel that they are understood and accepted to a satisfactory degree, from the point of view of the love giver, the idea of the person they become enamored with must change and align with what they discover in reality about the object of their love.

I bring up the story of pygmalion in part to exactly tackle this problem of feeling truly loved. If you'll recall, Pygmalion rejects the women of the outside world because of their shallowness. He falls in love with the statue not just because she is beautiful, for there are many beautiful people in the ancient myths! But because she was his creation, a reflection of himself that was external to him, a creature that could truly know him.

I claim that the origin of loneliness, at its heart, is born by the act of consciousness, of being. We are incapable of communicating to our fellow man but through intermediaries, and at the same time acutely aware of our otherness from everything else around us. In this way, loneliness will always haunt us, but I believe that it can be abated through a set of strategies and acts we deem as authentic connections between ourselves and others.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.