[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jordan Petersons suggested reading list

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 298
Thread images: 29

File: images-13.jpg (20KB, 470x313px) Image search: [Google]
images-13.jpg
20KB, 470x313px
What does /lit/ think about Jordan Petersons reading list and where should I start?

Crime and Punishment
The Brothers Karamazov
Notes from Underground
The Devils
The Idiot

Tolstoy

Confessions
The Kingdom of God is Within You

Bulgakov

The Master and Margarita

Solzhenitsyn

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch
The Gulag Archipelago

The First Circle

Cancer Ward

Other books of critical importance:

Carl Jung

The Archetypes of the Collective Unconscious
Aion

Symbols of Transformation

Answer to Job

Erich Neumann

The Origins and History of Consciousness
The Great Mother

George Orwell

The Road to Wigan Pier
Animal Farm
Down and Out in Paris and London
Homage to Catalonia

Aldous Huxley

Brave New World
The Doors of Perception

Other Works

The Discovery of the Unconscious (Henri Ellenberger)
The Neuropsychology of Anxiety (Jeffrey Gray)
Affective Neuroscience (Jaak Panksepp)
The Emotional Brain (Joseph LeDoux)
>>
>>9077518
Follow the Western Canon. Start with the Greeks.

http://sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html
>>
>>9077518
They're all important works, but it's a far from exhaustive list. And most of this is stuff you should've already read.
>>
It's a situation of "reading most of it wouldn't be a waste of time per se, but you'd be better off with a different list".
Skip the Solzhenitsyn besides Gulag, the Jung. Neumann, Orwell beyond 1984 and Huxley beyond BNW, the Other Works, and go for WaP, AK and Ivan Ilyich in Tolstoy
>>
Greeks, The.
>>
>>9077525
>skip the works of the greatest genius who ever lived, Carl Gustav Jung

Kill urself my man
>>
Holy Kek since when is Jung considered worthwile again?
I guess it means that meme magic must be real
>>
>>9077934
why isn't he?
>>
>>9077967
Actually there is little wrong with him, just acknowledge that his worth as a psychologist is zero
He can still have value for his ideas. The reason I wrote what I wrote is that suddenly there seems to be more people who think Jung is fantastic and the best there is
>>
>>9077518
>One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch
>The Gulag Archipelago
Literally the Ayn Rand of 'oh look at me, my life is so bad' books.
>>
>>9077974
Oh I see. I first heard of him because of the Jung x Freud feud, but what made me a little curious about him were Jordan Peterson's lectures.
not OP
>>
File: 1480500806940.png (254KB, 363x439px) Image search: [Google]
1480500806940.png
254KB, 363x439px
Debating C.G.J.'s value, in is a thread about Peterson is futile. Considering C.G.J. trash while being interested in Peterson makes little sinse the former is probably his biggest influence and Peterson believes him to be an even greater genius than Freud.
>>
>>9077980
>Literally the Ayn Rand of 'oh look at me, my life is so bad' books.
Literally won a Nobel Prize
>>
>>9077980
It's up there with Frankl's "Man's search for meaning". I mean, wtf jew, how long are you gonna be butthurt about the nazis taking everything from you, killing everyone you love and torturing you for years until you barely resemble a human physically and mentally!
>>
Does anyone find the west side of Sid Smith Hall where he's sitting depressing as fuck?

That whole street feels like a sleepy sidestreet to me, it's between all these ugly old buildings like New College and the giant yellow fucker south of that, ugly Anthro building
>>
>>9077985
Hence I think Peterson is trash, not to mention his speculative evolutionary psychology
But he is profiting from this anyway, he has become - in his words - a Darwinian truth of kinds (not really but I hope the point comes across), the more exposure he gets, the more people will want to read his books or listen to his lectures

He is winning
>>
>>9077518
>where should I start?

The Moral Landscape
>>
>>9077991
So did this.
>>
>>9077974
> just acknowledge that his worth as a psychologist is zero

If you are a mass produced anglo-bot who can only treat patients with cbt and questionnaires, sure, whatever he has to offer is too far outside your expertise to be of any use
>>
File: 936.jpg (7KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
936.jpg
7KB, 200x200px
>>9078024
>>
>>9078052
well at least you admit that he's not in the realm of psychology or science. if you think using fairytales and stories to diagnose your patients is better, go ahead. you can join the lacanians and lingering freudians as well.
>>
Depends, have you read George Orwell?

i'd start with Animal Far, then 1984, then Brave New World by Huxley, then moving on to Homage to Catalonia, ad I'd say you have a good starting point to move on to Tolstoy's Crime and Punishment.
>>
File: b-f-skinner.jpg (59KB, 600x367px) Image search: [Google]
b-f-skinner.jpg
59KB, 600x367px
>>9078065
Good luck trapping your patients in a lifetime of unfulfilling mediocrity after interviewing them with a set of "choose your own adventure" style questionnaires and pacifying them with SSRIs

>you can join the lacanians and lingering freudians as well.

Join the father psychoanalysis if I want to become a psychoanalyst? Lmao, wtf do Anglo-therapists even have as a background? Do you also feed your patients biscuits when they do sth right? lol
>>
>>9078134
>>you can join the lacanians and lingering freudians as well.

oh god the horror. don't even joke like that mang
>>
Another bunch of undergrads, scratch that, psy101 article readers bashing on one of the most influential psychologists of our day.
>>
>>9077984
Jesus fucking Christ you people are disgusting.

How the fuck did you even came to /lit/ without being at least remotely aquainted with Jung's ideas?
>>
>>9078185
It's ironic you should say that considering how much people here shit on Freud because he's a cultural marxist or some other shit, considering he is THE most influential psychanalist of his day.
>>
>>9078218
This
>>
>>9077537
Which book specifically desu?
>>
>>9078245
Iliad, then Odyssey, then Oresteia, finally you're done with the biggest Greek works.
You can follow with the Aeneid or can go through the rest of Aeschylus, Sophocles, Aristophanes, etc
>>
>>9078245
Be aware that to become fully ancient Greek it is absolutely necessary to have non-platonic relationships with adolescent boys
>>
>>9078218
Who's Jung?
>>
File: C1-nVXbXcAAFYNd.jpg (113KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
C1-nVXbXcAAFYNd.jpg
113KB, 1024x1024px
>>9078245
>>9078256
Honestly this is a terrible idea. The books are boring as fuck, you'll drop em after 3 pages and you'll never open a book in your life again. Instead, I suggest start with something that genuinely interests you. Are you troubled about something deeply with in you? pick a psychoanalyst. Are you interested in the constants in the human psyche, what we value throughout time? Pick Jung specifically. Do some of those questions hit a nerve but you would prefer to explore them in the format of a story? Pick Dostoevsky, Hesse etc. In the works of the writers in Peterson's list you'll find a lot of traces and influence from the Greeks anyway and once your interest has been piqued you'll want to trace your way back to them. I think picking up something that answers what bothers you now and tracing the genealogy of that school of thought all the way back to the Greeks is far more engaging that picking up an utterly dry book and reading it in the hope that this will make you cultured one day.
>>
>>9078348
>The Greeks
>Boring
I'm sorry you were born with such terrible taste, anon.
>>
>>9078348
Thats a good advice. Thank you vert much
Here is your (you)
>>
>>9078256
>>9078348
Maybe just give the las or lad some suggestions and leave the decision on what to read to him or her.
>>
>>9078439
If you genuinely find them compelling, cool, more power to you. But 99.9% of young people who have so far read nothing but young adult fiction will find them extremely dry. There is no need to force yourself to start with them, short of being an insufferably pretentious, repressed pseud, when there are books on this list that are read with the urgency of a fire extinguisher instruction manual during a fire.
>>
>>9078439
Like Borges said it is of no use to read a book that you're not interested in. It doesn't do justice to yourself and it doesn't do justice to the book.
>>
Peterson is /ourguy/ by far!
>>
video of jordan peterson talking to hot white nationalist girl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KWXdDYEz10
>>
>>9078906
>hot white nationalist girl

[citation needed]
>>
>>9078917
https://realitycallsshow.com/
>>
>>9078922
>"Pragmatism has lead me toward traditionalism though I don't fit any label precisely and I do change my opinions from time to time as I learn and consider new information and ideas."

Doesn't sound like a "white nationalist" to me, and I doubt Peterson would talk to one.
>>
File: wisdom.png (34KB, 588x265px) Image search: [Google]
wisdom.png
34KB, 588x265px
>>9078940
https://realitycallsshow.com/start-here/
>Why White Identity Matters

He's perfectly aware he's talking to a racist, and he even warns her and her viewers multiple times to avoid falling into the trap of resentful identity politics.
>>
>>9078906
Where is she from? I would wife her pretty quickly.
>>
>>9078978
Fair enough. Talk about going into the lion's den.
>>
>>9079013
I think it's pretty funny that the far right people are significantly more willing than the far left to listen to his criticisms of them, even though they're pretty much identical
>>
>>9079029
Well the question is if either side is willing to change their opinions in response to criticism, and that seems to me unlikely.
>>
>>9079053
I want to see him have a sincere discussion with an intelligetn communist.
>>
File: Bloom Giggle.jpg (9KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Bloom Giggle.jpg
9KB, 250x250px
>>9079095
>Intelligetn
>Intelligent communists
>>
>>9079108
Interesting to note that Harold Bloom dislikes Jung
>>
>>9079095
>discussion with an intelligetn communist
I doubt that'll ever happen to anybody.
>>
>>9079095
I'd like to see that too, but I suspect it would be exactly like the discussion he had with Sam Harris.
>>
>>9079159
They'd probably go around in circles over historical details rather than epistemology though
>>
>>9079201
Exactly.

I've heard Peterson criticize several assumptions that are at the base of Marxism for sure.
>>
File: image.png (330KB, 382x417px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
330KB, 382x417px
>>9077518

Why no Julian Jaynes?
>>
>>9079228
Because he's not fucking insane.
>>
>>9077518
Christian apologists should be gassed
>>
File: image.png (35KB, 372x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
35KB, 372x300px
>>9079239

Neither was Julian Jaynes. My intro. psychology textbook lifts entire descriptions of consciousness from Julian Jaynes. Just because his theory of history is crazy doesn't mean he won't expand your understanding of the mind during the process. Most of what he's said is reasonably backed by anthropological neuroscientific insights, so he's not easily refuted.
>>
>>9078348
t. someone who read translations
>>9078245
Athenaze
>>9078256
I'd add the nine lyric poets and Theocritus
>>
>>9079251
He's not a Christian apologist. Christians aren't Jungians, and would consider any Jungian interpretation of Christianity a heresy.
>>
>>9079260
Wrong
>>
>>9078348
>?
>?
>Nietzsche
>>
>>9077518
I am sick and tired of this. Every day I come to /lit/, and every day there is at least one thread up with an OP image of an attractive old man dressed sharply and posing seductively. It's probably the same one or two people who do it honestly. Let me tell you something, you faggot pieces of shit who are doing this: you are the poster child for everything that is wrong in literature, art, and society as a whole today. You are incapable of coming up with anything creative, thought provoking, or of substance, and you lack even the smallest modicum of intelligence, so you use "style" and "class" and "respectability" in place of it and to draw attention to yourself, because that's the only way your SHIT "creation" and ideas would ever get seen by anyone. And before you say anything, this has NOTHING to do with the fact that I am an hormone addled teenager. Anyway, I will be petitioning the owner of this website to ban your asses, so enjoy being able to post here while it lasts, because it's not going to last long, just like you that one time you convinced your Old English teacher to let you fuck him.
>>
File: nestpasunargument.jpg (17KB, 720x533px) Image search: [Google]
nestpasunargument.jpg
17KB, 720x533px
>>9079264
>>
>>9079282
90% of Christians don't give a shit about "heresy" and can twist their religion into being anything they want. Like Kant before him, Peterson is trying to invent some kind of philosophical justification for retarded Christian dogma. He just pretends to be "interpreting" Christianity so he doesn't look like an evangelical.
>>
>>9079259
>t. someone who read translations
But English is the new Latin, and Lattimore is absolutely fine. Take advantage of the lingua france of the ascending culture.

There is a certain kind of thoroughness which is but the excuse for inactivity. Think of what Goethe understood about antiquity: certainly not as much as any classicist, and yet quite enough to enable him to engage in fruitful struggle with it. One -should- not, in fact, know more about a thing than one can oneself digest creatively. Moreover the only means of truly understanding something is one's attempt to -do- it. Let us try to live in the manner of the ancients – and we shall instantly come a hundred miles closer to them than with all our learnedness. Our classicists nowhere demonstrate that they somehow strive to vie with antiquity; that is why -their- antiquity is without any effect on the contemporary.
-Nietzsche
>>
>>9079295
Lattimore is fine if you want to say you read Homer. But you're not reading Homer. You're reading a paraphrase of Homer. Homer is a POET, he infuses his poetry with melopoeia in a way that cannot be translated. You're a middlebrow: elitist enough to care about Homer but not actually interested enough to learn Greek to read him properly.

And that Nietzsche quote is irrelevant and shows a lack of comprehension of him.
>>
>>9078527
Borges is good.
>>
>>9079291
>90% of Christians don't give a shit about "heresy" and can twist their religion into being anything they want.

[citation needed]
>>
>>9079312
Go outside. Most people who call themselves "Christians" don't even have a passing familiarity with the Bible.
>>
File: hawwwwww.jpg (73KB, 810x660px) Image search: [Google]
hawwwwww.jpg
73KB, 810x660px
>>9079291
>anyone who doesn't immediately and vociferously shit all over Christianity (One of the largest and most fragmented categories of religious belief) in tacitly endorsing it and working to build justifications for all of Christian doctrine.

Reductionist degenerates should fucking leave
>>
>>9079295
Nietzsche actually knew Greek, Latin, French, and Hebrew.

You'll actually notice in history that the only people who have anything interesting to say about writers are the ones who read them in their original language.
>>
>>9079327
Look at the list, literally half of it is Christian bullshit. Peterson is obviously an apologist.
>>
>>9079308
I love that in 2017 you can basically claim that any quotation of Nietzsche betrays an ignorance of The Essential Nietzsche since he's been misquoted so often.
>>
>>9079338
Dostoevsky and Tolstoy are some of the greatest writers of all time, retard
>>
>>9079338
Rabid atheists can leave too.
>>
>>9079341
The quote is much deeper than you understand. Nietzsche, as a philologist, would probably tell you that there are no satisfactory Greek translations.
>>
>>9079354
>>9079347
>we NEED religion, maaan, Christianity is great, here, read these books about it
>no I'm not an apologist, I just think that Christians are right about stuff, like, symbolically
>read Jung
>>
>>9078348
wheat | chaff
>>
>>9079258
>that innocent honesty
by far the most adorable /lit/ faux pas
>>
>>9079338
if it has wheels it must be a car
>>
File: Sam The Autist Harris.jpg (89KB, 852x958px) Image search: [Google]
Sam The Autist Harris.jpg
89KB, 852x958px
>>9079367
Calm down Harris.
>>
File: mfwnihilistseverywhere.jpg (292KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
mfwnihilistseverywhere.jpg
292KB, 2560x1440px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8IhBaObuKc
>>
>>9079275
This is next level
>>
>>9079308
It's not elitist to care about Homer, he's just one of the basics. Lattimore is fine for everything except the poetry, is what you seem to be saying. I don't think someone should learn Greek just to enjoy the earliest example within a primitive art form. Students of poetry, yes. But starting with the Greeks is only instructive because of their superior cultural values generally, not to appreciate their art. Art has progressed. That's the relevancy of the quote.
>>
>>9079331
And despite that, he himself says that the most important elements of a work can be translated.
>>
>>9079273
basically yeah, that's the link I was going for. He's also on Peterson's list
>>
>>9078348
Thanks of the advice anon
>>
>>9079275
>Anyway, I will be petitioning the owner of this website to ban your asses

So you are going to take this to Hiroyuki Nishimura? Good luck mate.
>>
>>9077980
the gulag archipelago isn't fiction tho
>>
File: 1485787573867.png (27KB, 500x775px) Image search: [Google]
1485787573867.png
27KB, 500x775px
>>9079338
>>
>>9079095
>intelligetn communist

Can you give an example of one?
>>
>>9077934
>Meme magic

Please go back to /pol/
>>
it's a plebeian list.

I know that will be hard for many to admit, but it's true.

you can't defend someone's taste simply because they are /ourguy/
>>
>>9081028
What would be a better list in your opinion?
>>
>>9078273
Carl jung was one of the most influential pyscholgists and a major influence to Peterson
>>
>>9079264
Wow thats a powerful argument
>>
>>9078512
This
>>
>>9078104
Crime and Punishment is by Dostoevsky not Tolstoy
>>
>>9079320
>Most people who call themselves "Christians" don't even have a passing familiarity with the Bible.
They believe in a literal God, I would argue that Jung didnt. How well versed they are in the bible is irrelevant.
>>
File: image.png (24KB, 370x370px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
24KB, 370x370px
>>9079378

why I oughtta
>>
>>9081048
see
>>9077522
>>
>>9079260
Jungians should be gassed 2 t b h.
>>
>>9079053
I think the goal is generally to display the arguments side by side for the audience rather than to convince whoever he's talking to.
>>
>>9079331

Aquinas only read Aristotle in Latin.
>>
>>9078906
>when he starts shitting on the concept of white nationalism right to her face
I don't mind this guy
>>
>>9077525
so basically scrap the whole list and just read tolstoy. jesus you fucks suck his dick so hard. the guy fucked slaves.
>>
>>9078134
rekt. i like this guy. 9/10 would frequent psychoanalysis
>>
>>9077985

>believes him to be an even greater genius than Freud.

Largely indifferent to Peterson but he is right on that one.
>>
>>9081808

>the guy fucked slaves.

And? You understand how many great writers in history were shitty people in their private lives right? GTFO with your shitty book burning mentality.
>>
>>9081849
>defending a slave fucker
well i guess we shall allow our artists to do whatever they like as long as the art is good enough.
>>
>>9081859

4/10

You got greedy too quickly.
>>
>>9081868
>thinking this is bait
you hedonists are so willing to give up morality for pleasure in the form of entertainment
"don't matter if he raped a baby, long as ah get muh books"

i'm really proud of you.
>>
>>9077518

>of critical importance

jesus christ, really?
>>
>>9081872
Wow you arent in favor of raping a baby, good on you anon!

The fact that an author did something immoral doesnt discredit his work and condemning his actions is a weak argument against the content of his book.
>>
>>9081913
It does, and the weakness of the argument in your opinion is irrelevant. If I raped a child and wrote a masterpiece beyond all masterpieces, would it be worth the rape of the child? No. Would it stop me from being a filthy child rapist? No. Is an author's work tainted by his actions? Yes. If you don't wish to resist the works of a man who fucked slaves, that is a moral failing on your part, not mine.
>>
>>9081924
>If I raped a child and wrote a masterpiece beyond all masterpieces
Then you would be a child rapist and your book would be a masterpiece. You and your book are seperate things.
>>
File: 1459146593010.jpg (12KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1459146593010.jpg
12KB, 300x300px
>>9081872

You remove all the context from suffering and creation and bastardize art down to some witless yes/no binary of approach.

Stop reading; you suck at it.
>>
Symbols of Transformation should be read before
The Archetypes of the Collective Unconscious
>>
>>9081933
You're not getting it. You are willing to trade that masterpiece for the raping of a child or a slave or what have you, by separating the work from the creator. Is not creation an act? The masterpiece is just another act as the rape. They are not separate simply because you wish to appreciate the work. And make no mistake, the only reason you have decided to make the distinction is due to self interest. You want the masterpiece so badly that you're willing to overlook the very rape of a child. For christ sales, people boycott businesses for the sake of their owner's merest opinion, and this person literally fucked slaves, and you don't bat an eye beceause you're so driven to enjoy their product. You're morally bankrupt for the sake of your pleasures.
>>
>>9081936
>with enough context, raping babies is fine
besides, if anything, I'm adding context to a work by considering the other acts of the author.
>>
>>9081956

>throwing out this hysterical scenario to try and character assassinate because you're an overly emotional person

Miss, calm yourself. Go and get a glass of water.
>>
File: shrink.jpg (60KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
shrink.jpg
60KB, 700x700px
Is there going to be a second debate?
Harris didn't even take his gloves off in the first one.
I want to see him totally crush Peterson, to destroy him with pure reason.
Sam probably has better things to do however. It must be pretty humiliating for Jordan to be so utterly dismissed by a legitimate public intellectual.

Pic related, Jordan.
>>
>>9081963
>i'm not only a baby rape apologist, i'm a sexist too!
>>
>>9081966
Harris is a joke
>>
>>9081967

8/10

Not for that post. It was shit. Just the fact that you ended up getting me right back in the mix. Well played, faggot.
>>
>>9081969
>Harris
>calm, cool, rational. willing to compromise to push discussion along, critical acclaim, large following
>Peterson
>teary, literally begins to cry when he loses, requires long breaks to process information, irrational, emotional, followed by Nazi frog posters, a joke in the university system, has a slutty daughter

Yeah Harris is the joke.
>>
>>9081971
if you would pause for a moment in the decision to lynch Tolstoy for the sake of his literature, then you are indeed a defender of one who fucks slaves. starving dirt floor slaves.
>>
>>9081951
I am not overlooking what Tolstoy did, fucking slaves is wrong. His books however, didnt fuck slaves and boycotting his works doesnt do anything since he is long dead.
>>
File: 1385301631151.png (314KB, 368x447px) Image search: [Google]
1385301631151.png
314KB, 368x447px
>>9081976
>willing to compromise to push discussion along

Yeah, right.
>>
>>9081976
Peterson is a joke, too. Don't worry.
Harris claims to be a skeptic and he's a naïve realist at best.
>>
>>9081976
I mean... Let them speak about pronouns or stupid shit, but in a epistemological sense they are no more than a pair of fools
>>
>>9081980

You already played the retard ruse once.

It's not going to work a second time.
>>
>>9081976
Tell me again how harris was willing to compromise
>>
>>9081976
>has a slutty daughter
sauce?
>>
>>9081983
boycotting his works gives you peace of mind knowing that you are not propagating the idea that you will be immortalized in culture as an artistic hero even if you fuck your defenseless slaves with impunity.
>>
>>9082009
He was a great artist and he deserves to be seen as a artistic hero, he also was a slave fucker and needs to be seen as a slave fucker.
>>
>>9082033
>as long as we pay penance by acknowledging the rape of slaves, we can enjoy war and peace without guilt

that's like a white man enjoying a song by kanye.
>>
>>9082052
You were doing just fine, don't overdo it.
>>
>>9082052
>>9082067
shut the fuck up already. neither of you is going to 'win' this argument
>>
>>9082067
>a slave rape apologist is being condescending
what a surprise that an egotist has a problem objectifying morality.
>>
>>9082069
>thinking this is about "winning"
it's a legitimate question to be considered philosophically, and to shin discussion is to shun the furtherance of humanity. shame on you for stifling he healthy dissent of the greatest minds of our generation.
>>
>>9082080
>positing legitimate philosophical questions to anonymous internet strangers in adversarial 5 minute long interactions
>furthering humanity
>>
>>9082089
if condescension had mineral value, you would be a veritable mine, my friend.
to influence one man with healthy discussion, is to influence the next great author, the next great baby fucker, the next great entrepeneur, the next great inventor, the next great leader of men. If you do not believe in the promise of influence, you are just a measly shitposter and should question your lifestyle and merit as a human being.
>>
>>9081933
That's not entirely true when the author sledgehammers you with an ideal or a bunch of moral posturing but behaves in a hypocritical manner that creates a contradiction or paradox between the work and it's author.
>>
>>9082096
if inane posturing wasn't so fucking obnoxious, you might have a point or something

No truths exist on 4chan. Consensus of the most persistent of shitposters is that which determines 'good' and 'bad' influences. The fate of humanity does not hinge on two dullards' emotionally mixed up argument, and if it does god fucking help us.
>>
>>9082109
this guy, you, i like you. i wpuld have followed that argument myself, but i doubted it would have done anything but helped him separate his work from his writing. but i definitely agree that it's very odd to get chided by ol grandpappy tolstoy on the merits of a sanctified marriage while he was out raping his slaves on the days he had writer's fatigue.

>>9082111
no, i get it, you're a pessimist who believes that because he has nothing to offer (since he's a shitposter), that no one else has anything to offer here, and that there is nothing to be learned.

i really hope you can escape that prison, you're only gimping yourself.
>>
>>9082132
>no, i get it, you're a pessimist who believes that because he has nothing to offer (since he's a shitposter), that no one else has anything to offer here, and that there is nothing to be learned.
no
>>
>>9082140
yes.
>>
>>9082145
you are repeating arguments of exchanges that have occurred innumerous times, empty tropes used to dominate the unseen foe belying your impotent machinations. little wrestling matches with our fingers. nothing is resolved, as you know quite well. after all, if they were you'd stop coming here
>>
>>9082164
many of my arguments have been handily resolved and i have done nothing but gain perspective and appreciation. even this discussion between you and i is of great interest and satisfying for me. whether or not the arguments are the same as they have always been does nothing against the furtherance of humanity. with repetition comes refinement and eventually, perfection.
>>
>>9082173
ur also really fucking dumb and nobody cares
>>
>>9082178
my dear sweet shitposter, even you have use in this grand world of mine, be not so unkind to yourself!
>>
>>9082185
>grand world of mine
>mine
no, now go away
>>
>>9082187
oh you, my grand world is just the world i see. it's not an implication of ownership over the worlds that we all share. i need people like you and others to help me see more and more. i do thank you for it too.
>>
Why the fuck does he keep talking about St George and the Dragon
>>
>>9082246
it's just another rickety puzzle piece in his analysis of culture
>>
>>9082052
>that's like a white man enjoying a song by kanye
So youre a racist? I thought you had the moral high ground.
>>
>>9079273
Alexander, The Great
Hannibal
Nietzche
>>
>>9081811
I... like you too anon
>>
>>9082721
it was a joke. interesting that you concede i had the moral high ground though.
>>
File: jordanpeterson.png (43KB, 906x173px) Image search: [Google]
jordanpeterson.png
43KB, 906x173px
>>9081976
>>
what has happened
>>
>>9085377
I dont know anon
>>
>>9084047
I was joking friend
>>
File: 1485892815407.jpg (65KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1485892815407.jpg
65KB, 480x360px
>>9081966
>legitimate public intellectual
>harris

Thats a good one
>>
>>9081976
>has a slutty daughter

suddenly i'm interested
>>
>>9082007
>>9086036
It's not the case. On her Instagram, half of her posts are fawning over her boyfriend. There isn't a single slutty thing. She actually seems like a perfect waifu.

https://www.instagram.com/mikhailapeterson/
>>
>>9082246
it's a masculine archetype, it's about how men have to prove themselves to be worthy.
>>
>>9077522
>http://sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html
>Germany
>Erasmus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>9086096
Is there a book I should start with or should I just work down the list?
>>
>>9082080
I like this guy
>>
>>9077518
Crime and Punishment is really underwhelming after you've read Notes.
>>
>>9084689
Peterson may be mentally unstable but his ideas are better than Sam Harris'
>>
>>9086148
Im almost finished notes from the underground. Its my first Dostoevsky book. Where should I go next?
>>
Why was their debate suddenly an important event with dozens of threads made about it? I don't keep up with these things.
>>
>>9086162
I think theres just a lot of Peterson fanboys on /lit/
>>
>>9078222
Why exactly would that ironic
>>
>>9079338
Which half? I dont see any.
Peterson considers Nietzsche's Antichrist to be one of the greatest books ever written.
>>
>>9077525
>Orwell beyond 1984
Pleb
>>
>>9086238
This
I think orwells best work was road to Wigan Pier
Or at least his most under appreciated
>>
>>9086048
>Purple dyed hair

You need to up your slut detecting mechanisms, anon, before you get wrecked.
>>
>>9078348
>the books are boring as fuck

Plebeian
l
e
b
e
i
a
n
>>
>>9086048
people who know her through school have confirmed she is a slut but that is the norm these days.
She also has major mental health issues, like her father. These people have terrible genetics, sad!
>>
>>9086267
She is also very average looking, boyfriend looks like chad. Backs up what others have said.
>>
File: 1386255708318.jpg (20KB, 651x391px) Image search: [Google]
1386255708318.jpg
20KB, 651x391px
>>9086407
>>
>>9086407
Do we know what is wrong with Jordan?
Why does he keep breaking down?
>>
>>9086048
It seems her name is Mikhail Peterson.
Sounds very russian, did peterson name her after a Dostoevsky character?
>>
>>9081976
>willing to compromise
Harris was so fucking anal I finished the podcast with only one conclusion drawn, that he is a high-functioning autist.

Harris has not the self-control to be both a debater and a moderator, if they wish to debate again, they'll need to set a venue and a third party.
>>
>>9086633
He sees the end result of moral relativism at a time when Civilization is being split between the evils of being too comfortable too long, and what morals an untested West might cling to if times go bad.

He's read a fuck ton of literature regarding the effects of the Soviet occupation, the idea that a "rational" human can be brought down the genocides path so easily is terrifying to him. Hence the strange need to defend an ailing Christianity, as even in its twilight ghost state, it still provides rough bones to the societies of the West.
>>
>>9086633
There's literally nothing wrong with him, other than the fact that he has said he has occasional seasonal depression because of the fucking darkness of Canadian winters, and no wonder.
>>
He just needs Xanax.
>>
>>9086656
This
Harris could have just accepted that they have different definitions of truth and continued the conversation.

All harris had to do was call petersons definition of truth 'moral truth' and his definition of truth 'newtonian truth' or something to that effect.

But harris saw his inability to convince peterson that morals and truth are seperate as a failure on his part and threw in the towel.

I predict that harris and peterson wont have another podcast together at least 6 months.
>>
>>9086658
I think you are right anon
>>
>>9086389
If you start with the wrong books and they go over your head then yes they are boring.
>>
>>9082173
>>9082164
You are both right
>>
>>9086680
>I predict that harris and peterson wont have another podcast together at least 6 months.

I doubt they ever will have one again. Harris was quite adamant in his blogpost after the podcast that since Peterson didn't accept the correspondence theory of truth, there was no point continuing the discussion over to other topics like the power of myth or Jungian archetypes. Harris no doubt believes that these things are incoherent sophistry just like most rationalistic positivists.
>>
>>9079201
>They'd probably go around in circles over historical details

But history happened, so one of them can actually be correct.
>>
>>9086754
That is not a healthy looking poo
What did you eat?
>>
>>9077522
should i learn greek to really get it or stick to an inferior translation?
>>
>>9087744
Don't waste your time learning a ton of languages to become "well read", especially when you could just spend that time reading actually works of literature.
>>
>>9086758
this
>>
I'm livin one hell of a life crazy colored karats baby cover your eyes Foreign headlights and I'm smoking alot, One of those nights in my hell of life, i brought out all the Ice so I shine like a star You see me from afar girl you know who im are A ghetto superstar in a hell of a car (Gucci Nigga)
A ghetto superstar its a hell of a life

Rosemary not beer Toast baby say cheers major ice make you go burr Cake so big its like yeah Swag so stupid im a real tybear yeah A bunch of street niggas get off no labor See me on the flat screen now I'm on cable Able and its Human nature the haters playa get paper Money like skyscrapers Its gucci
>>
https://youtu.be/1gdpyzwOOYY
>>
>>9077985
actually I'd like to hear your thoughts on why Jung is trash
>>
>>9086407
>SAD!
>>
Anyone else think his anti-depressant consumption is odd?
I like the guy but, considering all he says, taking anti-depressants seems like his own psych shit doesn't work.
>>
>>9077518
>The Kingdom of God is Within You
Haven't read his book but his argument is sound, considering the Abrahamic faiths were all influenced by Zoroastrianism--not to mention the Epic of Gilgamesh, Bhagavad Gita, ancient Hebrew poems (The Book of Job[ab]), every Pagan religion and mythology ever--Zoroastrians also influenced, if not created, Mahayana Buddhism. Zoroastrianism, although having a deity and not teaching reincarnation, is similar to Buddhism in some of its doctrine as well as placing responsibility on the individual, promoting the pursuit of knowledge ("the truth" refers to the enlightenment/Nirvana/the Theory of Everything) and self-improvement. Once people realize this, the beneficial function of religion is clear and since all the Abrahamic faiths stem from Zoroastrianism (and whatever Zoroastrianism stems from, unless it truly was original) the introspective/self-improvement/enlightenment nature is within them as well.
>>
>>9086658
This
>>
>>9090107
>Anyone else think his anti-depressant consumption is odd?
What anti-depressants anon? I havent heard about this.
>>
>>9077775
You faggots are so fickle that every time I come here there's a new flavour-of-the-month messiah ready to save you from yourselves.
>>
>>9090465
How is that related? Why did you feel the need to share that?
>>
>>9081808
I unironically agree
>>
>>9091053
>>9081808
wrong link, meant to link >>9081859
>>
>>9081808
>the guy fucked slaves
alpha as fuck.
>>
>>9090465
what a shitty post
>>
>>9086048
would unironically wife just to get close to her father
>>
>>9078065
All it takes to dismiss anglo psychiatry is to take a look at their national character.
>>
>>9091067
fucking celebdigger.

is celebdigger the right word here, though?
>>
>>9091091
It's not about celebrities you retarded woman, the guy is has a lot of interesting things to say.
>>
>>9091099
>has a lot of interesting things to say.
you could just try and talk the GUY, you worthless cunt, and not try to "unironically wife" his daughter.
>>
>>9091107
Mate his clinical practice schedule is probably full for years and I cant just enroll in the University of Toronto
plus I'm all the way over here in Europe
>>
>>9091114
>implying the only way to get the man to say a word or 2 to you is by getting in a formal relationship with his daughter.
i'm sure there are plenty o people he talks to who are not related to him.

even if you are not able to visit him, i'm sure people like him might just reply to you if you just throw him an email.
i bet it is a lot less hassle then getting married to his daughter.
>>
>>9091124
I've written him a short e-mail before, with no response
>>
>>9091188
>he doesn't call Jordan's office number off his website and leave him long winded voicemails about Pinocchio and the lion king

how pleb can you get?
>>
>>9091276
kek
there's probably someone that does this
>>
>>9077518
is this peterson's wife/ex-wife?
>>
>>9091053
>nowthatsedgy.jpg
>>
>>9077518
Why are you so obsessed with this dude?
>>
>>9086407
Well, obviously she's a slut. Every young woman is a slut in 2017.
>>
>>9091821
And every guy is a NEET virgin
>>
>>9079275
Triggered
>>
>>9091811
spot the female
>>
>>9091124
This
>>
>>9090465
What was the previous messiah of /lit/?
>>
>>9091188
What did you ask him?
>>
>>9087744
You would be wasting your time
>>
He's a hack and an embarrassment on the province.
>>
>>9077518
>No James Joyce

Dropped
>>
>>9077518
>peterson

OP, I want you to know how deeply embarrassed I am for you.

Also, you can find any of this shit on a introductory /lit/ essentials thread. It's generic opinions 101.

>>9078014
>speculative evolutionary psychology

Why the fuck do people who want to talk about "evolutionary" """""psychology"""""" have no concept about how to prove if something is an adaptation or not.

Because spoiler alert, it's not just speculation based on morphology.

But yes, @ Petersen capitalizing on the notoriety he's receiving. Although I'm not sure if I would categorize that as winning. While he definitely has attracted some very devoted followers who paint him as an intellectual martyr, he's also alienated himself from a huge portion of the university establishment. I don't know a lot about university politics, but that seems like the sort of thing that could bite you in the ass.

Regardless, there will be no shortage of interviews for him.

>>9091811
Because he hates the SJWs, so he's a hero to people who care about the most boring of all topics.
>>
>>9078185
>influential means good
>>
>>9078906
>old hags
>hot
>>
>>9093364
>I want you to know how deeply embarrassed I am for you.
Im interested to hear what your problem with peterson is.
>>
>>9079347
>russian
>good writers
>>
>>9086647
it's Mikhaila, and yes it's russian.
Peterson even married a babushka-looking woman and has tons of russian artwork in his house. He is a huge russiaboo.
>>
>>9093455
But they are
>>
>>9093466
I guess (non soviet) Russia isnt a bad country to idolize.
>>
>>9078134
Fuck off, Finland
>>
>>9077518
It's the reasonable list for alt-right pseuds who think theyre Fighting Cultural Marxism and Saving Western Civilization.
>>
>>9079291
>90% of Christians don't give a shit about "heresy" and can twist their religion into being anything they want.
This reminds me of the age-old "Did St. Augustine make Aristotle a Christian or was Aristotle a Christian?"
>>
>>9093558
What list would you suggest anon?
>>
>>9091276
Hahahaha
>>
File: 1485304818880.jpg (42KB, 557x365px) Image search: [Google]
1485304818880.jpg
42KB, 557x365px
>>9093364
>Marxists are STILL this butthurt about Peterson
It will never, ever stop being hilarious.
>>
>>9093668
>>>/his/
>>
>>9081936
tehe art is separate from the artist
>>
>>9081976
>rationality is good because i said so
Fuck off Platonist.
>>
>>9091821
Its because of the birth control pill and the decline of culture
>>
File: 1486875645195.png (2MB, 2555x852px) Image search: [Google]
1486875645195.png
2MB, 2555x852px
>>9077518
>>
>>9081028
it's a list FOR PLEBS

how do people not get this
>>
>>9093919
>???
>Plato
>Tolstoy
>Jung
>Orwell
>le guleg archipelago man
>Freud
>Dostoyevsky
>Dawkins
>Aristotle
>Nietzsche

Who is the first guy? Pretty proud of myself for knowing the rest desu
>>
>>9094342
*Darwin not Dawkins
>>
>>9094353
>>9094342
Dawkins would be a bit out of place in that list
>>
>>9094330
What would be a better list?
>>
is Jordan Peterson the Glycerine (Bush) of modern philosophy?
>>
>>9077518
Ideally you should've started in high school. Literature isn't a hollywood film series. Good literature is like mathematics. When you finish you find fine your self naturalling gravity tating towards a work. As faulkner said, someone else wouldve written him. someone else would've written hemingway
>>
>>9094389
i'm not saying the list is bad, i'm saying the list is for people who are not particularly well-read (and it has a specific focus; it's not a read-this-to-be-patrician list). so saying it's "plebeian" completely misses the point that that is who it is meant for.
>>
>>9093378
Popularity gives some indication that something is good. It means a large amount of people think that thing is of value.
>>
>>9094405
I think this list is alright to start with and by the time you have finished you will know what you want to read.
>>
>>9093668
Kek
>>
>>9077518
seems like yet another half-assed and just plain shit at times meme-list.

I can give you mine, but it's a list of authors, in a consequence you should try and read them.
>>
>>9094765
No it doesn't you fucking idiot, that's a liberal me-me.
>muh democratic vote on quality gives objective quality
>>
>>9095406
>It means a large amount of people think that thing is of value.

This is true though. Whether people agree with me or not is another matter.
>>
>>9095406
>im so much smarter than the rest of the population
>>
>>9096235
>this is true
Fuck off.
>>9097740
t. fedoraman that probably believes in the race science and IQ.
>>
>>9097806
>>9096235
It is true tho
>>
>>9097806
>probably believes in the race science and IQ

No
>>
>>9094342
Im proud of you anon, you did well.
The first guy is Kropotkin. I dont agree with most of his conclusions he made but I did enjoy reading it.
>>
why am I so addicted to listening to jordan peterson?
>>
>>9099016
He is a pretty interesting guy
>>
File: images-23.jpg (10KB, 381x132px) Image search: [Google]
images-23.jpg
10KB, 381x132px
>>9093919
Fedoras are unstoppable
>>
>>9095193
Whats your list of authors anon?
>>
>>9091188
>Someone doesnt reply to my email I want and marry their daughter so I can talk to them.
>>
how does one sort themselves out lads?
>>
>>9099222
>implying any of us would be here on 4chan we knew how to sort ourselves out
>>
File: 1486932845538.jpg (585KB, 882x880px) Image search: [Google]
1486932845538.jpg
585KB, 882x880px
>>9099222
By saving their father from the bottom of the ocean, obviously.
>>
>>9099222
become a mormon
go missionary
find qt mormon wife
marry her
fuck her missionary
>>
File: JP.jpg (441KB, 1000x636px) Image search: [Google]
JP.jpg
441KB, 1000x636px
>>9099222
by being the archetypical male meta-hero. Go slay the dragon.
>>
>>9086096
He just put Erasmus there because he didn't want to make a separate section, which he explains in the book
>>
>>9099222
By reading the list i guess
>>
>>9093364
Evolutionary psychology is not speculation, but we all knew you were a pseud who hasn't studied the field anyway
>>
>>9099250
By father does he mean the Greeks? The Greeks were kind of the fathers of western civilization right? Is Jordan Peterson telling us to start with the Greeks?
>>
>>9099278
slay the dragon?
i think you mean befriend the dragon.
>>
>>9099363
>Evolutionary psychology is not speculation
No, because EP has its carefully controlled experiments, with a null group and everything - no? Then it's nothing but speculation
>>
>>9099967
Well peterson doesnt subscribe to that version of the story

He has to slay bill C16 and neo-marxism
>>
>>9093919
Almost everyone in that picture is shit
>>
>>9081902
The reading list is for his maps of meaning course, so in that context they are pretty important
>>
>>9095406
>>muh democratic vote on quality gives objective quality

Thats not accurate at all

>>9094765 said that
>It means a large amount of people think that thing is of value.

Those statements are not the same
Thread posts: 298
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.