[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Polish literature

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 12

File: prus boleslaw portret_6245509.jpg (338KB, 709x818px) Image search: [Google]
prus boleslaw portret_6245509.jpg
338KB, 709x818px
Let's hash out Polish literature and its language. On a personal note, I haven't read anything Polish yet, so any suggestions?
>>
>>9075107
Witold Gombrowicz
>>
File: Czesław Miłosz.jpg (53KB, 249x299px) Image search: [Google]
Czesław Miłosz.jpg
53KB, 249x299px
Czesław Miłosz
>>
I've only read the doll by boleslaw prus. It's like a polish war and peace or buddenbrooks.
>>
>polish intellectuals
>>
I wonder, why is Polish literature despite all its richness so little known abroad?
>>
>>9075168
german detected
>>
>>9075292
Because it is shit and you are inflating it due to national pride

Also, Poland simply didn't exist when all the other classics were being written, hence why there is no Polish literature from then
>>
>>9075665
>he hasn't read Gombrowicz
embarrassing

>>9075107
Read Kosmos, there's a pretty reasonable English translation somewhere online
>>
>>9075665
>Because it is shit and you are inflating it due to national pride
pleb detected
>>
File: 1468763963374.jpg (68KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
1468763963374.jpg
68KB, 620x465px
Native pole here,
IMO best writers are Hłasko, Lem, Witkacy, Schulz, Słowacki, Grudziński, and Herbert.
>>9075669
I read Ferdydurke and didn't liked it at all, are his other works better?
>>
>>9075665
Sorry to break it to you, but I'm not from Poland neither am I Polish myself.
>>
>>9075292
I think the main reason is lack of good translations, sometimes there even aren't any (some main works of Witkacy haven't even been translated).
As a native, I can say that polish is one of those languages that require a lot of skill to translate well into english, but still there is a lot of shit lost.
>>
File: Karol_Irzykowski.jpg (15KB, 209x239px) Image search: [Google]
Karol_Irzykowski.jpg
15KB, 209x239px
This fucking autist
>>
File: rozewicz_tadeusz.jpg (41KB, 250x295px) Image search: [Google]
rozewicz_tadeusz.jpg
41KB, 250x295px
https://books.google.pl/books?id=H8P3WWPQ-goC&pg=PA425&lpg=PA425&dq=r%C3%B3%C5%BCewicz+postmodernism&source=bl&ots=yvwvJl6Azg&sig=8uCgSU6dKQ0L8TiJq6RCAajFqtU&hl=pl&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjt2L62qoDSAhWha5oKHRAMAvYQ6AEIITAA#v=onepage&q=r%C3%B3%C5%BCewicz%20postmodernism&f=false
>>
>>9075107
Andrzej Sapkowsk
>>
>>9075107
Read Olga Tokarczuk.

>>9077381
Other anon here. Yes, Ferdydurke is the worst of his works. Read Kosmos, then Trans-Atlantic, then his journals, which are actually the best.

Gombrowicz is extremely /lit/ too.
>>
>>9077543
Thoughts about this motherfucker?
>>
File: Tokarczuk_Ksiegi.jpg (455KB, 886x684px) Image search: [Google]
Tokarczuk_Ksiegi.jpg
455KB, 886x684px
>>9077585
forget pic
>>
>>9077543
do i need deep knowledge of xx century philosophy to understand kosmos?
>>
File: 635970171624402057.jpg (45KB, 467x700px) Image search: [Google]
635970171624402057.jpg
45KB, 467x700px
http://www.bookinstitute.pl/autorzy,literatura-polska.html

here they have a list of all the best contemporary authors from Poland, with descriptions. I think there's no point in reading most of non-contemporary literature from Poland.

Personally I think Andrzej Stasiuk is great. I loved his works from and about the prison.

From lit nobel prize winners read only Wislawa Szymborska and Czeslaw Milosz. But it's mostly poetry. I liked Czeslaw Milosz more, but I hear it's because of unfaithful translations.

Leszek Kolakowski, although a communist, was pretty rational about where communism failed, I recommend his works at the topic. On a side note, funny how they translated the title of his book from Is God Dead? to Is God Happy?

Bruno Schulz is my favorite jewish writer outside of Kafka. Sadly, he was killed after writing only few books.

I hear Olga Tokarczuk is considered the best living Polish author. Still haven't read The Books of Jacob. Is it even out in english yet? She's an author translated to over 30 languages, but we have only like three titles in english.

Stanislaw Lem is just fun and original oldschool science-fiction from the past century. The kind that doesn't get outdated or old. It's mostly about robots and quirks of the conscious technology.

>>9075665
Every single European and Asian country has a valuable literature. Read more books.
>>
>>9077543
fuck off, I don't read female authors
>>
>>9077632
all the authors you listed are essentially rubbish
>>
>>9077585
>>9077586
>>9077632
It's still being translated to english. Takes some time to do a massive monster like this. Great book though, Tokarczuk can write historical non-fiction in a fascinating way. Obviously a flagship of polish literature. I don't dig all of her metaphysics fairytale stuff so much, but this book goes around it, and when you see it, it has a purpose; would be hard to write a book about a jewish religious sect without mentioning what they believed in.

>>9077626
I like to think that you need a deep knowledge of XX century philosophy to understand anything, but it's actually very noobie friendly. Gombrowicz isn't really a philosopher, he writes a lot about literature and obsessions in life.
>>
>>9077637
I'm guessing you either don't read a lot (which is less than 100 books a year) or you're very young (which is around 20).

I think a lot of people on /lit/ discard many authors solely because they're not Proust, Kafka, Joyce, Dostoyevsky or even Mann, Hemming or James. This indeed is a literuare of higher level, but at some point you run out of the greatest. Obviously there's a lot of bad authors around, but calling these ones rubbish suggests you still hold unrealistic standards.
>>
You must read Witkiewicz, for me he is the best.He commited suicide when Russia attacked Poland in 1939
>>
Bruno Schulz, Gombrowicz, Wojaczek, Stasiuk, Hłasko, Witkacy.
>>
>>9075107
I don't know much about polish literature but I remember that Slawomir Mrozek is a cool guy. I enjoyed several short stories by him, usually slightly sarcastic, anti-communist and smart.
>>
File: tumblr_nf09vk2MgZ1ryr9lno2_540.jpg (50KB, 540x365px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nf09vk2MgZ1ryr9lno2_540.jpg
50KB, 540x365px
just read wojaczek my dude
>>
>>9075107
I am sick and tired of this. Every day I come to /lit/, and every day there is at least one thread up with an OP image of an attractive old man dressed sharply and posing seductively. It's probably the same one or two people who do it honestly. Let me tell you something, you faggot pieces of shit who are doing this: you are the poster child for everything that is wrong in literature, art, and society as a whole today. You are incapable of coming up with anything creative, thought provoking, or of substance, and you lack even the smallest modicum of intelligence, so you use "style" and "class" and "respectability" in place of it and to draw attention to yourself, because that's the only way your SHIT "creation" and ideas would ever get seen by anyone. And before you say anything, this has NOTHING to do with the fact that I am an hormone addled teenager. Anyway, I will be petitioning the owner of this website to ban your asses, so enjoy being able to post here while it lasts, because it's not going to last long, just like you that one time you convinced your Old English teacher to let you fuck him.
>>
File: photo.jpg (30KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
30KB, 540x960px
cipka
>>
>>9078852
nice poet and nice movie

Chodzą wokół zielonego drzewka
Wokół choinki chodzą całkiem nago
A każda trzyma w prawej ręce świecę
A każda świeca nierówno się spala

A lewą ręką każda każdą drapie
Drapie ją w plecy aż do krwi ją drapie
Potem przykłada święcę do krwawiącej rany
Potem porzuca świece i pod drzewkiem kuca

Kucają wokół zielonego drzewka

Rodzą potworki tureckim sposobem
A potem jakby całkiem zapomniały
Gdzie były Co robiły.
ubierają się i wychodzą
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.