[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need help choosing a book

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

Hey /lit/, I've wandered into a bookshop today and realized I haven't read a book in months. That being said', I'm a bit strapped for cash so only want one for now. Can you help? Here's what I found, tell me what to get first so I don't have to make decisions for myself.

I found The Complete Works of Shakespeare for cheap. I've read like 3 of his plays and seen 2. Not sure if all of Shakespeare is a must read. I enjoyed the ones I've read though (Hamlet, R&J, and the one about fairies, that one was pretty retarded imho). Might be cool to go through it.

I found Tolkien's Beowulf translation and they also have most of his othere books. I've been interested in his Beowulf and the other books are intriguing as well since I only read the LotR trilogy and I loved it, I would even consider getting the LotR books just because I only borrowed them from a friend before.

Discworld novels. I've read 4 so far and loved them, I would like to read them all eventually, I've read Equal Rites, first two Tiffany Aching books and Wyrd Sisters(I love the witches in Discworld).

I also found Good Omens, I love both Gaiman and Pratchett yet I didn't know they wrote a book together. No idea what it is but it has to be fucking good.

Game of Thrones. Not sure about this one, I don't watch the show because I wanted to read the books, but my friends are big fans of the show so a lot of the story is already spoiled for me. I've also heard his writing isn't that good.
>>
File: 1486300942444.gif (424KB, 533x468px) Image search: [Google]
1486300942444.gif
424KB, 533x468px
Desu GoT isn't that good, but I find it enjoyable and fun

I'd get Shakespeare though

Dumb K-On poster
>>
My diary desu
>>
bamp
>>
Certainly Beowulf and Shakespeare.

Go for Beowulf over Shakespeare. Not for preference in quality, but simply for the fact that Shakespeare is easier (and cheaper) to get by through over means, rather then a translation (still owned in copyright/ private domain) of a classic poem. If you can, of course - get both.

However it is your decision to make, I recommend reading Samuel Headly's translation over Tolkien's - but it is better to read both, as they both bring something new and great to the table. Tolkien would serve as a great introduction to the classic though, so it is better to start with him - he brings insightfully commentary to the poem.

Let us know of anything else catches your eye.
>>
>>9075078
You mean Seamus Heaney?
>>
File: Dazai_Osamu.jpg (19KB, 220x331px) Image search: [Google]
Dazai_Osamu.jpg
19KB, 220x331px
OP, read "The Setting Sun" by Osamu Dazai. It's a really fucking good, sobering read about post-War Japan. Just look it over. Pic related, it's Dazai looking all sad.

Also, /lit/, should I read "Revolutionary Road" by Yates. I've read lots of good reviews about it, but I was wondering if it was actually good.
>>
>>9075092
Fuff Xdddd
>>
Emile Durkheim - Rules of Sociological Method
>>
File: 1479594658425.jpg (1MB, 1920x1880px) Image search: [Google]
1479594658425.jpg
1MB, 1920x1880px
>>9075078
Thanks for the advice man. I guess I'll go on a ramen diet for a couple days and get both Beowulf and Shakespeare.

I have a question though. How do you read plays? I often get have a hard time visualising everything with just the dialog and I lose track of what the hell is going on from time to time, especially in Shakespeare.
>>
File: neetzhes.png (9KB, 758x96px) Image search: [Google]
neetzhes.png
9KB, 758x96px
>>9074294
Game of thrones is pretty entertaining and has good writing, IMO reading shakespeare plays is kind of stupid you are much better off watching it live or a recording with some great shakespearan actors like Ian McKlellan, Patrick Stewart, Judie dench or Kenneth Branagh. DGood shakespeare plays to read would be Macbeth, Titus stay away from the histories for now becasue they are all related.

Pic unrelated
>>
>>9075851
Normally you read it like a book, possible a little like poetry.

A good idea could be to read it like a chamber play, and read out loud every line in different characters, however it may be a problem with reading comprehension; but don't worry, you are not at all incapable of reading it, keep reading his work and you will get used to the language - it works pretty much automatically, and you will start picking up the language and nuances quite quickly.

One final recommendation: read it to a performance of the play, but only if you really struggle - as it's not ideal.

Other then that, I hope you enjoy them, good luck!
>>
If you like the Discworld witches read Witches Abroad. Or Lords and Ladies if you enjoyed Shakespeare's influence on Wyrd Sisters. I think Lords and Ladies comes first chronologically if that matters to you.
>>
>>9078303
Well, that sounds interesting, never thought about actually reading it aloud like a play, I'm sure I could also convince a couple friends who are into literature to do it with me, might be a fun evening.
>>
>>9074294
Based on your tastes in literature, I'd say go for Finnegans Wake. It is a very fun and interesting read, you're very likely to enjoy it.
>>
>>9078730
I tried Ulysses once, couldn't even get through 100 pages. Is this written differently?
>>
>>9078587
Do it, enjoy yourselves!
>>
Infinite Rainbow
>>
File: 9780007331918.jpg (44KB, 372x400px) Image search: [Google]
9780007331918.jpg
44KB, 372x400px
Borrowing thread
Is the Saxon Stories series by Bernard Cornwell good/worth getting into?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.